What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I use a vintage shim shown below which is 0.7mm thick compared to a standard modern blade which is 0.1mm thick. They certainly liked a large blade gap when they added a shim in the old days. 👍

View attachment 1210538
Very nice. I do not think I knew they had actual shims. I lean toward a large gap myself. Seems to make it easier to hack a straight line into the hairline on my neck and beard outline. I preferred a large gap shaving as well, when I started. Still sort of lean that way, as I like to feel the blade for some reason. but as my technique improved, I can now get a good shave with milder razors as well. But on the old type, for me, it just needs some shimming.

I use a vintage shim shown below which is 0.7mm thick compared to a standard modern blade which is 0.1mm thick. They certainly liked a large blade gap when they added a shim in the old days. 👍

View attachment 1210538

So that's what these are supposed to look like. Maybe mine whas over tightened on a daily basis...

DB517C90-3F27-4D49-A20E-EE366718A52B.jpeg
4E1F76CE-FA13-4D42-AE9E-28A608786476.jpeg

I have more than 16 Techs starting with the Pre-War Tech. But none of them has the aluminium bottom plate. So I finally got one. 1950s English Tech. They made me an offer I couldn't resist [4 EUR before shipping]. Pretty decent condition.
I've only got a couple of Techs but they are becoming an obsession. I did not know this particular configuration existed. Does it shave any differently than other Techs in your collection?

I've only got a couple of Techs but they are becoming an obsession. I did not know this particular configuration existed. Does it shave any differently than other Techs in your collection?

I haven't tried it yet. The aluminium bottom plate was an European thing during the 50s. There are German and English razors with it. In the 60s they stopped it.
I will try it the next week probably. Visually the geometry, exposure and gap look exacly like my 1954 US nickel plated Tech. And this is a rare case when 2 Techs are the same.

View attachment 1211273

just got this baby! Gamechanger .84 with UFO handle... my first SS razor and hopefully it will put a stop to the Compulsive buying disorder (CBD) I'm experiencing in lockdown :biggrin1:

I'll give it a go this evening...

That's what I thought. I started with the .68SB. Then I grabbed the 68OC. then the JAWS. Then the .84 became available, and I grabbed the SB, then the OC and then the JAWS. And of course I rounded out the collection with every handle I could get as they became available. I was done. My RAD was cured. I had all the razors I need - along with a few vintage Gillettes. Now I have a Lupo SS .95 on the way. AND I will most likely go back for the .72 and maybe even the double sided .72OC/.95.

Finally got to the local antique mall today. They had a few Canadian Gillette techs and I chose the best looking available one (none were pristine). $12. I've combed the forums to learn what I can. All I've figured so far is that it is "post war" (I think) and well-regarded. No brand marking at all on top of the cap. Can anyone else any more precise info on dating or otherwise? I'm going to try it out tomorrow with a Gillette 7 O'clock. Photos are here:

I've always been under the assumption that these marks are indentations caused by the baseplate or topcap of the razor. I've never seen an matching razor to be sure of that.
some times ago I bought a Petard set to test a new restoration process for liners.
I tried to get some info about Petard razor and I found on the web a very interesting post by thomas (Cha-wing!! here on b&b).
Les rasoirs D.Pétard - http://www.rasage-traditionnel.com/t13651-les-rasoirs-d-petard
here you can find a lot of interesting info.
ciao,
andrea
16114847562383524694376886265718.jpg

Gillette Tech Z4, gold plated ball end. I have 5 Techs, this is the sixth. Got it because it was priced dirt cheap ($17.20 shipped), was in impeccable condition, is the most reliable shaver ever (as I like to call it, the Kalashnikov of safety razors), and finally, because like many of you I also suffer from RAD.

Screenshot_20210124_185207.jpg

Top Bottom