What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Goodwill Update:
The razor was in pretty bad shape and I was able to clean and polish the Goodwill to a great looking old guy. Once I polished through the deteriorated lacquer and the thin gold wash I ended up with the red hue brass cap. I polished the cap to a nice reddish shine and paired it with an ATT copper handle. Looks great and the heaver longer handle improved an already great shave. Goodwill with a red hue brass cap, brass base, and a copper handle.

IMG_0109.jpg

Last edited:
I can definitely understand that. The Modern is mild yet efficient. I've shaved with it all week and it's a good razor. I do love the original small batch Ikons best up to the first version of the Ikon slant.
Totally agree. For me, the Modern was the best of them, then the S3S, then the H2O. All of these were better razors than any of the iKons that came thereafter, including the much-loved Deluxe OC, which I liked ok, but it wasn't a match for the original Gillette New Deluxe (imo).

Just received the RazoRock Game Changer .68. My first stainless steel razor and I have to say I’m very impressed considering the price compared to many others on the market. Extremely smooth DFS with an Astra SP. Using a Feather next time which I expect will be a closer shave.

Attachments

• 97FE7E5B-684D-47FE-A7EB-261E3B146B97.jpeg
    97FE7E5B-684D-47FE-A7EB-261E3B146B97.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 6ABC5BFE-C381-4426-9645-F2C209CD9271.jpeg
    6ABC5BFE-C381-4426-9645-F2C209CD9271.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 332AF047-79AC-42C2-952C-F01FFE7BF5B9.jpeg
    332AF047-79AC-42C2-952C-F01FFE7BF5B9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Found this at the antique store yesterday for $18 (pictures below). My knowledge of vintage razors is poor, but I think it's a Gillette Super Speed, though I'm sure someone can correct me if I am wrong. If I did my homework correctly, I think it's a 1947. It's tarnished and worn a bit. I took some Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush to it, but it still needs some work so I'll do some more research to see if I can't get it cleaned up a bit more (tips welcome). Otherwise mechanism seems to work fine and I look forward to taking it for a test drive after I'm done with the Fixed Four for March.

I also found a Gillette Aristocrat (in what appeared to be in good shape) with case for $50, but the higher price made it harder to pull the trigger. After getting home I started to regret not jumping on it, but thought I'd let the fine fellows at B&B talk me into or out of going back for it.

IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG

An Aristocrat in good shape (with a case) for $50 is a great deal. Go back and buy it! I paid more than that for a gold plated 1934 Aristocrat (open comb) with case on eBay. My Aristocrat is in great shape (TTO mechanism works perfectly, not much plating loss) and shaves great.

Found this at the antique store yesterday for $18 (pictures below). My knowledge of vintage razors is poor, but I think it's a Gillette Super Speed, though I'm sure someone can correct me if I am wrong. If I did my homework correctly, I think it's a 1947. It's tarnished and worn a bit. I took some Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush to it, but it still needs some work so I'll do some more research to see if I can't get it cleaned up a bit more (tips welcome). Otherwise mechanism seems to work fine and I look forward to taking it for a test drive after I'm done with the Fixed Four for March.

I also found a Gillette Aristocrat (in what appeared to be in good shape) with case for $50, but the higher price made it harder to pull the trigger. After getting home I started to regret not jumping on it, but thought I'd let the fine fellows at B&B talk me into or out of going back for it.

View attachment 1074925View attachment 1074926

View attachment 1074927View attachment 1074928
It's a late 40s superspeed, for sure; said to be the best shavers of the superspeed line by most.

It looks like it has some brassing. I would go after it with a microfiber cloth and some Flitz or Simichrome, but gently. It will shine up the intact plating but may accentuate the brassed areas a little bit.

Should still be a fine shaver, one way or the other.

View attachment 1074925View attachment 1074926

View attachment 1074927View attachment 1074928

Yup, 1947 Super Speed. Those are fantastic shavers. You can tell it’s a 1947 by the wings on each end of the center bar and no notches.
Good score. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks.

Here my two most recent scores-

1905 Gillette DR. I never thought I would get another one. I got lucky.

proxy.php

And a 1909 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. It’s the Floral motif. I love these old sets. They are among my most favored razors. This set is doubly desirable, due to the stamped baseplate.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Peace [emoji3522] fellows.
Alan.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hi folks.

proxy.php

And a 1909 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. It’s the Floral motif. I love these old sets. They are among my most favored razors. This set is doubly desirable, due to the stamped baseplate.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Alan.

Congrats, Alan! You deserve it!

I just ordered the 'Yaqi Knight Helmet' razor head after seeing it on here. Cost next to nothing on Aliexpress and even got a coupon for it. From looking at the reviews on here the perception seems to be that it is very aggressive. It certainly looks quite scary, but even if it turns out to not be my bag, it was cheap enough that I don't care.

View attachment 1071150

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
So this just arrived from China. Loaded a blade into it for tomorrow and it looks rather scary. I've put a milder blade in it for my first go, just to be on the safe side.
IMG_20200317_141829.jpg
IMG_20200317_141857.jpg

If that's the Yaqi Knight Helmet, be very careful. There is a ton of blade exposure on that beast.
I knew the risks when I bought it, and I am going to be very deft with it. Seeing the blade exposure for myself, it is a lot scarier up close. [emoji28]

Hi folks.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Alan.

Great to have you back on board, Alan!

Hi folks.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Alan.

Gorgeous Alan!!

Top Bottom