What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Wow! Congrats!! The razor is amazing!!
Nice set, what year? After a bit of looking I finally found a nice set in the metal travel case with blade bank, and now I have three sets and see them everywhere--gave one to my son just for beard clean up around his neck because DE's shave a much cleaner line than floppy cartridges

Just got an old Souplex razor in the post. It's one of the all metal models and came with its original bakelite case. It is very shiny and appears to be in perfect condition. Interested to see how it shaves, it's open comb but is incredibly light with a hollow handle.
IMG_20200313_133419.jpg
IMG_20200313_133449.jpg
IMG_20200313_133457.jpg
IMG_20200313_133508.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

What did I buy ?
Newbie here ........ saw this on eBay advertised as an ever ready at a rather nice price. Now as you have all spotted and indeed I did it's a nice little Gillette but I cannot work out year, the handle is hollow with the usual cracks where the top and bottom are pressed in. Seems in pretty good condition otherwise and came with a nice ever ready Bakelite box. For the price a bargain.
Any help on year appreciated best I can do is between the wars ?
And the million dollar question will it be an aggressive or mild shave?
How do I repair the handle? Only small cracks epoxy ?
Any comments help gratefully received.
5E518DC2-9965-4936-9FFC-F00FE1102C6B.jpeg3A3D3025-6038-437E-BAC4-562A8FE96261.jpeg71202791-B9F0-4E6E-8D97-34408BCBEF1C.jpeg7A523FC5-78A6-4E4E-858B-A8C4222AD66E.jpegBB88E252-9A25-4A1E-8A01-6C56CE4740E6.jpeg861B9C6F-7586-4692-9185-4C96EA200581.jpegE1F6E21E-98B2-4698-9881-2987CC8F182E.jpeg7576F16A-A664-4CCA-BF81-806B81977EAB.jpeg

Looks like a 1930s Gillette ball end. I have a comparable one that my nephew found for me at a swap meet. I used it this morning and it shaves great. This model was very prone to handle cracks and even some new ones already had cracks when they left the factory. Most of the time the cracks just are cosmetic and don't affect the functionality. If cracks bother you, Razor Emporium sells newly manufactured reproduction handles that fit the ball ends. I say go and buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Jimmy thanks for the reply.
the cracks don't phase me really, gives me a bit of a buzz handling a nearly hundred year old piece of kit and wondering who used it before and what it's life has been.
Just given it a clean and a gentle polish up and looks a thousand times better, I really like the look of it.
My only concern is I have never used an open comb before and have been told they are aggressive being a mamby pamby six foot five lump I am wondering if there are any tips. ?

All in all not bad for a fiver & the postage 😁

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Any razor, open comb or otherwise, may or may not be aggressive; the level of aggression is due to several factors none of which are being open or closed comb. It is surprising that the fallacy that open comb razors are by definition aggressive still persists, some are in fact very mild, but this misinformation dissuades many from trying them. Enjoy your new razor, open comb razors are fantastic. 👍

I too was reluctant to try an open comb razor, but now I own maybe 6 of them, including the 1930s ball end. Open combs are now my favorite. I agree that they aren't necessarily more aggressive than closed combs. Many open combs are less aggressive than comparable closed combs because open combs seem to leave more shaving cream on your face to protect your skin. The other main difference I notice is that open combs seem to give you more sound feedback as you shave.

What do I have here? eBay find. I just got through cleaning this one up today. I believe it’s a Gillette Super Speed but I’m not sure. It doesn’t have a date code. I know it’s not a flare tip but I don’t know exactly what model this one is. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
What did I buy ?
Newbie here ........ saw this on eBay advertised as an ever ready at a rather nice price. Now as you have all spotted and indeed I did it's a nice little Gillette but I cannot work out year, the handle is hollow with the usual cracks where the top and bottom are pressed in. Seems in pretty good condition otherwise and came with a nice ever ready Bakelite box. For the price a bargain.
Any help on year appreciated best I can do is between the wars ?
And the million dollar question will it be an aggressive or mild shave?
How do I repair the handle? Only small cracks epoxy ?
Any comments help gratefully received.
View attachment 1073901View attachment 1073902View attachment 1073903View attachment 1073904View attachment 1073906View attachment 1073907View attachment 1073908View attachment 1073909

Gillette Old Type. Ever Ready SE case.
What do I have here? eBay find. I just got through cleaning this one up today. I believe it’s a Gillette Super Speed but I’m not sure. It doesn’t have a date code. I know it’s not a flare tip but I don’t know exactly what model this one is. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
40s style notched no date code Superspeed. 1948-50.

Just got an old Souplex razor in the post. It's one of the all metal models and came with its original bakelite case. It is very shiny and appears to be in perfect condition. Interested to see how it shaves, it's open comb but is incredibly light with a hollow handle.View attachment 1073792View attachment 1073793View attachment 1073794View attachment 1073795

Just had my first shave with this thing and I am both surprised and impressed. It has a very satisfying raspiness to it without any tugging and gives an incredibly efficient shave. The closest thing I could compare it to is a Gillette Old Type, except it's much smoother. Despite being in a rush, it delivered a close three pass shave with no irriation.

The only downside is it unfortunately doesn't have the universal threading which means I can't frankenrazor it with a heavier handle. To be fair though, I don't think a heavy handle would improve on it anyway, it's a pretty perfect version of what it is.

just thought you might like to know first shave with this razor today.
Weeks stubble and a bit of a rush no time for a polished shave so a quick and off.
Socially acceptable clean shaven.
what can I say WOW great shave one pass a few tidy ups and good to go, no blood and as good if not better than any other razor I have used and my technique is pants.
Superb little razor

Thanks. Pretty much as soon as I shipped the Modern I started thinking I needed to replace it, lol. I really like razors designed like this; mild yet efficient.

I can definitely understand that. The Modern is mild yet efficient. I've shaved with it all week and it's a good razor. I do love the original small batch Ikons best up to the first version of the Ikon slant.

Top Bottom