What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hi folks.

Here my two most recent scores-

1905 Gillette DR. I never thought I would get another one. I got lucky.

proxy.php

And a 1909 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. It’s the Floral motif. I love these old sets. They are among my most favored razors. This set is doubly desirable, due to the stamped baseplate.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Peace [emoji3522] fellows.
Alan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations on the DR Alan. Did you find it in the wild?

I knew the risks when I bought it, and I am going to be very deft with it. Seeing the blade exposure for myself, it is a lot scarier up close. [emoji28]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
So I had my first shave with the Yaqi Knight Helmet today. The shave was incredibly close even with a mild blade (which given the amount of exposure isn't a surprise), and there's no irriation. I can't argue with the results, but the shave itself was not enjoyable. I felt like I was walking on eggshells the whole time and the amount of blade feel was very disconcerting and uncomfortable. I think I'll keep this around for when I have a few days growth.

If that does not work try Mcallen's 18.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not a scotch, whiskey or bourbon drinker, but I do have several bottles of 114 proof Navy strength gin on hand if my usual 80 proof doesn't provide sufficient protection. Not very conducive to shaving, but we all have to sacrifice to protect the herd.

When I acquire a vintage Gillette razor, I always wonder who were all the previous owners. I have 1910 SR, a 1934 Aristocrat, a 1930s ball end and a 1960 Super Speed. The original owner of the 1960 razor might still be with us (it could have been someone my age), but the owners of the others are all long gone I assume. Part of the mystique of owning vintage razors.

When I acquire a vintage Gillette razor, I always wonder who were all the previous owners. I have 1910 SR, a 1934 Aristocrat, a 1930s ball end and a 1960 Super Speed. The original owner of the 1960 razor might still be with us (it could have been someone my age), but the owners of the others are all long gone I assume. Part of the mystique of owning vintage razors.
If I got the owner's (or owners') bio with every razor, I would own a heck of a lot more vintage razors.

If I got the owner's (or owners') bio with every razor, I would own a heck of a lot more vintage razors.
I'd like to think that the previous owner of the well used 1918 Army Issue razor with the thin common bar handle I have took it to France with him, came home with it and used it through the roaring '20s when the handle turned to dust and then swapped it for a replacement through the great depression, etc...

I'd like to think that the previous owner of the well used 1918 Army Issue razor with the thin common bar handle I have took it to France with him, came home with it and used it through the roaring '20s when the handle turned to dust and then swapped it for a replacement through the great depression, etc...

I once asked an seller about the previous owner. WW2 veteran who later on in life got struck by lightning while playing golf.

0A9F8442-7546-4014-8961-414D51CECC9C.jpeg
3CB5B3EA-19EC-43D5-BBCB-098C3624D33C.jpeg

1959 fatboy and a 1973 Super Adjustable I brought back to the states via DHL. I need to procure the bottom chrome cap as its missing, or ask my dad what he thinks I can supplement as a plug. The adjustable at face value turns me off a little, that aluminum handle feels cheap and it throws the balance off tremendously. I’ll have to try it out.

Congratulations on the DR Alan. Did you find it in the wild?

Hi, no, I found it on eBay. The seller didn’t want to hang on to it forever til it was sold, so he and I made a deal. It was a lot less than the normal price range, otherwise I would not have been able to get it.

Dig it. I am the same way. I always wonder who owned these razors, what they did for a living, how their life was, all that sort of stuff. These old razors give me a sense of awe. A sense of timelessness. They are the gold standard by which all razors are judged.

Dig it. I am the same way. I always wonder who owned these razors, what they did for a living, how their life was, all that sort of stuff. These old razors give me a sense of awe. A sense of timelessness. They are the gold standard by which all razors are judged.

Well said, Alan. +1 :thumbup1:

View attachment 1075844View attachment 1075845

1959 fatboy and a 1973 Super Adjustable I brought back to the states via DHL. I need to procure the bottom chrome cap as its missing, or ask my dad what he thinks I can supplement as a plug. The adjustable at face value turns me off a little, that aluminum handle feels cheap and it throws the balance off tremendously. I’ll have to try it out.
I picked up a '69 Super Adjustable this past weekend at an antique store and it was pretty caked with old soap, was rusty from having the blade left in, etc., all in all in pretty rough condition with a bad case of handle drop (I had to scrape a mm thick layer of hardened soap away before I could recrimp it with a tubing cutter with a brass washer in place of the cutting wheel). Even after cleaning several times, and lubricating it shined up well, but I agree the aluminum/brass mix of materials seems cheap and not as smooth as the older ones--these don't seem to age as gracefully.

Hi all, I just got this in the mail yesterday. I have had my eye out for a nice 1940/41 Gillette Aristocrat for a couple of years now. I finally scored one. And it is a nice unit.
That's beautiful. Having recently missed out on an Aristocrat, I've come to really appreciate them (despite having never actually used one). It looks like it's in impeccable shape and an excellent addition to the collection. Congratulations!

I picked up this Long Comb New with a Tuckaway handle a few weeks back, but wanted to epoxy the cracked handle to stabilize it before cleaning it up. I hoped to preserve the gold finish, but the cap was scratched and it was caked with soap and rust (blade still in it) and had a bad case of verdigris, so I epoxied the handle and took everything to brass. The crack is still there, but it tightens down and stays in one piece--the size/weight of the Tuckaway handles is good to begin with, so the fix makes it even a bit heavier which I like and might add more weight as well later. I also might try to work more of the scratches out, but I agree with my wife's assessment that "it's a stunning razor."

Attachments

• NLCT1.jpg
    NLCT1.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 23
  • NLCT2.jpg
    NLCT2.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 24
  • NLCT3.jpg
    NLCT3.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 24
I picked up this Long Comb New with a Tuckaway handle a few weeks back, but wanted to epoxy the cracked handle to stabilize it before cleaning it up. I hoped to preserve the gold finish, but the cap was scratched and it was caked with soap and rust (blade still in it) and had a bad case of verdigris, so I epoxied the handle and took everything to brass. The crack is still there, but it tightens down and stays in one piece--the size/weight of the Tuckaway handles is good to begin with, so the fix makes it even a bit heavier which I like and might add more weight as well later. I also might try to work more of the scratches out, but I agree with my wife's assessment that "it's a stunning razor."
That is not a tuckaway handle, the razor came from a Red and Black set as is.

Top Bottom