What's new

Rocket 1 Shave Logs

log date: 2023-12-29

Have to get in a few more holiday themed shaves before the New Year. The Vestige was in full form today and Santa's Workshop was busy making a slick and protective lather that resulted in perfect BBS.

Overall Score: 9.9 / 10

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN Vestige Brass [++]
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [2]
BRUSH: Brad Sears Wanderer [26mm Fan]
LATHER: MacDuffs Santa’s Workshop

vestige-santa-workshop.png

log date: 2024-01-06

First shave with Fine soaps (new format) and Fine L'Orange Noir. I have one of the older style milled soap pucks of L'Orange Noir and plan to compare the new and old format. Scent is mild but pleasant. Waiting for a few more sessions to fully consider scent description. The Aristocrat is always an excellent shaver. I shave with it once a month on average, to minimize wear and tear.

Overall Score: 9.6 / 10

RAZOR: Gillette Aristocrat 1946/47
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium [2]
BRUSH: Simpson Hive [Manchurian]
LATHER: Fine L'Orange Noir

aristocrat-disco.png

log date: 2024-01-07

Enjoyed my first shave with MacDuff's Icefields Parkway. I normally don't gravitate to mint based soaps but MacDuff's Candy Cane pulled me back in to this scent category. Icefields Parkway offers a soothing mint profile moderated with slightly earthier tones. The net effect is one that presents as both calming and invigorating. Not an in your face mint, which I appreciate. I finished the session off with Candy Cane but would like to get the matching splash for this one.

Overall Score: 9.7 / 10

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN La Faulx SS [SB]
BLADE: Feather Pro Super [2]
BRUSH: Wald Nimbus [A1 Bulb]
LATHER: MacDuffs Icefields Parkway

icefields-wald-l.png

log date: 2024-01-21

Excellent outcomes today. A wonderful BBS was achieved thanks to the combination of the Paradigm Salient, a new to me DG B15, and the always performant MacDuff's. I am definitely beginning to understand the appeal of Declaration Grooming knots. Look forward to completing the break in for this one, although it is performs well with less than a handful of shave sessions.

Overall Score: 9.8 / 10

RAZOR: Paradigm Salient SS
BRUSH: Declaration Grooming Jefferson [28mm B15]
LATHER: MacDuffs Kananaskis Explorer

kananaskis-salient-m.png

log date: 2024-01-27

Second shave with Fine L'Orange Noir and getting the lather dialed in with the Fine soap base. It offers a nice balance of slickness and cushion, although somewhat lacking in restorative skin beneficials. The scent notes are relatively light but pleasant, and I enjoy the earthiness of this homage to Terre d'Hermes.

RAZOR: Schick N1 Injector
BLADE: Schick Injector Twin II [12]
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Chief [25mm Muhle STF]
LATHER: Fine L'Orange Noir

fine-noir.png

log date: 2024-01-28

It has been a while since the last shave session with a Blackbird. The Blackbird's strength has always been effortless effective shaves. And today's experience was no different. Break in of the DG B15 continues, along with a steady migration to face lathering. Not sure if it is the knot size, density, or some other property, but I have found the DG brushes to be quite effective for face lathering. Pleasant shaves to all!

RAZOR: Blackland Blackbird Ti [SB]
BRUSH: Declaration Grooming Jefferson Webb [28mm B15]
LATHER: MacDuffs Sea to Sky

seasky-dgwebb-m.png

Well, there was bit of an extended gap between original shipping estimate and actual shipping. But I am happy to now say this is in the hands of the USPS and should arrive early next week. I only communicated once with Aldo, in a relatively brief message. But I said in that message: I hope you take whatever time you need, to finish the brush to your standards.

Looking forward to this brush.

IMG_5548.png

log date: 2024-02-14

Fantastic shave today with Ethos Tortola and the Vestige +++. Tortola has become one of my favorite scents from Ethos and the incremental adjustments to the base are delivering on every performance front. I think I might actually be a Bay Rum guy. Something I was less certain about prior to Tortola.

And shaving with the Vestige +++ plate has been a pleasure. I am preparing a brief writeup on the observed differences between the ++ and +++ plates.

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN Vestige Brass [+++]
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [4]
BRUSH: Wald Nimbus [A1 Fan]
LATHER: Ethos Tortola [F base]

tortola-vestige.png

log date: 2024-02-18

Outstanding Sunday shave with the Salient. I appreciate the breadth of effective shaving angles possible with this razor. And MacDuff's Kananaskis is such a pleasant and refreshing scent. I keep meaning to pick up the matching aftershave, but Black Rock delivers an excellent pairing. And last but not least, the DG B15 is a wonderful knot that only gets better as break in continues.

Pleasant shaves to all!

BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium [1]
BRUSH: Declaration Grooming Jefferson [28mm B15]
LATHER: MacDuffs Kananaskis Explorer

kananaskis-salient-b15-b.png

log date: 2024-03-03

Feeling my way through the SB ++ and conventional unguarded blades. The muscle memory of the classic, plus feather pro super, has been steering me away from the optimal angle of engagement with the SB ++. I also lightened overall weight with the Timeless Ti Crown handle and felt improved post shave comfort. I need several more sessions with the ++ to finalize thoughts. But today was definitely the best outcome so far. Now monitoring BBS duration to compare results with the classic and pro super combination.

Overall Score: 9.5 / 10

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN La Faulx SS (Timeless Ti Crown Handle) [SB ++]
BLADE: Kai Captain Titan Mild [3]
BRUSH: Varlet Gaslamp SS [29mm XD Bulb]
LATHER: Zingari Man Mousse Illuminee

lafaulx-illuminee.png

log date: 2024-03-09

A late in the day shave with natural and invigorating mint notes from MacDuff's Icefields Parkway. I appreciate this scent not attempting to overwhelm. Instead it evokes a restorative sensation. And I have returned to the Vestige after extended sessions with the La Faulx ++. I am planning to complete additional shaves with the classic and Feather Pro Super to finalize thoughts on that one.

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN Vestige Brass [+++]
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [1]
BRUSH: Wald Nimbus [A1 Bulb]
LATHER: MacDuffs Icefields Parkway

vestige-icefields.png

log date: 2024-03-15

My first encounter with HAGS Artisan and the Ritual scent collaboration with The Shave Supply. I want to get a few more sessions in for a complete review, but so far I am finding this scent profile absolutely addictive. Sophisticated and ephemeral shape shifting notes, that deliver an evolving experience from jar to aftershave dry-down. Decided to place an additional order for the Edp as well and threw in HAGS Megladon soap. So look forward to trying those after delivery.

BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium [1]
BRUSH: Declaration Grooming Washington [28mm B14]
LATHER: HAGS Ritual [Hathor]

ritual-salient.png

log date: 2024-03-19

Old Strathcona is one of my top scents from MacDuff's. It provides delightful clean notes that always summon pleasant feelings. The fougere and cedar top notes evoke memories of just entering a cigar shop and catching the first wispy hints of cigar boxes lining the shelves.

BLADE: Feather Pro Super [4]
BRUSH: Morris & Forndran Style 1 (Lee Sabini) [26mm Size 3]
LATHER: MacDuffs Old Strathcona

strathcona-lafaulx.png

log date: 2024-03-26

Continuing down the HAGS Artisan rabbit hole. Picked up Megalodon and it has been a wonderfully pleasing scent. Do not let the thematic label mislead, this is a bright and uplifting scent. I often resist cologne inspired scents, but the HAGS formulations seem to do something that many alternatives do not: Create discreet and clear scent components that evolve and evoke an experience, instead of reading as a monolithic melange of disparate ingredients. I have Seabeast on the way along with the matching splash for Megalodon.

RAZOR: Schick N1 Injector
BLADE: Schick Injector Twin II [15]
LATHER: HAGS Megalodon [Hathor]

megalodon-schick-n1-b.png

log date: 2024-03-28

It just felt like a vetiver day. So I had to select Ethos Vetivert, along with the highly enjoyable La Faulx. Ethos Vetivert is a pure and clean grassy rendition that exudes elegance and sophistication. Happy to have this set in the collection.

BLADE: Feather Pro Super [5]
LATHER: Ethos Vetivert [F base]

vetivert-ethos-lafaulx-b-s.png

log date: 2024-03-31

A wonderful Easter shave with Ethos Violeta and a fresh twin injector blade in the Schick O.
Pleasant shaves to all!

RAZOR: Schick O Injector
BLADE: Schick Injector Twin II [1]
LATHER: Ethos Violeta [F base]

violetta-schick-sq.png

log date: 2024-04-06

I am so close to having this razor dialed in 100%. Fourth shave with the Diamondback Ti, and it has been the best one so far. Smoothness and efficiency delivered in a way I don't think I have experienced with any other DE razor. Also, I am finding the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum to be the best pairing so far with this razor.

RAZOR: Paradigm Diamondback Ti
BLADE: Gillette 7 o’clock Super Platinum [2]
LATHER: Ethos Tortola [F base]
POST: Ethos Tortola Skin Food Splash + Ethos Bay Rum Skin Food Splash

diamondback-ti-tortola.png

log date: 2024-04-26

I can't decide which I prefer more, Ethos Tortola or Ethos traditional Bay Rum. They are both excellent. And there is something about the Ethos base that just sings with my recently acquired Long Shaving Beehive. An effortless lather with a knot that delivers a wonderful balance of comfort and density.

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN Vestige SS [+++]
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [9]
BRUSH: Long Shaving Collar Beehive [28mm Reserve VI Hybrid]
LATHER: Ethos Bay Rum [F base]

ethos-bayrum-vestige-2.png

Top Bottom