What's new

Restrictions on shaving soap and travel??

Surely there's no restriction on throwing a shaving soap in my carry-on, right? I've always been aware of the restrictions on creams, but I never considered whether that would extend to a shaving soap puck in a tin.

At one time, not sure if it’s still that way. But I thought you could only carry on 50g or less.

Like BigJ I take a shave stick. One that is halfway used. Never had an issue either.

I recall a post one time that a guy had tsa check his soap and they poked it. Said it wasn’t a hard soap and was confiscated.

I guess it depends on your soap. If it's MWF or Arko, probably not as they're hard pucks. If it's a croap that TSA thinks looks like a cream, maybe...

I generally take small shaving sticks (La Toja, LEA or Speick) and disposable razors in my carry-on luggage.

It should be fine if soap volume is not more than 100g. You can take multiple soaps in individual 100g containers for up to 1kg. Same with creams in the tube. They will however throw the soap away if volume is more than 100g per container.

You should be fine, but from the TSA Web site: The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

As this quote illustrates, airport security officers have quite a bit of leeway.

To play it safe, I also would not pack softer shaving soaps (a.k.a. “croaps”), as there might be a debate with airport security (which you are likely to loose).

If you keep these simple rules in mind, you should not have any issues.

B.

I travel all the time and am literally posting this from an airplane. Shave soaps are good. Just bring smaller ones. I will usually fly with a stick of Arko or the small size Cella tub and never had an issue.

Pick up a set of the TSA approved squeeze bottles and you can bring creams and aftershaves. I actually mixed up a TSA bottle of the Lime Bootleggers Blend just for this trip and have some Lucky Tiger in another bottle. All went right through check in.

I check my luggage. Among the other benefits is that I can bring not just soap but actual razor blades in my kit. Done it many times, never had a problem.

Reactions: SDK

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I always have a DE razor and pack of blades in my carry on. I don’t think it matters anymore if it’s checked or not.
You have been lucky. DE blades are a definite no-no in your carryon luggage. A DE razor is likely ok, but subject to the discretion of the agent. Hence I never pack blades in my carryon, and my travel razor is one that I wouldn't be overly saddened if it was taken away. (I'm speaking of you KC Gillette)
That's strictly against the regulations and you should be prepared to lose them at some point.
^^^This^^^

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I always have a DE razor and pack of blades in my carry on. I don’t think it matters anymore if it’s checked or not.
You have been lucky. DE blades are a definite no-no in your carryon luggage. A DE razor is likely ok, but subject to the discretion of the agent. Hence I never pack blades in my carryon, and my travel razor is one that I wouldn't be overly saddened if it was taken away. (I'm speaking of you KC Gillette)
That's strictly against the regulations and you should be prepared to lose them at some point.
^^^This^^^

Back on subject- shave soaps will be fine. Creams are iffy. Sticks make life easier when traveling. YMMV

They have stated that. It is absurd. They are busy and a DE razor without a blade is likely to cruise through. That being said, don't give them a reason to open up your bag and pack something you're not attached to.

I've heard multiple stories of TSA confiscating empty DE razors with no blades anywhere. It's absolutely ridiculous and irrational.

The current rule is 100g or less. I try not to bring anything I would feel too bad about losing.

Generally speaking I don't bring DE razors when traveling by plane.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Never considered to take a puck with me, always took sticks or in the last of my travel years a tube of cream, actually most tubes are 75 ml or so.

Thanks for the replies gents. I accumulated a few Aliexpress Tech clones and am 100% prepared to risk losing one once in a while to have a good razor while traveling. Same with a $3 tuck of blades. For business travel I’m moving around too much to deal with checking bags.

I honestly think most of the agents don’t fully understand the rules either. Since post Covid I have easily more than a dozen trips (so 24ish flights) under my belt and have never had an issue. I pack it all tightly and rolled up in ziplock bags, and all good.

This particular trip I even felt comfortable enough to bring the Hensen Mild…

Top Bottom