What's new

Rocket 1 Shave Logs

A dedicated journal for capturing my shaving journey with shave reports, musings, reviews, and extended comparisons.

2022-08-09

Conducted testing today with a shave comparison between Blackland Vector and Lupo 95 OC. I attempted to balance out things by conducting the left side shave with the Lupo and a fresh Nacet vs the right side with a 3rd use Kai Captain Titan Mild in the Vector. Both sides were shaved with 3 passes and touch ups. I had to take a few more touch ups with the Lupo, but I blame that on the very low run time with the Lupo and weaker proficiency shaving the left side overall. And those touch ups were mainly on the jawline and neck. The Vector was ever so more gentle on achieving a solid BBS, particularly on the neck line. However, the left upper lip was incrementally cleaner with the Lupo. Overall, I am able to maneuver the Lupo with more confidence in tight areas with limited purchase, like the upper lip area, than adapting the wider SE blade to those passes. As a whole both shaves appear and feel comparable regarding initial BBS. I will be checking periodically through the day to see which side presents re-growth first. And not surprising the only significant feedback post aftershave was the left jaw line and lower neck line. I plan to repeat this test with a fresh Nacet in the Lupo and fresh Feather Pro in the Vector. My expectation is the Vector will edge out the Lupo. I also wonder if things would even out two months from now with more runtime on the Lupo.

Overall Score: 9.7/10

RAZOR: Left: RazoRock Lupo 95 [OC] / Right: Blackland Vector SS [SB]
BLADE: Left: Nacet [1] / Right: Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink AC [3]
BRUSH: AP Shave Co 24mm G5C
LATHER: House of Mammoth Alive

2022-08-10

Update to yesterday's shave comparison between the Vector and the Lupo 95 OC. BBS lasted 12+ hours. Negligible difference in re-growth between each side. Maybe just a bit more and earlier with the Vector side but that could easily be in the noise of shaving execution.

2022-08-10

First shave with the Timeless Ti Crown handle. Upon first holding the handle there was a bit more bottom weight than originally expected. That did translate into a different hold and feel with it attached to the Lupo 95 OC versus the SS UFO handle. However, once I started into the shave the felt changes dissipated. The reduced weight and the need to tweak my hold relative to the handle height required some on the fly adjustment. I could feel myself compensating at times for the reduced weight by applying pressure. I did pick up a few nicks on the left side lower neck and upper lip. I almost wanted a bit more weight on the upper lip to provide momentum but appreciated the reduced weight on my lower neck area. At the conclusion I was surprised to see that I had no irritation on my lower left neck. In fact, I felt no irritation at all. I believe the reduced overall weight helped provide a lighter touch through the shave and was a pleasant benefit. Besides the handling, the aesthetic of the Crown design blends beautifully with the Lupo head and elevates the razor with visual appeal. I am happy to have the two paired and look forward to fully adapting my shave to the new configuration.

Overall Score: 9.8/10

RAZOR: RazoRock Lupo 95 [OC] with Timeless Ti Crown handle
BLADE: Nacet [2]
LATHER: Barrister and Mann Cool

lupo+crownhandle.jpg

2022-08-11

Another shave with the Timeless Ti Crown handle. This time it is accompanied by a fresh BiC Chrome Platinum blade. This is the first time using the blade and it was highly enjoyable. A enhanced degree of smoothness was present relative to a Nacet but cutting efficiency seemed on par. This could be a new favorite. This session also included testing cap riding to find the limits of smoothness and efficiency. BBS largely achieved although a few pick up spots were missed and feedback present in upper neck/jawline after applications of splash. Surprisingly, BBS was not as durable after checking in the evening and following morning. I am going to cut back on cap riding on the next session with the BiC. Hopefully an improvement will be seen as the blade should be comparable to a Nacet for efficiency.

Overall Score: 9.6/10

BLADE: BiC Chrome Platinum [1]

2022-08-12

Every shave following a return to the Vector renews my appreciation of its handling and the AC format. Overall a solid BBS with high comfort. The Vector/SE AC format continues to edge out the Lupo 95 OC on pure comfort, at least for now. I attempted to incorporate adjustments on angle and pass directions for my left side. Some of that was successful and some less so. Potentially hitting degradation on blade efficiency towards the last efforts. I am going to push this blade till the end of its effectiveness.

Overall Score: 9.8/10

RAZOR: Blackland Vector SS [SB]
BLADE: Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink AC [4]

vector-alive.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice reports, Rocket 1! I especially enjoyed reading your comparison between the Lupo and Vector. I am borrowing a Lupo and a Game Changer, and one of the heads supplied is the Lupo 95 SB. I prefer milder razors and found the Lupo 72 to be a bit too much blade feel, I think. So I am currently trying to screw up my gumption for a Lupo 95 shave!

I also enjoy the details you put in, well done! These are great for us to read who don't have that razor or if we do, we can see how our experiences are alike and how they differ (the dreaded English class compare and contrast!!).

Nice reports, Rocket 1! I especially enjoyed reading your comparison between the Lupo and Vector. I am borrowing a Lupo and a Game Changer, and one of the heads supplied is the Lupo 95 SB. I prefer milder razors and found the Lupo 72 to be a bit too much blade feel, I think. So I am currently trying to screw up my gumption for a Lupo 95 shave!

I also enjoy the details you put in, well done! These are great for us to read who don't have that razor or if we do, we can see how our experiences are alike and how they differ (the dreaded English class compare and contrast!!).
Thanks. I appreciate that and glad it is helpful.

2022-08-13

Second shave with a BiC and this time I backed off riding the cap as much as the previous run. The blade was still comfortable although I do think the level of sharpness increased as the coating wore off. The Lupo is a little more demanding on angle as I am discovering areas on my left that need a bit more attention. But the major cause is my lack of proficiency on maintaining those angles. Overall a pleasant BBS and will check back on duration. But initial inspection suggests backing off the cap did increase efficiency.

In less fun news, my photo backdrop collapsed today and caught the Lupo. It was a modest book that took out my brush, razor and tub of soap. I didn't see any damage to the comb but always paranoid about alignment. I guess I will find out next shave. That comb and plate feels incredibly strong and resistant to bending.

Overall Score: 9.6/10

BLADE: BiC Chrome Platinum [2]

lupo-star.jpg

Better talk to your props department about sturdier backdrops! ;) More seriously, I have liked the photos, which are very artistic compared to my attempts!

Better talk to your props department about sturdier backdrops! ;) More seriously, I have liked the photos, which are very artistic compared to my attempts!
I have written a strongly worded letter and believe they won't make that mistake again :)
I appreciate the feedback on the photos!

2022-08-14

Another solid outcome with the Lupo 95 OC. Although it did not quite outmatch yesterday’s shave, which was ultimately one of the best I have experienced with the Lupo in terms of BBS durability. Today I incurred a bit of overshaving and excess pressure as the BiC began to lose effectiveness half way through the shave. That has translated in to a hint of irritation on the lower neck line and jawline. What I do appreciate about the BiC is what seems to be a graceful degradation of efficiency, particularly ATG. I am going to work with the BiC in upcoming shaves, as it does continue to look like a contender for optimal Lupo blade choice. I also experimented with a steep but light touch shave WTG under the nostrils. That seemed to work ok. The upper lip is my last area to optimize, but each shave with the Lupo provides improved results.

Overall Score: 9/10

BLADE: BiC Chrome Platinum [3]

lupo-mirror.jpg

2022-08-15

Exploring the limits of useful life for a Kai Captain Titan Mild PINK blade with the Vector. Pass 1 and 2 were relatively acceptable. But by pass 3 the efficiency drop became more noticeable, requiring additional touchups and increasing my tendency to apply pressure (with a corresponding couple of nicks). I could probably get one more shave out of this, but I would rather not. This experience corresponds with my previous estimate of 4-6 effective shaves out of this blade. Outcome was an acceptable BBS with slight irritation in a few spots from increased pressure.

Overall Score: 9/10

BLADE: Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink AC [5]

2022-08-16

Today was the second shave off between the Lupo and the Vector. The Lupo has been pushing for more time as my daily shaver. But I haven’t been fully convinced that it can outmatch the Vector, with all of the AC blades in my rotation. Today I attempted to answer that by conducting a side by side match up of the Lupo, with a fresh Bic CP, versus the Vector, with a fresh Feather Pro AC. To set the stage, I conjured a bountiful soufflé of whipped slickness and cushion with House of Mammoth Alive. These last sessions have allowed full dial-in of lasting lubricity with this soap.

Right from the bell, the Vector moved decisively against the Lupo. The results of Pass 1 were a meaningful reduction in stubble for the Vector while the Lupo seemed a bit stunned. The Lupo fought back in Pass 2 leaving the ring with felt stubble on par with the Vector side. In Pass 3 the Vector was swinging for a KO with its trademark left hook ATG on the lower neck line. The Lupo stumbled a bit but regained momentum with its own skillful lunge ATG on the neck line. A valiant round for all but the Vector was starting to move ahead on scoring. In the final Touch up Pass, the Vector danced around the ring only requiring a handful of touch ups, while the Lupo labored with more effort in the clean up stage.

In the end both achieved a compelling level of BBS. Upon initial inspection the Vector side had just a bit cleaner visual appearance and the Lupo showed a hint of redness on the neck line. No major feedback from either side after a quick application of House of Mammoth aftershave. Eleven hours later: While both sides were holding up well, the Lupo side was presenting the slightest more early re-growth. In the end I could shave daily with either of these, but the Vector is just incrementally more comfortable and effective.

Overall Score: 9.5/10

RAZOR: Left: RazoRock Lupo 95 [OC] / Right: Blackland Vector SS [SB]
BLADE: Left: Bic Chrome Platinum [1] / Right: Feather Professional AC [1]

lupo-vector-match-2b.jpg

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I'm contemplating getting a Lupo 95OC and a 72SB base plate since the 72OC is not yet available to sort out what I prefer in a modern, more efficient DE razor. I'm curious about your comment that the Lupo 72 has too much blade feel for you. If you could help me out by providing a few more details, I think that would help me along my path.

I was going to wait until next year to buy just one modern DE but I'm realizing, I just don't know what I appreciate in a DE razor. I can wax poetic about why I like about my Claymore Evolution AC single edge, but I've only used one DE razor so far for any length of time, the Gillette British Flat Bottom Tech. It shaves almost as close to the Claymore Evo but has a completely different feel. The Lupo might be the least expensive option to explore different blade gaps and efficiencies before springing for a more expensive option like the Blutt BR-1 1.2.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts. I have read through your journal for some background before I asked for your assistance.

Rocket, I'd appreciate your input as well, esp. since you are so familiar with the Vector and AC shaving. I'm waiting for @never-stop-learning 's more thorough exploration of the Vector vs. the Claymore Evo to help me get a better frame of reference. I'm still trying to figure out what I like, so SEptember will help in that regard.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Rocket, I'd appreciate your input as well, esp. since you are so familiar with the Vector and AC shaving. I'm waiting for @never-stop-learning 's more thorough exploration of the Vector vs. the Claymore Evo to help me get a better frame of reference. I'm still trying to figure out what I like, so SEptember will help in that regard.
Stay tuned for my initial round of SEptember shaves. ;)

I'm contemplating getting a Lupo 95OC and a 72SB base plate since the 72OC is not yet available to sort out what I prefer in a modern, more efficient DE razor. I'm curious about your comment that the Lupo 72 has too much blade feel for you. If you could help me out by providing a few more details, I think that would help me along my path.

I should be able to provide another opinion later this week. I've been using the 95 OC and have a 72 SB due to arrive Friday; hoping the 72 will be better suited for daily use.

Sorry to hijack your journal @Rocket 1

log date: 2022-08-17

An order of Saponificio Varesino Cubebe arrived yesterday and today was its first outing. Right off the puck it was a clean and light citrus scent with just a hint of traditional soap notes. The scent was wonderful and reserved, yet it would quickly permeate the room with the container lid removed. This is my first time using this brand, as well as a triple milled soap. Unfortunately, I had mixed outcomes with the soap, which I am hoping was ultimately attributed to under hydration.

I mashed a small amount in a bowl, applied bloom water, and then went to work lathering. I quickly realized that I placed way too much in the bowl, which wasn’t a lot begin with. I had seen that warning but was surprised at how little is likely required. With the implied usage amounts this puck would seemingly last forever.

The lather blossomed into a voluminous cloud that threatened to spill over my bowl. I eventually had to stop adding water, which was what likely led to under hydration. Upon the first application and pass, I began to feel a tingling sensation that was reminiscent of occasional past scent reactions. Because the lather was somewhat under hydrated it could also have been irritation from a relatively fresh Feather Pro. The second pass presented more tingling, and I started developing several tiny weepers. On the last pass I added a fresh layer of water on the skin and applied a small film of the soap. The result revealed the potential of this soap and was highly lubricated.

Unfortunately, the irritation has persisted post shave, and I am starting to suspect an issue with the ingredients. I am going to give my face a rest and come back to this one again. Otherwise a wonderful BBS was achieved. Even under challenging conditions, the Vector always manages to deliver an excellent shave.

Overall Score: 8/10

BLADE: Feather Professional AC [2]
LATHER: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe

vector-cubebe.jpeg

Top Bottom