What's new

Restrictions on shaving soap and travel??

You can even bring an alcohol based aftershave in the glass container as long as it's up to 100ml. When I was traveling in France I passed airport security without problems and I had aftershave in glass container and Monsavon shaving soap which is 125ml btw. I just take care to put these things in plastic zipper bag for easier check up. I suppose that many things are thrown away just because they are not properly packed and security stuff simply don't want to bother.

Like others here I bring a small stick like Speik in my carry-on. I always check a bag because getting a DE blade while traveling has been impossible. I know of some who have mailed razors ahead of them to a hotel or friend in the area and checked everything else without issue.

I've heard multiple stories of TSA confiscating empty DE razors with no blades anywhere. It's absolutely ridiculous and irrational.

I think it is mostly security theater for other passengers. As a DE razor looks like something that might contain a sharp blade, same goes for an unloaded shavette. While the tail on a shavette could be used as a crude weapon, so could a ball point pen or sharpened pencil. But an ink pen or disposable razor are carried by "normal" persons so they are okay, while scary looking razory things get banned.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As I see it, it does not matter what the rules are, or how many times you have flown with whatever, or what your mate who works in airport security says. All that matters is what the agent decides on that day, right or wrong, rules or no rules, if he wants your stuff then he will take it, for any reason he wants. Maybe he had a bad day, maybe he wants your stuff for himself, maybe he just does not like the look of you, logic and reason do not matter and are not required. You can argue, you can tell him you know your rights, you can explian the rules to him, and you can stand your ground - and you can quite rightly get thrown off the flight for being a pain in backside. If you force the agent to make a decision and as a result you lose something that you value, then you are a fool and you are to blame. Everyone knows what can happen and if you lose a Double Ring despite having flown with it many times before, because you are a smart arse who pushes his luck, then you will get no sympathy from me.

That's why I never carry anything fancy if I travel with only a carry on. So not a big deal if they take something away from you. I live in Europe btw and rules are probably somewhat different than in USA. I read the lists of prohibited items for some European airports and there is not a single mention that empty DE razor is prohibited item, sharp objects are forbidden yes.
But frankly I wouldn't bother with and empty DE and chasing the blades on your destination or mailing it lol. When I have only a carry on I usually go somewhere for a week or two. I don't shave every day so single edge BIC Sensitive disposable is just simple and perfectly valid option to use with stick and the brush. Or a hair trimmer which I carry always with me.

I always have a DE razor and pack of blades in my carry on. I don’t think it matters anymore if it’s checked or not.

So far, the worst advice on this subject, unless the poster refers to travel by road 🚙 🚍, ship 🛳️, or train 🛤️ 🚂.

However, if you wanted to follow this advice; I strongly suggest a full fare ✈️ ticket 🎫, so you can rebook your flight if you should get detained. 😉

To give any worse advice, one would have to suggest to fly with a straight razor :straight:in one’s carry-on.

B.

Last edited:
So far, the worst advice on this subject, unless the poster refers to travel by road 🚙 🚍, ship 🛳️, or train 🛤️ 🚂.

However, if you wanted to follow this advice; I strongly suggest a full fare ✈️ ticket 🎫, so you can rebook your flight if you should get detained. 😉

To give any worse advice, one would have to suggest to fly with a straight razor :straight:in one’s carry-on.

B.
I travel year round and nobody is getting “detained“ over a $3 tuck of blades 🙄

DE razors are allowed, so no issues there at all. Just have the blade out.

Worst case is I’m out a few bucks if it ever happens. When airports find things like pocket knives, razor blades, oversized liquids, etc, they just toss them out.

Since we are critiquing each others posts, if you are going to go attempt the “snarky know it all” reply, try using facts instead of hyperventilated exaggerations.

Last edited:
I avoid traveling by air like the plague. If I have to fly, I take only things I can afford to lose and will not feel sorry if "security" has their eyes on it.

...DE razors are allowed, so no issues there at all. Just have the blade out...
I travel extensively as well, and I can say without hyperventilated breath but from personal experience, that the above was not true when I last had empty razor and an empty box cutter.
Travel at your own risk.

I travel year round and nobody is getting “detained“ over a $3 tuck of blades 🙄

DE razors are allowed, so no issues there at all. Just have the blade out.

Worst case is I’m out a few bucks if it ever happens. When airports find things like pocket knives, razor blades, oversized liquids, etc, they just toss them out.

Since we are critiquing each others posts, if you are going to go attempt the “snarky know it all” reply, try using facts instead of hyperventilated exaggerations.

I won’t debate this with you, as I believe that members on this forum are smart enough to identify foolish advice when the see it.

As far as “snarky know it all” goes, flying as an airline captain I have passed through enough security checkpoints and spoken with enough security personnel to know.
But I always defer to true experts.
So please do tell us, what are your qualifications to speak on this matter with authority?

And I dare say, telling people to ignore TSA regulations is dumb advice, no matter what you may think.

Of course, one might also want to refer to an official source:

Furthermore, may I suggest to pay a bit more attention to emojis (like this one: ;) ), they are there for a reason, you know…

B.

Last edited:
I avoid traveling by air like the plague. If I have to fly, I take only things I can afford to lose and will not feel sorry if "security" has their eyes on it.

I travel extensively as well, and I can say without hyperventilated breath but from personal experience, that the above was not true when I last had empty razor and an empty box cutter.
Travel at your own risk.
I’m going to ignore captain “ you’re gonna get detained” but reply to this.

Empty DE razors being allowed is right on the TSA website. The quote above mentions sharp blades done securely wrapped, and since I have never had an issue, Its probably that having them in a sealed tuck counts as wrapped. Maybe not, but nobody is taking them or telling me anything different at baggage check.

In my first post I mentioned that I usually do travel with a cheap DE razor, just in case it gets taken in error. I never said it was impossible that an ill informed TSA agent won’t take it.

I just stated two completely accurate facts. One being that I fly rear round and have yet to have an issue. The other that occasionally losing a $3 razor or a $3 tuck of blades is an acceptable risk for me if it means I have good shaving kit when I travel.

If you or others prefer not to, that’s fine with me. If I lose one I’m pretty sure I’m not going to need to reschedule a flight or have a swat team rappelling down from the ceiling and detaining me.

That was the 100% innacurate take I was responding to.

Last edited:
...The quote above mentions sharp blades done securely wrapped, and since I have never had an issue, Its probably that having them in a sealed tuck counts as wrapped. Maybe not, but nobody is taking them or telling me anything different at baggage check...
Well, they took mine. I can say that I have never been "in trouble", let alone detained, for having DE blades in a tuck at the airport. But they do find them 1/10 ratio and when they do, they let me know I cannot have them in carry on (like I don't know :biggrin1:) and remove them. Same with the empty box cutters and 6cm driver bits. I never argue, out of respect for the rest of the travelers waiting in line. Just pretend I am embarrassed and say sorrrry.

This article is now dated (2008) but is a must-read regarding the TSA:

Take or make a shave stick.

Bring a Gillette Guard cartridge razor and a couple extra cartridges. It shaves as well as a DE and is airline safe for carry on.

RR Aftershave wax for me. It's not a liquid and under the ml limit if they did question it.

Don't take any chances. They can confiscate it if they want. They can delay you if they want. You can argue your rights with them all you want, but ultimately, it's their call and they will come out in the right.

I gave up on disposables long ago because I've broken a few in transit. I picked up a Trac II handle and a 100 pack of Personna carts and still have plenty left if I have to deal with commercial security screens (TSA). if I'm not... generally it's a couple of travel straights/strop or a DE if I'm feeling lazy.

I used to travel with full pucks without issue but have had my bag pulled due to the shiny metallic label Mike’s Natural uses. Agree that a shave stick is a good option. Sometimes I just opt for simplicity with Barbasol travel size.

Top Bottom