What's new

Rex Sentry

I have no horse in this race, but as a previous small biz owner my thought is I would have offered a couple of options:

1. A 10% discount if you choose to keep the razor, which saves me the cost of shipping and the cost of unusable product. The flaw appears to be cosmetic only so if I received it back I would try to cut my losses and sell as b-stock or dispose of in a manner that does not produce revenue (i.e., donate, loaner demo, etc.)

2. Return and replace at my expense. Most expensive option.

Pretty straight forward and as someone else said, in business you win some lose some but your pricing should already account for theses scenarios. At almost $200 the razor should be perfect!

I hate that feeling of excited anticipation, which surrenders to the disappointment of reality.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
RE should have just mailed out a new handle. No need to have the old one shipped back... what are they going to do with it? If they thought you were just trying to scam them out of a handle, they could have asked to see pics. Once they saw the pics, they could just have mailed out a new handle.

Seems pretty easy and straightforward to me.
There is an old saying. "The butcher who always complains about being ripped off is the one with his thumb on the scale."

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This is kinda off topic, but I recommend trying a cognac, how about a Meukow Icone 160th (much cheaper than the name sounds) or a Meukow XO Grande Champagne (the GC is important, the normal XO is rather mediocre).
I love Cognac. My favorite is Delamain Vesper. A Meukow or an old Monet would be lovely.

Gave the Sentry a run today. I read somewhere that it is supposed to be equivalent to the Konsul on 4 but to me it felt higher. I used a new Nacet, normal pre-shave routine. I stopped at 2 passes even though it felt like I needed a 3rd and perhaps a 4th with the whiskers remaining on my jawline and neck. (For reference, an Overlander is typically a 2 pass and done shave.) It had a strong blade feel that my other Rex's are known for. It had a very "scrapey" feel unlike any razor I've used before. It looks like it "might" be holding the blade uneven but with the tiny amount of "slant" it might also be an optical illusion. Blade is fully seated with the tabs on the top cap.

The results? My face is on fire. The alum left sooo much burning and I didn't have the balls to try an alcohol splash. After a rinse and Thayers I used a Nivea balm and feels like I need to apply balm again in another half hour.

As I sit here thinking about this I'm trying to decide how much my negative customer service experience may be influencing my opinion of the shave. It's been 30ish minutes since the shave and while my cheeks feel fine now, my jawline and neck still burn so that will be my only criteria.

Going to email them and ask for an exchange and if they won't exchange, then I'll ask for a refund. It was delivered Nov 27th.

I can't tell from the photos if the blade is uneven or if its just an optical illusion. To me one side definitely looks to have more blade exposed than the other. I checked with one of my RR Superslants since it is a true helical slant creating more twist and stress on the blade (different blade but from same tuck) and it is perfectly even across.

Sentry Top.png

Sentry Angle.png

Sentry Gap.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Gave the Sentry a run today. I read somewhere that it is supposed to be equivalent to the Konsul on 4 but to me it felt higher. I used a new Nacet, normal pre-shave routine. I stopped at 2 passes even though it felt like I needed a 3rd and perhaps a 4th with the whiskers remaining on my jawline and neck. (For reference, an Overlander is typically a 2 pass and done shave.) It had a strong blade feel that my other Rex's are known for. It had a very "scrapey" feel unlike any razor I've used before. It looks like it "might" be holding the blade uneven but with the tiny amount of "slant" it might also be an optical illusion. Blade is fully seated with the tabs on the top cap.

The results? My face is on fire. The alum left sooo much burning and I didn't have the balls to try an alcohol splash. After a rinse and Thayers I used a Nivea balm and feels like I need to apply balm again in another half hour.

As I sit here thinking about this I'm trying to decide how much my negative customer service experience may be influencing my opinion of the shave. It's been 30ish minutes since the shave and while my cheeks feel fine now, my jawline and neck still burn so that will be my only criteria.

Going to email them and ask for an exchange and if they won't exchange, then I'll ask for a refund. It was delivered Nov 27th.

I can't tell from the photos if the blade is uneven or if its just an optical illusion. To me one side definitely looks to have more blade exposed than the other. I checked with one of my RR Superslants since it is a true helical slant creating more twist and stress on the blade (different blade but from same tuck) and it is perfectly even across.

View attachment 1769233
View attachment 1769235
View attachment 1769236

Negatory, that aint no optical illusion. That is a very clear blade unevenness. And since Razor Emporium has been having some real issues with quality control over there, this is just another case of Matt screwing it up, and charging far too much for his screw ups.

I suggest returning it for a full refund, and I suggest going to Blackland instead. Trust me when I say, you will feel better in doing so, and your face will surely thank you. This is my recommendation. Sorry you've had to go through fire though, I know that feeling when Alum lets you know.

I had the very good fortune to experience both the Konsul and recently the Sentry, both borrowed. The Konsul is every bit of smoothness and efficiency that a razor can deliver, and I was expecting that same smoothness in the Sentry. However, my first Sentry shave was pretty uncomfortable.

My prior experience with the Konsul razor prepared me for proper blade installation, or so I thought. It can be a little tricky with the slanted topcap. I put the blade in the topcap, made sure the pins are protruding through the blade holes, put on topcap, then screwed the handle on. I thought I was careful in my blade load, but clearly something was slightly off in the blade alignment. I was very surprised that the shave felt as aggressive and rough as an iKon Tek. Overly-confident in my blade loading skills, I did not stop to reset the blade. I achieved an efficient two-pass shave, experienced no residual irritation, but it just did not feel at all comfortable.

The subsequent shaves were every bit as smooth, comfortable, and efficient as I expected, after I made absolutely sure the blade was installed correctly.

I had the very good fortune to experience both the Konsul and recently the Sentry, both borrowed. The Konsul is every bit of smoothness and efficiency that a razor can deliver, and I was expecting that same smoothness in the Sentry. However, my first Sentry shave was pretty uncomfortable.

My prior experience with the Konsul razor prepared me for proper blade installation, or so I thought. It can be a little tricky with the slanted topcap. I put the blade in the topcap, made sure the pins are protruding through the blade holes, put on topcap, then screwed the handle on. I thought I was careful in my blade load, but clearly something was slightly off in the blade alignment. I was very surprised that the shave felt as aggressive and rough as an iKon Tek. Overly-confident in my blade loading skills, I did not stop to reset the blade. I achieved an efficient two-pass shave, experienced no residual irritation, but it just did not feel at all comfortable.

The subsequent shaves were every bit as smooth, comfortable, and efficient as I expected, after I made absolutely sure the blade was installed correctly.
I watched a YouTube video of someone who improperly installed the blade on the Konsul and had a similarly bad experience, resulting in him giving a bad review. He admitted his mistake in a subsequent video but refused to remove the first one smh.

I own a Konsul as well. I understand the tricky part you mention because of the poor design of the top cap. Short alignment tabs w/ the slight slant make it a bit more difficult to seat and align the blade. I went into the Sentry understanding these issues and took care when installing the blade. After my shave I repeatedly installed and removed the blade and it was consistently uneven in blade exposure. I even thought it might be the blade but that was the last 2 blades from that particular tuck and the other 3 blades have been even and consistent in the other razors I used them in. I tried one of the last 2 blades in a RR Superslant and it had even blade exposure. I tried the same blade from the Sentry in the Konsul and it had even exposure in the adjustable.

I have the consul and rinsing it after shaving....I ran my fingers (NO BLADE) in the underside of the cap and cut a finger....it's sharp. Installing a blade is a pain, a crunchy pain...... . It shaves OK'ish BUT doesn't come to the knees of a Wunderbar.... RR razors beats them by turn around the planet.....

Got it replaced, this one loads inconsistently but not 100% misaligned like the first one. CS experience was a **** show and never doing business with them again. Even pinching the blade into the valley of the top cap, holding the blade down by the end tabs and carefully placing the base plate, then holding them pinched together to screw on the handle I cannot get it visually aligned consistently. Who knows, placing this *** in the junk drawer. I'm too jaded now to evaluate this with an open mind. I'll decide what to do with it at a later date. Moving on to better things.

Top Bottom