What's new

Rex Ambassador Blade Alignment and Drag issues

Hi folks, looking at my B&B history, my last post was in 2009!

The Rex Ambassador. Most love it but a few aren't so sure. Like Many who have paid the premium price for one, I really wanted to love it but it has been a struggle. I ordered one from a UK vendor back in Jan 22. It arrived and I loaded it with a Feather and had a terrible shave, the brushed finish stuck to my face, causing drag and irritation, I persisted for a few shaves and then decided to cut my losses and stuck it on eBay. During the 7 day listing I went back to it, and being seduced by it's looks and build quality, decided to give it another go. This time, I noticed that the blade gap was off. At setting 1 with the blade tray locked into the cap, it was even but through numbers 2 to 6 it was definitely wonky. I was able to press up on the blade tray to correct it but it naturally rested back down with an uneven gap. I contacted the vendor to see if I could get a replacement who told me that they were unable to replace but would send it back to Rex for me to be inspected and that it would take a while from the UK.

OK, so the vendor sent it back to Rex and today (some weeks later) I received a replacement (with a newer date code, an R4 whereas the original was an R3). I was quite excited as I had since ordered some Poraso pre-shave face scrub and some Executive Shaving pre-shave-oil to help with glide. I was really disappointed to see that there is still an uneven blade gap, I have attached a photo but it is hard to show what I mean in a photo. I realise that many people could live with it but I feel that at a price point over £200, the blade gap should be even as I had wanted this to be a heirloom piece and give it to my sone one day.

A quick Google search revealed that some people had this issue in the first batch of Ambassadors but that the issues have since been sorted. I don't know what to do next, I haven't got the energy to send this one back too. I could sell it on eBay at a loss but don't want to pass on something I would not be happy with myself. The fact that Rex have sent me this as a replacement tells me that this is normal. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Attachments

• tempImage2kuHoh.png
    tempImage2kuHoh.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 259
I have no experience with Rex but I can understand your frustration especially since it’s a second go around. What a bummer. Have you tried reaching out to Rex directly?

The Rex Ambassador. Most love it but a few aren't so sure. Like Many who have paid the premium price for one, I really wanted to love it but it has been a struggle. I ordered one from a UK vendor back in Jan 22. It arrived and I loaded it with a Feather and had a terrible shave, the brushed finish stuck to my face, causing drag and irritation, I persisted for a few shaves and then decided to cut my losses and stuck it on eBay. During the 7 day listing I went back to it, and being seduced by it's looks and build quality, decided to give it another go. This time, I noticed that the blade gap was off. At setting 1 with the blade tray locked into the cap, it was even but through numbers 2 to 6 it was definitely wonky. I was able to press up on the blade tray to correct it but it naturally rested back down with an uneven gap. I contacted the vendor to see if I could get a replacement who told me that they were unable to replace but would send it back to Rex for me to be inspected and that it would take a while from the UK.

OK, so the vendor sent it back to Rex and today (some weeks later) I received a replacement (with a newer date code, an R4 whereas the original was an R3). I was quite excited as I had since ordered some Poraso pre-shave face scrub and some Executive Shaving pre-shave-oil to help with glide. I was really disappointed to see that there is still an uneven blade gap, I have attached a photo but it is hard to show what I mean in a photo. I realise that many people could live with it but I feel that at a price point over £200, the blade gap should be even as I had wanted this to be a heirloom piece and give it to my sone one day.

A quick Google search revealed that some people had this issue in the first batch of Ambassadors but that the issues have since been sorted. I don't know what to do next, I haven't got the energy to send this one back too. I could sell it on eBay at a loss but don't want to pass on something I would not be happy with myself. The fact that Rex have sent me this as a replacement tells me that this is normal. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I'd find the energy to send it back and keep sending it back until they get it right.

@tomrobinson

I would take as much time as was needed for RE to make it right... Be sure to make note of the S/N and don't be disappointed if Matt doesn't make it right for you. There are still a few people floating around that received their razors back that he deemed was just fine and within tolerance yet were unusable and now just sit on the shelf for those owners!! I wouldn't sell it to anyone else because your problem becomes theirs and that's not really fair at all... Good luck with whatever you do though!!

I have no experience with Rex but I can understand your frustration especially since it’s a second go around. What a bummer. Have you tried reaching out to Rex directly?
Yes, I sent them an email explaining the situation and quoted both serial numbers, I'll wait and see what comes back. Thanks for replying.

@tomrobinson

I would take as much time as was needed for RE to make it right... Be sure to make note of the S/N and don't be disappointed if Matt doesn't make it right for you. There are still a few people floating around that received their razors back that he deemed was just fine and within tolerance yet were unusable and now just sit on the shelf for those owners!! I wouldn't sell it to anyone else because your problem becomes theirs and that's not really fair at all... Good luck with whatever you do though!!
Thank you.

Maybe now that they are selling slants, they all are going to be crooked.........:eek2::letterk2:

I got a cheap magnetic adjustable from amazon and it was like that.... I sent it back x 2. That is one good thing w amazon. Btw they also sell Rex there.....so that could be a source..... unless the dealer had better prices....

Yes, so I sent a few emails to Matt at Rex who was very responsive. I sent a short video highlighting what the issue was and he said, 'Yep, send it back and we'll get it sorted for you'. Unfortunately, the vendor I bought it from here in the UK didn't respond to my email. I kind of understand the frustration as they already sent my first Rex back and had probably assumed that was the end of it. So I sent the razor back to the vendor with a note explaining the situation and that Rex were expecting it to be shipped to them but received an email today saying that they were not going to send it back as Rex don't get things wrong, so getting a third razor wouldn't be worthwhile as the issue might be in my judgement. They have decided to refund me instead which is a shame. For my own sanity, I have included some screen grabs from the video which I hope demonstrate that I'm not going mad. The blade tray is being pushed to one side by the spring, you can see it in the photos of the underside which has uneven amounts of the tray showing on either side. This is by no means a pop at REX as they offered to help but I suspect that My REX's will be sold on to other customers now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 21.53.58.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 21.53.58.png
    981.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 21.54.15.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 21.54.15.png
    570.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 21.54.37.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 21.54.37.png
    475.1 KB · Views: 181
Yes, so I sent a few emails to Matt at Rex who was very responsive. I sent a short video highlighting what the issue was and he said, 'Yep, send it back and we'll get it sorted for you'. Unfortunately, the vendor I bought it from here in the UK didn't respond to my email. I kind of understand the frustration as they already sent my first Rex back and had probably assumed that was the end of it. So I sent the razor back to the vendor with a note explaining the situation and that Rex were expecting it to be shipped to them but received an email today saying that they were not going to send it back as Rex don't get things wrong, so getting a third razor wouldn't be worthwhile as the issue might be in my judgement. They have decided to refund me instead which is a shame. For my own sanity, I have included some screen grabs from the video which I hope demonstrate that I'm not going mad. The blade tray is being pushed to one side by the spring, you can see it in the photos of the underside which has uneven amounts of the tray showing on either side. This is by no means a pop at REX as they offered to help but I suspect that My REX's will be sold on to other customers now.
Many Chinese adjustable razors look just like that. I think it's the spring (uneven pushing more on one side).

Looks like the same thing occurring with some Pearl Shaving Flexi razors. But never seen that on a rex. Can be fixed but the rex has glue inside so it might be a bit difficult and so returning the the razor was the best way.

Looks like the same thing occurring with some Pearl Shaving Flexi razors
Yes, I have this issue on my Flexi. It looks stupid but it shaves just fine.

What seems to helps reduce/even out the gap a little bit is to screw on the cap when the dial is set to 4 or 5.
The Flexi's manual says it needs to be put to 1 but if I do that the razor looks more slanted than a Konsul.

Maybe you could try this, if you haven't already?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Interesting issue! I just ordered the Rex Ambassador the other day, hopefully I don't have this issue. 😲

However, what I am more shocked about, is the fact that the company you bought the Rex Ambassador from, had the gull to say that the Rex Supply company doesn't make mistakes. Every company makes mistakes! Thats because companies are run by humans, who you guessed it, make mistakes.

But your never going to learn from your mistakes, if they arn't reported on, you will just keep making the same mistakes over and over again, when the problem is swept under the rug. Keeping people honest, and fixing ones mistakes, and making it right, is more important then company inconvenience.

Which is why, its IMO, that you should never buy from that retailer ever again. There are many other retailer stores to buy from online, so I would pick another one if I were you.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Looks like the same thing occurring with some Pearl Shaving Flexi razors. But never seen that on a rex. Can be fixed but the rex has glue inside so it might be a bit difficult and so returning the the razor was the best way.
The slightly inclined gap of the base plate is uneven due to the direction of the spring---This has happened with all modern adjustable springs (except sailor, which has two springs); just remove the razor and adjust the spring orientation.
This is not a machining problem with the razor, but because of the subtle effects of the spring opening direction.

Ambassador does have glue, but I was curious and disassembled by hand, it can be done.
I first unplug the knob at the end.
Wrap the sharp handle tightly with a cloth and turn it with your bare hands to remove the handle; it does take some effort, but doesn't necessarily require torch heat to do it.

The thing to pay attention to is the assembly.
Since the dial and the handle share the same thread, please rotate the dial to "6" before installing the handle. This will prevent the handle from being installed too deep and limit the rotation range of the dial.

Last edited:

I did not have any of your issues. However, the top cap was not straight. From the photo you included it seems to be the case with this one too. I got a replacement top cap. The new one was just as bad, so i had to file down the high spots on the clamping interface. If i compare the Rex to my Tatara Muramasa the tolerances are just at a different level.
Disassembling the razor and rotation the spring into a neutral position would probably solve your issue.
1648630116754.png

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I did not have any of your issues. However, the top cap was not straight. From the photo you included it seems to be the case with this one too. I got a replacement top cap. The new one was just as bad, so i had to file down the high spots on the clamping interface. If i compare the Rex to my Tatara Muramasa the tolerances are just at a different level.
Disassembling the razor and rotation the spring into a neutral position would probably solve your issue.
View attachment 1431441
This is true, and I have the same situation on my ambassador cap; although the curvature is very small, about 0.25mm calculated by computer, it does not affect the shave at all.
I'm guessing this is a common case for ambassadors, but it's also described as "tool-like completion".

The muramasa is clearly much better in machining accuracy, the top of the cap is perfectly straight; and it has no springs, completely free from spring-induced clearance issues or the possibility of metal fatigue - a truly innovative adjustable de, Of course muramasa is also a lot more expensive.

Last edited:
The early and in some rare cases even the current production Pearl Flexi razors had the same issues with the both the top cap and the spring which resulted in uneven blade gap or blade misalignments.

As funny as it may sound, I think that's one of the reasons why Matt from Razor Emporium made the Konsul slant adjustable. You can't complain about blade misalignments and uneven gaps when the whole idea and design is to be like that.

1j7rqt.jpg

Interesting issue! I just ordered the Rex Ambassador the other day, hopefully I don't have this issue. 😲

However, what I am more shocked about, is the fact that the company you bought the Rex Ambassador from, had the gull to say that the Rex Supply company doesn't make mistakes. Every company makes mistakes! Thats because companies are run by humans, who you guessed it, make mistakes.

But your never going to learn from your mistakes, if they arn't reported on, you will just keep making the same mistakes over and over again, when the problem is swept under the rug. Keeping people honest, and fixing ones mistakes, and making it right, is more important then company inconvenience.

Which is why, its IMO, that you should never buy from that retailer ever again. There are many other retailer stores to buy from online, so I would pick another one if I were you.
Most people report that there are no issues, I think I was just very unlucky to get two in a row with the same issue. I agree, I will not be using that supplier ever again, the photos prove that there was an issue and Rex had agreed. The good news is that there is a happy ending. I ordered a Rex Envoy from Executive Shaving (with 10% off as it was my first order) and am really happy with it.

Top Bottom