What's new

Rex Sentry

Sentry arrived today along with some soaps/splash/balm combos I wanted to try. The 1966/1977/Nordic flavors.

The machining is less than I had hoped for on the handle. I double checked the Konsul handle and it looks fine. Looking at the last photo you'd think I was a Rex fanboy but I am not. I just keep looking for the one perfect razor. The other 3 shave well enough that I have held onto them for now. It's hard to see but including some photos. Appears there was a hiccup in the indexing of the CNC lathe that did the handle. The machining error wraps about 180 degrees around the handle. Tag says "inspected". Not the end of the world. I'll contact Rex/RE to see what solution is available.

Sentry Box.png

Sentry Close.png

Sentry Insp.png

Rex All.png

Well at least you going back to REX to allow a fix if possible. Personally do not like the abrasiveness, or grit of any REX Handle, so I do not own one. Fells like holding 50 Grit Sandpaper.

But being honest some people like what I do not like, and visa versa.

I heard back from them, they said to send it in at my expense and they will look at it. A label with postage would have been nice. Not impressed at all with their customer service. Maybe they are flooded with returns, who knows.
Of course that would be the response from a vendor that will say all day long that they stand behind they're product until there is a problem and then they want you to eat the cost to send it back!! If it were me I wouldn't send it back for them to inspect, I'd file a dispute with my CC and then send it in for a full refund including shipping both ways...

This has been the way Matt does business for many years now and part of the reason the shaving community looks down on him in such a negative way... The guy is a shill through and through and could care less about his customers!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Of course that would be the response from a vendor that will say all day long that they stand behind they're product until there is a problem and then they want you to eat the cost to send it back!! If it were me I wouldn't send it back for them to inspect, I'd file a dispute with my CC and then send it in for a full refund including shipping both ways...

This has been the way Matt does business for many years now and part of the reason the shaving community looks down on him in such a negative way... The guy is a shill through and through and could care less about his customers!!
He does appear to be a bit backward in his business model. ALWAYS treat the customer better than you'd like to be treated, and they will bring you more business. He seems to get this right about half the time.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Sigh. The CNC flaw is readily apparent. The image is sufficient for any retailer of character to cover shipping and right their wrong. @IdLatherShave, I feel for you.

Fortunately, our hobby is full of people of high character. Issues like the one you illustrate above are not reflective of the of the industry as a whole. Which brings me to two quotes I recently uncovered:

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ~ John Wooden​
“Character is like a tree and reputation is like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Building upon a reputation of poor customer service is a reflection of true character. Sigh.

sigh-dwight-schrute-gekg1h8gigzijpf3.gif

You guys are harsh. These are small companies. I recently had an issue with a Rockwell razor and they likewise asked me to cover the shipping cost ($7) of a replacement part. It seems to be the norm.

Sure, I’d rather not pay for anything but singling out one vendor for doing it doesn’t seem fair.

You guys are harsh. These are small companies. I recently had an issue with a Rockwell razor and they likewise asked me to cover the shipping cost ($7) of a replacement part. It seems to be the norm.

Sure, I’d rather not pay for anything but singling out one vendor for doing it doesn’t seem fair.
In fact, the guys aren’t.

Razor Emporium has a long history of not matching a desired level of customer service when it comes to QC issues.

The flaw seems obvious to my eyes, given the picture, why would I make the customer pay for returning the handle...? I mean, what's the big deal of offering a free replacement handle addressing the case of the OP (include a return label for the affected handle or let the customer just keep it...)

I don't think the OP will spend a single additional dime on Rex products if RE fails to correct this issue.

I can't blame him.

Last edited:
He does appear to be a bit backward in his business model. ALWAYS treat the customer better than you'd like to be treated, and they will bring you more business. He seems to get this right about half the time.
Being a previous business owner I can honestly say he has no idea what CS is... You can't win in every sale you make, its just logic that you're going to lose a few and should be expected but if you take care of your customers always you won't ever have to worry about negative things being said all the time!!

You only think its the norm because you let it be the norm and believe me, he's not being singled out here or anywhere else!! There are a few that are just as bad if not worst than him, its all been documented on this forum... I will never pay for a vendors mistakes or flaws in a product they make and if the vendor was honest, he wouldn't let that happen either!! We as the buying public deserve better than what this guy offers...

Sentry showed back up yesterday. Same serial number. Looks like they replaced the handle and nothing else. The edges of the base plate are still razor sharp. I was going to stone the edges before sending it back but included a list of issues and that was one of them. They did nothing about it. The threading is still "gritty" even though I have cleaned them with alcohol and Q-tips. Going to add a TINY dab of petroleum jelly or white lithium grease and call it done. I haven't shaved with it yet, threw it on the shelf with the other junk razors. Frustrated and disappointed at this point and couldn't be fair or positive if I tried. Maybe in a week or 2. I have plenty of quality razors, will decide on this thing later.

Thanks for posting this. I can say that Leaf razor does have a great CS; and most sellers of razors are good.....This guy.....I guess...., that is why there is a large post of horror stories..... I just wonder why we get never ending adverts from his store here......(money money money).
There is one guy on here schilling for them ....everyone else seems to know how terrible a vendor they are.

I have no first hand experience with them and I never plan to.

Sentry showed back up yesterday. Same serial number. Looks like they replaced the handle and nothing else. The edges of the base plate are still razor sharp. I was going to stone the edges before sending it back but included a list of issues and that was one of them. They did nothing about it. The threading is still "gritty" even though I have cleaned them with alcohol and Q-tips. Going to add a TINY dab of petroleum jelly or white lithium grease and call it done. I haven't shaved with it yet, threw it on the shelf with the other junk razors. Frustrated and disappointed at this point and couldn't be fair or positive if I tried. Maybe in a week or 2. I have plenty of quality razors, will decide on this thing later.
Has it been over 30 days since you 1st received the razor? I believe they have a 30 day return policy, you pay a 10 pct restock fee though and return shipping... You should probably file a dispute with your CC company or PP whichever you used as that would be the best way to get your money back!!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I had been considering a Konsul. Now five good bottles of Champagne seems like a better idea.
This is kinda off topic, but I recommend trying a cognac, how about a Meukow Icone 160th (much cheaper than the name sounds) or a Meukow XO Grande Champagne (the GC is important, the normal XO is rather mediocre).

Well, here's the deal- RE is always going to be a gamble. I have an Ambassador which I dearly love, and a I'm-Second-Owner gold-plated Konsul, which is perfect in machining & function, which I also dearly love, but the plating quality is goat nuts.

I purchased the Konsul off The Auction Site, and it may have been an undisclosed blem sale from RE. I knew it was a chance going in, and even if I were to have it redone, I'm still well under direct retail.

I have the same observation about RE that I do about modern firearms- 60 years ago, maybe 15% of their products would have made it past internal QC. I make my purchases with this in mind, e.g., it is very likely I may have to do some fit & finish myself. If the flaw is too egregious, I'll send it back.

For me, these two razors were worth the chance. I have others where there was no question of a top tier finish, but they were quite a bit more.

If you get no other RE product, I would recommend a stainless (unplated) Konsul. It is a fantastic razor.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Sentry arrived today along with some soaps/splash/balm combos I wanted to try. The 1966/1977/Nordic flavors.

The machining is less than I had hoped for on the handle. I double checked the Konsul handle and it looks fine. Looking at the last photo you'd think I was a Rex fanboy but I am not. I just keep looking for the one perfect razor. The other 3 shave well enough that I have held onto them for now. It's hard to see but including some photos. Appears there was a hiccup in the indexing of the CNC lathe that did the handle. The machining error wraps about 180 degrees around the handle. Tag says "inspected". Not the end of the world. I'll contact Rex/RE to see what solution is available.

View attachment 1755151

View attachment 1755152

View attachment 1755153

View attachment 1755154

I love how Matt at Razor Emporium, thought it was perfectly OK, and perfectly professional, ( or so he thinks ) to crap all over Blackland's adjustable Osprey product, for machining marks. The Osprey was just released at the time, and it would be a couple months before the polished version was to come out, that now has since been released this month. Matt kept doubling down on how bad he thought the CNC machining work was done on Shane's razor, and claimed all he had to do, was do a little bead blasting, like Razor Emporium does, on their Rex Ambassador razor.

Its like the pot calling the kettle black. Well here's the evidence folks, this proves that Matt isn't as great as he thinks he is, and neither is his freaking company. There's the evidence! Look at the crappy craftsmanship right there. We appear to be having CNC issues arn't we Matt from razor Emporium, and you were perfectly willing to sell this garbage to a customer, for a high price no doubt. ( I haven't checked price )

The difference however, is that Shane at Blackland has more credibility and honor then you do Matt, and he isn't about to come out and publicly tear your razor down for its machining work, as you did to Shane. The pot calling the kettle black, Razor Emporium edition, look at the evidence of the Rex Sentry. I love it when Matt gets the metaphorical slap that he deserves, maybe it will smack some humility into the barftard, once and for all.

RE should have just mailed out a new handle. No need to have the old one shipped back... what are they going to do with it? If they thought you were just trying to scam them out of a handle, they could have asked to see pics. Once they saw the pics, they could just have mailed out a new handle.

Seems pretty easy and straightforward to me.

I love how Matt at Razor Emporium, thought it was perfectly OK, and perfectly professional, ( or so he thinks ) to crap all over Blackland's adjustable Osprey product, for machining marks. The Osprey was just released at the time, and it would be a couple months before the polished version was to come out, that now has since been released this month. Matt kept doubling down on how bad he thought the CNC machining work was done on Shane's razor, and claimed all he had to do, was do a little bead blasting, like Razor Emporium does, on their Rex Ambassador razor.

Its like the pot calling the kettle black. Well here's the evidence folks, this proves that Matt isn't as great as he thinks he is, and neither is his freaking company. There's the evidence! Look at the crappy craftsmanship right there. We appear to be having CNC issues arn't we Matt from razor Emporium, and you were perfectly willing to sell this garbage to a customer, for a high price no doubt. ( I haven't checked price )

The difference however, is that Shane at Blackland has more credibility and honor then you do Matt, and he isn't about to come out and publicly tear your razor down for its machining work, as you did to Shane. The pot calling the kettle black, Razor Emporium edition, look at the evidence of the Rex Sentry. I love it when Matt gets the metaphorical slap that he deserves, maybe it will smack some humility into the barftard, once and for all.
Yes indeed….Shane is a CLASS ACT over at Blackland.

Top Bottom