What's new

DS Cosmetics & their Brass V92 twin cap.

I completely forgot about this razor as I had ordered it together with the Yaqi Sentinel about 2 months back. Plus a few other razors have been acquired and the V92 Brass by DS Cosmetics was sent to shave memory oblivion. I found it last night tucked away in a corner in my shave den cabinet, plastic coverings still attached. "Well I'll be" I said to self. Guess who was up for an initial run? Yup. How could I not?

IMG_20231104_075557.jpg

This razor was/is offered with two different top cap designs, a scalloped one and the other having an angular top cap design, almost Merica or Henson like. I went with the scalloped version and I'll try the other a few shaves from now. Installed a fresh Gillette Minora blade, made some suds by Ethos and got busy

This is not a mild shaver. It isn't an aggressive one either. You get good blade feel but, you also get a real nice feel on the skin that is quite smooth, better than average I would say. I completed 3 full pases and finished with a BBS result on both face and neck. 2 tiny weepers on the chin but, not a single other issue. Face was calm without a hint of irritation and the same went for my neck. For a first shave I will say that the V92 has me impressed and has shown me more than I was expecting. Don't get me wrong as I wasn't expecting this to be a dumpster fire of a shave but, I wasn't expecting a quality shave and better yet a real quality result. The razor has been mentioned a couple times on a few other threads but, there's very little information about how it shaves and if there is a perceivable difference between both top caps. I will say that the blade is held firmly and rigidly with very good support from both cap & base plate. The lather slot cut outs are spot on with excellent exit manners for cut whiskers and soap. Blade tabs are covered for those that look for that benefit in a razor. Balance and feel in hand are quite good though, I wish that the serrations or the look of knurling on the handle was a bit deeper and not so finely polished. Small nit picking I know and the handle never felt like a slip & slide during the shave. But, there's always something and though I'm not expecting Rex Ambassador type grip, a better tactile feeling handle would be nice. It works as it is and a rub on the alum block helps nicely with grip.

I'll put in a couple more shaves just to make sure that this one wasn't an aberration though, I have to admit that Chinese manufacturers are starting to pick up their tolerances and machining capabilities to some very impressive levels. Not saying they're world leaders in the cnc razor making wars but, they are certainly closing the gap and doing it with speed and quality. However, I do frown upon these manufacturers cloning and copying other artisan producers of their models/creations from across the globe that practically is or leads into product stealing but, that's something that has to be dealt with in world trade laws that international governing bodies must put a strict stop to with legislation and enforcement. Will it happen? I sincerely do doubt it but, you never know.

In the meantime, the V92 has some quality chops.

Great shaves to all....

IMG_20231104_062426.jpg

IMG_20231104_062435.jpg

That's a real mixed bag of influences there. The handle looks like a Karve, the top-cap looks like a Timeless, and the baseplate looks like a Gamechanger (although with a preferable blade retention method to the Gamechanger's baseplate nubs).

Still, with all those various elements coming together, you would expect a pretty capable performer, and it sounds like that is what you get!

I echo your feelings about Chinese manufacturers flagrantly cloning the design elements of more expensive, Western made razors. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way it could ever be stopped.

The number in razor name is gap.
Name: DS-V92 DS-V95 safety razor head
Cap: Scalloped AND Parallel
Surface: polished
Blade Gap: 0.92 mm /0.95mm

Name: DS-S9 safety razor head
Cap:scalloped / Parallel
Blade Gap: 0.86 mm

I bought a S9 razor yesterday. That's why I am interested.

Do you have DSC S9 razor ? V92/95 seems the same to me.
Gamechanger 0.84 inspired ?

The number in razor name is gap.
Name: DS-V92 DS-V95 safety razor head
Cap: Scalloped AND Parallel
Blade Gap: 0.92 mm /0.95mm

Name: DS-S9 safety razor head
Cap:scalloped / Parallel
Blade Gap: 0.86 mm

I bought a S9 razor yesterday. That's why I am interested.

I can’t really say anything on the others you mentioned as I simply do not have them, just the DS-V92 that you see above.

Congrats on your purchase and hopefully it provides you excellent shaves. Do post when you receive and shave with it… :thumbsup:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Well, the S9 is their steel version of the Game Changer .84 SB geometry, the V92 is the brass version of the same design.
I like the scalloped caps best, they can also easily be used for any Game Changer you own. The baseplate might look different, but same or very similar geometry to the Game Changer, the indents to grab the blade from below are the major difference in design.

@Halfbeard it's the same in brass. The parallel cap and prism cap (the same as the "parallel" cap, just 5 instead of 3) were initially seen on YINTAL-LIVEBEN razors that were identical to DSCosmetic S-series razors. Perhaps not quite, my Yintal Game Changer clone must be a .68, or the effed something up, it's far milder than my DSCosmetic S9.

And for everyone else, just let me repeat that you should get the scalloped cap if in doubt, I like it best.

However, I do frown upon these manufacturers cloning and copying other artisan producers of their models/creations from across the globe that practically is or leads into product stealing but, that's something that has to be dealt with in world trade laws that international governing bodies must put a strict stop to with legislation and enforcement. Will it happen? I sincerely do doubt it but, you never know.
Well said and I agree with you completely:thumbup:. However, I don't think China would pay much attention even if there were specific laws in place...just saying.

That's a real mixed bag of influences there. The handle looks like a Karve, the top-cap looks like a Timeless, and the baseplate looks like a Gamechanger (although with a preferable blade retention method to the Gamechanger's baseplate nubs).

Still, with all those various elements coming together, you would expect a pretty capable performer, and it sounds like that is what you get!

I echo your feelings about Chinese manufacturers flagrantly cloning the design elements of more expensive, Western made razors. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way it could ever be stopped.
I saw that type of handle for the first time on the HLS hummingbird, it's identical, perhaps the one on the Hummingbird also comes from China

Shave #2 and I will have to admit, this thing shaves and it shaves well. The first shave was not a lucky shot or the stars were properly aligned or I had a real nice fortune cookie reading. It shaves, period. What does it feel like? To my perspective it has a very close resemblance to an RR Lupo .95 having the same shaving characteristics while probably being a bit smoother in the process. I could be wrong on that as I haven’t had my .95 Lupo in my hands for some time but, the shave feels eerily similar with just about an identical result. I could even compare it somewhat to my Timeless .95 Ti but, that’s a bit more of a bias reading as I’m head over heels on the Timeless Ti. I love that thing as it combines efficiency and smoothness to near perfection. The DS-V92 though nice in both attributes does not give the quality shave feel from my Timeless. Close but, not quite the same. Nevertheless, it still gives one an idea of the quality of shave and the performance aspect of the DS-V92 and what it is actually capable of. This is a real, real good quality shaver and for the $$, it’s a heck of a bargain. Does it probably steal some of those attributes and styling cues from those mentioned above and a few more mentioned in this thread as a whole? Yes, without question it’s inspired by quite a few of them. What can you do?

I’ll swap out the top cap for the next shave and we’ll see if that changes the feel & quality of the shave.

Great shaves to all….

5FF8BD06-3846-4C1D-B19F-BCEB7B3733F9.jpeg

Actually, there is. Don't buy them. However low the cost, resist.

Shave #2 and I will have to admit, this thing shaves and it shaves well. The first shave was not a lucky shot or the stars were properly aligned or I had a real nice fortune cookie reading. It shaves, period. What does it feel like? To my perspective it has a very close resemblance to an RR Lupo .95 having the same shaving characteristics while probably being a bit smoother in the process. I could be wrong on that as I haven’t had my .95 Lupo in my hands for some time but, the shave feels eerily similar with just about an identical result. I could even compare it somewhat to my Timeless .95 Ti but, that’s a bit more of a bias reading as I’m head over heels on the Timeless Ti. I love that thing as it combines efficiency and smoothness to near perfection. The DS-V92 though nice in both attributes does not give the quality shave feel from my Timeless. Close but, not quite the same. Nevertheless, it still gives one an idea of the quality of shave and the performance aspect of the DS-V92 and what it is actually capable of. This is a real, real good quality shaver and for the $$, it’s a heck of a bargain. Does it probably steal some of those attributes and styling cues from those mentioned above and a few more mentioned in this thread as a whole? Yes, without question it’s inspired by quite a few of them. What can you do?

I’ll swap out the top cap for the next shave and we’ll see if that changes the feel & quality of the shave.

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 1743809
this DS-V92 with a nice patina would be very nice 😍

Went with the angled or “Henson/Winning” styled top cap for this evenings shave. And I’ve got to tell you, this was an excellent shave. I stayed with the Gillette Minora as it still has a few more shaves left in it. The feel with this top cap is similar to the Winning razor but, what’s different here is that the polished brass actually has a bit more glide and gives an overall smoother effect and easier feel on the skin. The suction or drag type feel is practically nonexistent on the V92. At least in my hands and to my face & skin. 3 smooth passes left me with a certified BBS finish to the touch on both the neck and face. No nics, cuts, weepers or irritation of any kind.

A really impressive shave with the DS-V92 and the angular cap. Smooth feel yet nicely efficient with a tempered blade feel on the skin. Not that it was overly blade feel like on the scalloped cap because it isn’t but, it feels softer with the angled top cap version. And that’s a good thing if one still gets an excellent shave. Another shave or two and I’ll put up my final verdict on this surprisingly good shaver from DS Cosmetics.

Great shaves to all…..

B703C583-29A8-4975-BF11-3AFD358C4C95.jpeg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Ah see, I found my Yintal but apparently DSCosmetic made or at least designed Game Changer alike to me rather inefficient with the 3 angled cap.

Maybe I would try again with the original GC cap or the scalloped DSCosmetic cap.

I didn't think the cap would alter the experience or efficiency that much, seems it indeed somewhat alters the geometry. 🤔🤯

Ah see, I found my Yintal but apparently DSCosmetic made or at least designed Game Changer alike to me rather inefficient with the 3 angled cap.

Maybe I would try again with the original GC cap or the scalloped DSCosmetic cap.

I didn't think the cap would alter the experience or efficiency that much, seems it indeed somewhat alters the geometry. 🤔🤯
I have a feeling it does alter the shave. After all, the amount of blade it allows to be exposed vs the top of the blade support offered will change with the width of the cap. Also, most people do tend to rest the razor on the skin based on the how the cap edge in relation to the guard bar of the base plate. But then this is my hypothesis only, based on the study with a sample size of 1. :D Happy shaves

Outstanding shave this morning with the DS-V92 with the angled top cap or as DScosmetic calls it, the Parallel head. I still have the same Gillette Minora blade installed with 4 shaves on it I believe and it still delivers a smooth, flawless cutting action. Blade feel is minimal but, the result is fantastic as for one, the shave angle is practically built in. The second is the polished and high luster finish adds an easy smooth feeling to the shave without an ounce of drag or suction like feel with more contact area being felt with the V92. Just a stellar shave and I honestly can’t say anything against it performance wise as it just flat out delivers.

Yes, it’s a copycat of various designs from some very reputable artisan razor manufacturers that could ruffle feathers to many the wrong way. Honestly though, how many modern day razors today produced say in the last 10-12 years does not borrow a design aesthetic or geometry from the greatest safety razor maker and most renowned producer in history, Gillette? 1904 gents. That’s nearly 120 years of a design implementation that hasn’t been improved upon since. Clearly, it has been subtly tweaked and altered since then with arguably tighter tolerances and exotic alloys which in turn may result in an easier using tool for many but, every razor today in its current form has lineage that dates back to the OG.

Love it or hate it, this is a real good razor. Great shaves to all…

14E17D6E-8EBF-4D4C-8C6E-C3EFA4514BB2.jpeg

Went back to the scalloped top cap on the V92 with the Gillette Minora still doing the cutting duties. Superb shave that was completed in 3 passes. No fuss, no muss just an easy go that was smooth yet nicely efficient in performing the shave ritual. I’ll make a statement that i don’t usually make about products that come from overseas. For me, it’s either been hit or miss with these products and mostly miss but, with the DS-V92 I can confidently say that this is perhaps one of the best razor tools to come out of China. Tolerance is spot on, fit and finish is world class and the coup de gras to this total package is that it performs brilliantly at removing whiskers efficiently and with supreme comfort. I’ve never said that about any razor made product that comes from the CCP branded establishment. The Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC might be the better overall shaver in my opinion but, the V92 is nearly just as good and it could be better for some.

However, there is a quandary with my appraisal of this excellent razor. The argument is that as a general rule, most if not all humans love a good product at a good deal regardless of its history, where it’s been manufactured and so forth. The wet shave universe is not immune to this rule or standard as we see in many threads here and across the net how we stand for or against product infringement when an artisan here or abroad has their product copied or stolen and there is no recourse for those said artisans to put a stop to such acts and especially nowhere more apparent than in China. There are no ethics here to argue by as there is no governing rule or body that can put a stop to this type of product thievery. The only argument we can have here is of moral standing or code and that is based on an individuals beliefs of right & wrong. Stealing is stealing, no two ways about it. So, here is the question. Good deal or Moral standards? I’ve made mine and I have to admit I’m a part of the hypocrisy that selfishly, I can’t turn or look away from. I’ll deal with the consequences internally.

In the end, the DS-V92 is a heck of a good razor. Is it worth crossing the line of your personal code and standards? Well, I’ll leave that up to you.

Great shaves to all….

F47A4071-B094-4E4C-A7A6-23AD9D48D26A.jpeg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@GlazedBoker very well written, especially regarding the Chinese tendency to copy things. The Yaqi and DSCosmetic zamac clones might end up with me and others buying the real deal one day. For Razorock, I have for every RazoRock the Chinese copy except for the SLOC, I only have the Mellon SS. I am a steel snob, aluminum too light, titanium just right but too expensive and bronze is okay, except when I have to polish it. 😎✌️

Thanks for the thorough review and thoughts, Gus! This one is less a direct clone than some, like their Sputnick. It seems like a bunch of influences were thrown into the blender and this came out.

How does this compare to the 86 and 99 plates on the Guerrilla? (You don't have a Game Changer 86, right?)

Top Bottom