What's new

RAZOROCK GC 0.68-P

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Both the GC 68 and Sloc are pretty mild to me. The GC is a great mild daily driver if that’s what you’re after. I think I’d have to try to cut myself with either one. @Ron R may be able to articulate a better comparison.
I have the GC.84 and to myself its a mild to tame mid range aggression with good efficentcy. It could be a daily driver for some folks, if a person wants a bump up in efficiency I recommend the Kai SS extra wide blade. I like to use the Kai SS in my RR GC.84 because it gives a nice closer shave than standard blades has been my findings over the years of use + sharp & smooth with great longevity.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

I already have both GC .68 and .84 and was thinking of buying Lupo .95 (again after selling it). Now I have decided to buy the OC and JAWS plates. Still impressed from the built quality so that I will try to climb with the GC the more aggressive hill.

Having the "Alignment Pins" on the "Baseplate", as is the case with the "Game Changer" series, is, IMO, an overall design improvement. The blade fits tighter ( CNC tolerances) and the blade's relationship (Gap/Exposure) to the edge of the "Top Cap" and "Safety Bar" is more consistent. And, it provides a solid lock-up.
The GC is very consistent and predictable. I know how it is going to respond. I can depend on it.

Also, I don't find loading the blade in it a problem. Different, yes, but not a problem.

@Bobovata ...I also have the Lupo .95 SB. I wish RazoRock has used the same system of round 'Alignment Pins' with that razor. But, then it wouldn't be a 'clone' of the 'Wolfman'. I'm not complaining, the 'rectangular Pins' are solid with absolutely no blade movement. It's also a good design.

I always have something to grouse about. LOL!

Enjoy your new razor.

b/r

ON_1

Me.

I'm a leisurely, 3-pass shaver, reducing my whiskers with each pass. I find that I can achieve a DFS with no irritation using a Gillette Tech, my ASD2, or GC 68P, as well as other "mild" razors. I suppose if I wanted a closer first pass, or wanted to do fewer passes, I might opt for the 84P, but the 68P is enough to do what I want.

Honestly, if I wasn't sure, I would buy the razor with both plates and try them. It would give you options, satisfy your curiosity, and you would still be under 100 bucks.

I bought two complete razors and sold the 84P..
I have the .68P, the .84P and .84OC. I ended up shaving with the .68P almost exclusively, but keep the other two plates in case I miss a day or two of shaving. I also use Techs, since I now prefer comfortable shaves, with no irritation or weepers to speak of, and get great long lasting, drama free shaves. I went on the aggressive razor journey and traveled all the way up to the Muhle R41, 2011 model and IKON Tech, and was not real happy with the results. Too much focus, weepers, raw face, just not a write home to Mom experience. For me, shaving should be a fun experience, and be looked forward to doing at the appointed time.

Since my GC 68-P isn't getting much love these days I decided to PIF to a young man I've known for awhile. So, I gave him my GC 68-P and a pack of Astra SP blades and sent him on his way. I hope he takes the opportunity to learn how to use it properly.

I've mixed feelings about giving it to him, but I have a 'rule', once I give you a gift, it's yours, lock, stock and barrel. I don't try to impose my opinions, or anything else on you. It's a good philosophy, I think and has worked well for me over the years.

b/r

ON_1

What I would really like to try in the GC is a 0.76p plate. :c9:
A single shim might give you a great approximation of what that would be like. You might have to find a blade with the right thickness though, as they sometimes vary in that characteristic. I might try it again and see if I can get to around that blade gap. A compromise or middle ground between the .68 and the .84. Then again, one could try the same approach to the other GC plates, who knows what results might be attainable.

Since my GC 68-P isn't getting much love these days I decided to PIF to a young man I've known for awhile. So, I gave him my GC 68-P and a pack of Astra SP blades and sent him on his way. I hope he takes the opportunity to learn how to use it properly.

I've mixed feelings about giving it to him, but I have a 'rule', once I give you a gift, it's yours, lock, stock and barrel. I don't try to impose my opinions, or anything else on you. It's a good philosophy, I think and has worked well for me over the years.

b/r

ON_1
So, in the first post of this thread in January, you said the GC68-P was your razor of choice for the "foreseeable future". Now you have given it away and have the GC84-P and Lupo .95. My friend, I'm afraid your diagnosis is a classic case of RAD. My advice is, enjoy the ride. I predict you'll get great shaves from a number of razors, new and vintage, until finally -- well, who knows if it will ever end? You'll probably end up with a nice collection, and maybe even another GC68-P. Enjoy.

A single shim might give you a great approximation of what that would be like. You might have to find a blade with the right thickness though, as they sometimes vary in that characteristic. I might try it again and see if I can get to around that blade gap. A compromise or middle ground between the .68 and the .84. Then again, one could try the same approach to the other GC plates, who knows what results might be attainable.
Bobovata does search for 'shim' on B&B. Falls down brand new rabbit hole. :cool:

Made a shim (from an old Nacet blade) and placed it between the blade and the .68 plate to increase efficiency, and it worked.

When this blade is done I will try the shim between the blade and the cap on the .84 to compare.

Think after reading all the comment on the Game Changer 68 it souls like a great deal for the price.

Have watched sever U-Tube Reviews on the Razor, only negative is it mild.

Maybe should be ordered with second base,

Still a 💨ing deal.

@DesertIguana ...I'm not a proponent of 'shimming' a razor, but that is an option for making the GC 68-P more aggressive. IMHO, you might want to get the GC 84-P Baseplate or complete razor. I purchased the GC 68-P, then the GC 84-P and finally the Lupo .95 SB. Each increased the "Aggressiveness" and "Efficiency". Also, 'blade feel' increased, most noticeably with the Lupo .95. But, none of the razors felt scary in any way.

b/r

ON_1

@DesertIguana ...I'm not a proponent of 'shimming' a razor, but that is an option for making the GC 68-P more aggressive. IMHO, you might want to get the GC 84-P Baseplate or complete razor. I purchased the GC 68-P, then the GC 84-P and finally the Lupo .95 SB. Each increased the "Aggressiveness" and "Efficiency". Also, 'blade feel' increased, most noticeably with the Lupo .95. But, none of the razors felt scary in any way.

b/r

ON_1

I sort of like Mild because of Skin problems, age is factor.

I have time to do Second Pass. My problem is being pronded to INGROWN HAIRS.

@DesertIguana I picked up the .68 complete razor then added the .84 plate since it really wasn't that much more $$. I find the .84 more intuitive to use for some reason, but I have been going back and forth with both plates. I don't find that there's really much difference in overall feel between the two plates, but the .84 will get the job done quicker with less passes. I guess in the grand sceme of things, if your technique is good, both will get the job done.

Top Bottom