What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Could anyone please compare the SuperSlants' closeness of shave to the R41's?
True BBS or almost...?
L3 is on the way. I will compare it to the Wunderbar, which I already have.
For what it is worth, the Wunderbar gives very little warning and shaves very smooth, the R41 gives fair warning before it bites.

The shave of the R41 is closer, I get this "marble skin" feeling.
The Wunderbar feels differently. How to describe that. One can rough up the skin with the R41 if one tries too hard and uses a not so perfect angle. The Wunderbar cuts or it doesn't cut, and it rather causes a cut than irritation. One can still scrape away skin enough for irritation.
The Wunderbar gives also a super close shave and is much nicer to the skin. I guess for the marble effect some skin needs to be peeled off. I am sorry, really can't describe it better than that.

Not really a review but some thoughts after shaving with the SS L2++ this morning.

It clamps the blade incredibly well, best of any DE razor I have ever seen. To that point, there is almost zero feedback. There is no sound and no feel. You won’t know it is cutting without your eyes.

I found the angle by close observation and I had to watch the whole shave because…did I mention there isn’t any real perceivable feedback?

Despite the “smoother than the Wunderbar” advertising, I managed to get a weeper at the corner of my mouth and a very slight nick just under my jawline. The nick happened shaving with the grain on the first pass. This was with a Shark Platinum that has 3 shaves on it which is the sweet spot for those blades. I am not sure what happened and won’t chalk it to the razor but can’t say it was me either.

I regularly shave with the WB without issue. I’m sure some more time with the SS will help me to appreciate its virtuous clamp.

I have often lamented the DE razors should clamp the blade to eliminate chatter and irritation. I do however like some audible feedback and if I’m honest some blade feel to let me know I’m in the zone.

I will give this razor a month and see if I enjoy it going forward. I’m not being negative about it but I do want to give an honest representation of my initial thoughts. Could there be such a thing as a too well controlled DE blade? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Iridian

Cool and slimy
…did I mention there isn’t any real perceivable feedback?
Oh, that is exactly my gripe with the Wunderbar. Ah well, seems the Superslant is not any different in this regard.
Now I have kinda buyer's remorse before the razor even shipped.

There are two things I don't like about the otherwise excellent Wunderbar:

The lack of feedback and the small angle variation that boils down to ride the cap.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There are two things I don't like about the otherwise excellent Wunderbar:
The lack of feedback and the small angle variation that boils down to ride the cap.

I'm not arguing with you, but I find both the Wunderbar and the Superslant L3 have quite a bit of feedback. The L3 is almost as feedbacky as some of my older Gem and Ever Ready SEs. They also both seem to have an adequately wide "shave window."

No single razor is going to make everyone happy. I can attest that it's made me pretty happy, though! Certainly there are a lot of other razors out there, loved by many, that have bucked me off.

1670794018127.png

O.H.

To me the WB is simply a remarkably smooth shaver. It doesn't bite, it doesn't drag, it just provides smooth sailing and efficiency. It can bite if you are inattentive, but since I've adapted, that hasn't been an issue,

I prefer it with a long, heavy handle; currently the Timeless Pineapple. That's a match made in shaver's heaven.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yes. Steep IMO doesn't offer the benefit of a closer shave over shallow for the Wunderbar, but you will hear and feel a bit more. The feedback is very muted, both tactile and audible. Seems extreme clamping always does that.

I hoped for a bit more for the L3, but let's see. Ponykilr's report wasn't giving me much hope in this regard. But apparently they improved something over the Wunderbar, as @Ron R mentioned here:

They eliminated a "blade-edge wave" that is "hard to see with the naked eye". Whatever it is, they cornered and killed it, supposedly. :straight:

Sorry to be the party pooper, but this is just me. I already got a perfect shave out of the Wunderbar, the lack of any or only very minor feedback is always irritating me to no end though.

I have a theory about the L3++, which probably has the same milled out step as the L2++, or the BBS-AS compared to BBS and BBS-A. As for the BBS-AS, I am afraid it is unlikely it will improve the shave much at all, but will significantly increase risk of injury and aggression.

I want to reiterate that at least for me, I can hear when the WB is in the zone, I can feel the blade working. This doesn’t necessarily mean “chatter” but the blade obviously has just enough flex to sing out.

2 other smooth AND audible razors are the Lo Storto Gentile and the Fine. Brass and especially aluminum tend to sing more than stainless in my experience (though design I am sure comes into play).

I do not want to denigrate the SS, it is indeed magnificent in its clamping and machining. There was obviously a lot of work and thought that went into this razor. I feel I can overcome the low feedback I am experiencing with practice.

It may just be a preference issue for some. The visceral vs. the silent? Some people prefer vibration and a raucous exhaust on motorcycles and some prefer the silky smoothness of certain other bikes.

Choices in products is never bad.

Old Hippie

This morning's exuberant little scamper with the L3 was the first shave with a new blade. I'd put down two shaves on the S2 while guarding the mailbox for the L3, so my first four shaves with it were on a "pre-stropped" blade. Good shaves they were, but as a longtime Astra SP fan I've also come to appreciate that the first two shaves have their own special magic in the right razor.

In the wrong razor those first two shaves can be a little sharp. That's normally just an excuse for exercising mindfulness with most razors, though there are a couple that work better if I take the first two shaves off the blade in another razor. I was pleasantly surprised to find the L3 delivers well on a new blade, too.

O.H.

Update and more thoughts:

I shaved this morning after my shower with the Super Slant L2++ and a new Shark Platinum blade. I used Taconic Urban Woods soap and badger brush.

I usually leave the water on but this morning I turned it off after each rinse to see if I could hear this razor work. I could. It is very quiet but yes I can hear it sing a little.

I made my normal WTG pass, noting that it was easier to keep the right angle because of the whisper I could hear. A bit on angle, for me the razor works best by riding the guard and staying away from the cap. This would lead me to think that an open comb base MAY be a great addition to this tool.

I rinsed and brushed on more soap. I stopped shaving ATG a good while ago as, for me, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. I made my XTG pass being careful to listen and yes *maybe* feel the work being done. I was rewarded with what might be the best XTG pass I have ever experienced.

Slick, no feeling of tenderness and for good measure I pulled out the Green Block and had just a slight tingle on my neck in the big hollow under the jaw line (normal).

I may go ATG the next time I shave as an experiment. I remember someone mentioning that the razor seemed to love ATG.

I typically do not enjoy extremely sharp blades like the Feather. This razor might be one where an extra sharp blade could work very well. I will say again that I do not believe there is a another DE that has this level of blade control/clamp.

So while the trial goes forward, I feel there is a lot in this razor for someone that can patiently work out the details of how to use it. I will buy the OC base when it is released (gears spinning) because I think this razor could be marvelous with a touch more soap getting to the blade.

More thoughts maybe when I shave again.

056851D3-94FC-4164-BCEE-F93D672A59B9.jpeg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I typically do not enjoy extremely sharp blades like the Feather. This razor might be one where an extra sharp blade could work very well. I will say again that I do not believe there is a another DE that has this level of blade control/clamp.
But I think you already have a Wunderbar and for the Wunderbar, the Feather is also wunderbar, no kidding. When you have a lot of time and feel like it, a side by side or return to the Wunderbar might be interesting.

My L3 is scheduled for Thursday, might even arrive tomorrow but I hope not, it would then probably get delivered in a time window where I am at the car mechanic.

Let's see... I am looking forward to it. I hope I can find some difference to the Wunderbar in some more aspects, not just an eliminated micro-wave! :)

Old Hippie

Update and more thoughts:

I shaved this morning after my shower with the Super Slant L2++ and a new Shark Platinum blade.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I may go ATG the next time I shave as an experiment. I remember someone mentioning that the razor seemed to love ATG.

A little context, perhaps. Until the Superslant I never used a nonadjustable razor that shaves my "maelstroms" smoother than the Konsul can do. With the Konsul I can achieve a pretty clean sweep by doing two ATG passes, the first on a considerably milder setting than the second and with a little stretching.

The Superslant cleans off those spots in one ATG pass, also with a gentle stretch. A highly efficient shave and with the L3 that doesn't automatically mean some level of irritation.

Approach ATG gently but with hope!

I feel there is a lot in this razor for someone that can patiently work out the details of how to use it.

Impatience is my besetting sin. :) However, I am having an absolute humdinger of a fun time with the razor. It's nice to get a razor that exceeds expectations; I've had a few go the other way which can make me wonder why I bother.

I will buy the OC base when it is released (gears spinning) because I think this razor could be marvelous with a touch more soap getting to the blade.

I completely agree! I'll also be interested to see if the "level" taxonomy maps cleanly to the OC plates. I can't believe I just wrote that. (No, really I can.) I hope an L3 OC has the same basic specs as the L3 SB. That'd be simple but I suppose a little tuning up or down the scale a notch or two isn't going to cause the planet to fall off its axis.

That's another one of those understandings we'll work out in process.

O.H.

M

member 131028

Evening everyone,

Age 54 with a heavy beard which I could easily shave twice a day. I have never owned a Wunderbar but have shaved with just about every razor available. I have been using the Superslant daily for almost two weeks now, alternating between the L2 and L3 plates. My choice of soap has been McDuff's, blade is Voskhod and my routine has been the same daily which consists of a face scrub, rinse with warm water, sandalwood pre shave oil and bowl lathering. The first few shaves resulted in a weeper or two, always under my right jawline but I can report none since the weekend. I only need two passes (1) WTG and (1) ATG for an extremely close shave whereas other slants or regular DE would require an additional XTG pass. For my face the L2 performance is exceptional and the L3 kicks up the performance just a bit more. I can certainly hear the blade slice through the hairs but then again I can with every razor. I don't see the need to add in a + or ++ plate, I am more than pleased with either of the two I have. I could not be any happier with this purchase!

Attachments

• 20221214_165451-04.jpeg
    20221214_165451-04.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thank you for taking your time to give such a detailed reply. I already have the FOCS in the short handled version and really enjoy my shaves with it. The only other slant I have is the Yaqi which shaves wonderful for me now I've got it dialed in. I'm really looking forward to trying the Parker now. Once again thank you for the reply.
How does the SS compare to the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant?

I love that razor dearly. But, if I shave more than 2 days in a row with it, my skin starts to get tender. Luckily it shaves closely enough that I can skip a day and still look presentable.

My dream is a razor that shaves as closely as the YTAS, that I could shave with every day. Is anyone able to estimate where on the SS spectrum that might be? I am thinking I should start with an L3 and get used to that, then order up or down if needed.

Top Bottom