What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

It is just a matter of how easily the blades slip over the Superslant's screw and posts. I don't know that all Timor, Merkur, and Dorco blades would be difficult, but the fact that two German blades had the issue makes me suspicious.

I see that I mis-stated the result on the four blades that loaded a little less than smoothly. I edited that.

On Steam I would probably give you a "deep thoughts" badge or something like that, very interesting to see what they did there. The blade seems to get bent to the point on a permanent deformation, not much point trying to move it into another razor. But I so rarely do that anyways.

Particularly interesting: The bar of the Superslant isn't "lowered" under the blade, as it is for the Wunderbar. Maybe they do that for the +/++ versions. Haven't seen the L2++ version yet, that might be the answer to my hunch.

the "+" baseplates have a milled chamfer to increase aggression. The "++" plates have a milled step.

What does this mean exactly?

zoom in and pay attention to the safety bar. The regular baseplate is a smooth curve. The ++ plate has a stepdown between the clamping surface and the safety bar. The + plate (not shown) is inbetween.

As buyandhold noted, the BBS "A" and "AS" use a similar design.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@blitz11 @buyandhold2018 thank you, you even confirmed my suspicion that it is similar to the BBS-AS vs the BBS design. Before I could even read and ask this.

There is also the BBS-A, which I prefer over the BBS-AS. I found it increases aggression and even more so risk of injury without doing much in terms of efficiency compared to the other two versions.

Now trying to think the same of the Superslant plates is probably rather foolish. I am afraid I will have to get at least two plates to compare... 😎🤪

Superslant L3 shave 2

German-made Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile (1) - from the @Grundi Discovery blade PIF, blades donated by @Space_Cadet

CA5DE732-295F-4B36-A958-7D288B9B7C80.jpeg

Loading:
The German Bolzano also loads with difficulty. I additionally learned that the Timor blade loads onto the Wunderbar cap with difficulty. Fortunately these German made blades are samples, not part of my regular blade rotation.

@buyandhold2018 has the right idea with the gentle patient approach to finagling the blade into place.

The shave:
No time pressure, so I followed my deluxe face lathering approach. Mentholated Col. Conk Lime prepped my stubble. Ach. Brito Mogno provided lather for two passes and some neck clean up.

I am still noticing the weight of this head. I listened more closely to this shave. There was plenty of initial audio, diminishing with each pass. Quiet? Done deal, BBS.

The cheeks went to BBS quickly with no missed spots. My neck was done after two passes, S-N then N-S, except for the maelstoms. The easier left area was already DFS+, but the Superslant quickly brought it to full BBS with a couple shallow diagonal strokes. I boxed the compass on the right side, with just a little buffing in the mix. That spot is now exceptionally smooth.

I did give myself a tiny weeper on my adam's apple. Not operator error, the shave was so carefree that I was testing what I could get away with on that high point.

OK, operator was lulled into shameful inattention. Alum was enough to stop it.

Bottom line: easy shave, extremely close. This razor (and my straights) are clamoring to clean off my jawline, go back to the beard and sideburn lines of midsummer.

Could anyone compare this razor to the Paker semi slant as the stout gentleman with the white beard is delivering the semi slant to me soon.

I am only two shaves into my Superslant L3, but I am finding it closer and safer than my Wunderbar. And a closer shaver than my FOCS. That is high praise.

I have the Parker Semi-slant and have used it enough to say:
1) it is fully a slant, why 'semi' is beyond me
2) it has a head that delivers a shave that I find equivalent to Merkur slants and the RazoRock Herman 37
3) I find it superior to my Maggard and iKon slants, which are a bit mild/inefficient
4) I imagine you will like it

The main design choice in the Parker that is not to my personal taste is the well-made, grippy, but very long and substantial handle. That said, I prefer very short and thin handles on all my razors. The Thin Bar handle is the only RazoRock handle I really like.

If you ever decide you want another good slant, completely different from the Parker, the Fatip Piccolo Lo Storto small handled version of the FOCS is 1/4 the cost of the Superslant and Wunderbar. For me, it delivers a very efficient and comfortable shave.

Still, the Superslant L3 is top slant for me at the moment. Probably even my top performing DE. Primarily due to its performance on my toughest trouble spot.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I am only two shaves into my Superslant L3, but I am finding it closer and safer than my Wunderbar. And a closer shaver than my FOCS. That is high praise.

2) it has a head that delivers a shave that I find equivalent to Merkur slants and the RazoRock Herman 37
3) I find it superior to my Maggard and iKon slants, which are a bit mild/inefficient

The main design choice in the Parker that is not to my personal taste is the well-made, grippy, but very long and substantial handle. That said, I prefer very short and thin handles on all my razors. The Thin Bar handle is the only RazoRock handle I really like.

If you ever decide you want another good slant, completely different from the Parker, the Fatip Piccolo Lo Storto small handled version of the FOCS is 1/4 the cost of the Superslant and Wunderbar. For me, it delivers a very efficient and comfortable shave.

Still, the Superslant L3 is top slant for me at the moment. Probably even my top performing DE. Primarily due to its performance on my toughest trouble spot.
Thank you for taking your time to give such a detailed reply. I already have the FOCS in the short handled version and really enjoy my shaves with it. The only other slant I have is the Yaqi which shaves wonderful for me now I've got it dialed in. I'm really looking forward to trying the Parker now. Once again thank you for the reply.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

I think you chirped it, Birdie. :)

It's a decent razor and shaves with a comforting sense of safety.

The main design choice in the Parker that is not to my personal taste is the well-made, grippy, but very long and substantial handle.

I agree with John about the handle, although I tend to prefer a mid-length rather than a short handle. That's a simple fix, though.

O.H.

Thank you for taking your time to give such a detailed reply. I already have the FOCS in the short handled version and really enjoy my shaves with it. The only other slant I have is the Yaqi which shaves wonderful for me now I've got it dialed in. I'm really looking forward to trying the Parker now. Once again thank you for the reply.

With the Piccolo FOCS in hand and the Parker on the sleigh you have covered the waterfront, both handles and heads. If your Yaqi is anything like my Yaqi (an early model with the OC cap), I congratulate your getting it dialed in. I have not given mine the necessary time and attention.

Waiting for the big guy in red will be worth it. Enjoy that Parker!

L3 shave 3

German Bolzano is still loaded, second use.

I put a custom Ti handle on. And appreciated the reduced weight.
554DABB9-1A11-498F-8DD1-549CA8723A2A.jpeg

My target was DFS. One pass and touch up on the maelstrom got me there. RRSS L3 is a darned efficient razor.

Opening the head slightly for post-shave rinsing resulted in the blade moving along the posts and jamming. Rather than forcing the head closed, I opened it all the way and re-seated the blade with my fingers.

I'm glad my regular blade rotation doesn't include any German manufactured blades.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Monday December 5, 2022
Razor: L3 Superslant
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

Second shave with the Superslant. No dramas with the blade.

I think I've spotted something, at least in my own context. I have used razors that shave equally well ATG as WTG such as the ATT S2 or the Rex Konsul. I have used razors that shave better WTG than ATG such as the ATT G1 or the Gem Jr. Bar (or a devette or shavette).

I have until now not encountered a razor that shaves better ATG than WTG. By comparison to the L3 the Wunderbar feels really rough to me ATG. I have a couple of areas where bone is close to the skin (no cushion), skin is stretchy and hair grows in several directions. My technique with most razors, including the Konsul, has developed to address those areas specifically with a series of gentle passes WTG; front to back; back to front; ATG with stretching. "Boxing the compass" as @Tanuki says...

I was not intending to dig deeply in those spots this morning, just get a little more focused than last day. I flapped on some lather, grabbed my washcloth and gently stretched the skin for one simple ATG pass. Dang. Smoother than my usual four passes up there.

Some part of me wonders if there are hidden gems lurking in the other baseplates. Possibly so, and certainly I'll be investigating an OC plate because hey, OCs are cool and to have an OC slant is even cooler. :) I'm prepared for it not to be all that and a sack of chips, though. I don't want less than I have and don't think I need more, so the L3 was a good choice.

Which causes me to ask: among those of us who lined up clutching our bankcards in our sweaty little hands, did more of us buy the L3 than any other level?

O.H.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Which causes me to ask: among those of us who lined up clutching our bankcards in our sweaty little hands, did more of us buy the L3 than any other level?
I dare to say this is likely. Slants have a reputation for being "little guillotines", which isn't necessarily true, but they are seen as such at times. The other thing is a certain trend on the forum for modern razors to go rather aggressive than milder.

I can only speak for myself, my thought was "and where is the L3 OC++?"
I usually don't find razors too aggressive, and if there is one I try to tame it. One can always dial down and buy a milder plate if everything else fails.

I turn adjustables to the middle for the first shave, interestingly. 🤔

Top Bottom