What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

I have to use extra force to tighten the handle while a new blade is loaded.
The blade also leaves scratches on the posts.:ohmy:
SSB.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Wunderbar had this bit of info

"The head is machined to two-thousandths of an inch to achieve this; each top cap and base plate has to be mated together manually because the tolerances are so exact, even a thousandth of an inch here or there makes a difference. Each razor undergoes multiple blade tests (by ME), to ensure the tolerances are exact and the blades fit perfectly."

Based on @HQX 's experience I think this might not be true for the SuperSlant anymore.
The price didn't get lowered compared to the Wunderbar, though. :cool:

I’m glad I read this thread. I always felt my wunderbar was too heavy. This one is apparently even heavier.

Every slant I’ve ever owned has shaved aggressively for me. This one will probably be no different.

I am probably going to pass.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday December 7, 2022
Razor: L3 Superslant
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

Cap-blade-push-pinch-baseplate-pinch-handle; and on to the main event.

Not to argue with @guitarslinger about the mass of the razor, but to me the Superslant feels lighter than my Wunderbar. Thinking about that in more depth tells me that the Radio Knob handle on my Wunderbar is likely the cause of that. That setup with the Wunderbar is a real tank but gives a lovely gravity-powered shave. :) I like the balance of my WB setup but I'm coming to prefer the balance on the Superslant which is close but the UFO handle isn't as chunky and carries the mass a little closer to the head.

Now we're into what vintage aircraft enthusiasts call "rivet counting." I don't need more excuses to obsess!

I've been using Astra SP blades for enough years now to notice when they perform in a manner different from my expectations. This was shave 5 on the blade; a blade that usually nets me six decent shaves. That is to say I'm comfortable with the way the edge wears in service, from a sharp and smooth start to a smooth finish that may need a return to some areas where the edge needs another chance. This wasn't a fresh blade; I had a couple of longer-interval shaves on the ATT S2 before UPS flang my new razor over the fence into a snowdrift.

Which is to say I'm looking forward to see how the blade finishes in the L3 and to seeing how the L3 feels with a fresh blade in it.

O.H.

The WB is a razor that demands attention. It will reward you with a great shave as long as you don’t get lazy. It feels good in your hand, especially with the barber pole handle ❤️

The Fine Slant shaves just as well, and requires much less care. I have often said a stainless slant that is as efficient and smooth as the Fine would be the Slant to rule them all.

My Super Slant is due to arrive Friday. I sincerely hope it is the razor I have dreamed of.

More nattering about blade loading. Today I swapped blades between the L3 and one of my FOCS. The German Bolzano stuck a little going onto the FOCS head. The Malaysian JAWS (refugee from Shark Week) loaded smoothly into the L3.

I swear, it's the darn tight German blade tolerances, not the slants.

Also, this casual test indicated that the L3 is slightly more efficient than the FOCS on my worst trouble spot.

I've had no issues with loading blades whatsoever in either the lvl1, 2 or 3

Wait, you've got three levels! I'm jealous.

I'll mail you a German made blade, and then you can tell me I'm crazy.

I’m glad I read this thread. I always felt my wunderbar was too heavy. This one is apparently even heavier.

Every slant I’ve ever owned has shaved aggressively for me. This one will probably be no different.

I am probably going to pass.
Ever tried a Merkur 37C? Probably a notch up from the standard 23C/33C/34C in aggressiveness. I find it mild but effective. And another one that I have that's not aggressive and one of the best razors I've ever owned, is the ATT X1 slant!
And I tend to favor aggressive razors but for slants, I really like those two!
LRod

3rd SS L2++ shave tonight. Personna blue loaded. Prior 2 were feathers. For me, the SS is a keeper. WB and GC will be for sale soon. I am very pleased with the l2++, it just works well for me. Two pass, WTG and ATG. Seems, so far, more forgiving than WB yet just as smooth.

I must admit, reading the posts on blade loading seemed silly. I use new blade every shave, two feathers went in with ease, same as with WB. The blue, another story. had to fiddle with it a bit as it dragged on the posts. Will have to perfect the loading as I really liked the blue first shave over the feathers. But, it's only one data point.

Top Bottom