What's new

Razorock Game Changer .68-P or Mamba .70 or BBS?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks I'm not there yet. Too many people are making great posts for the Lupo 72, BBS and CG 68P.

All three are wonderful razors which will appeal to different shavers.

Unfortunately, the only way I know to see which one suits you the best is for you to shave with each razor and see which one YOU like the best.

YMMV :)

All three are wonderful razors which will appeal to different shavers.

Unfortunately, the only way I know to see which one suits you the best is for you to shave with each razor and see which one YOU like the best.

YMMV :)
Yep, yep, for sure. I don't quite have RAD like a lot of you guys do, though. Not yet anyway. :001_smile

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
What did I ever do to you

You sauntered into this dusty saloon; a Feather Popular in one holster, a Baili 171 in the other holster; either one capable of providing many decades of above-average shaves and you asked for more.

That seed of doubt — the one that asked “but can we do better?” — had already sprouted in your mind before you confirmed your email to join this place. @never-stop-learning gave you premium food for thought and you fed it to that green monster within.

Next, you’ll start every morning waddling under the oppressive weight of a bandolier of premium and vintage razor blades, French press a few ounces of cruelty-free kopi luwak to savor while your heated scuttle comes to temperature, and feel the sting of regret as you choose only one soap or cream for your lather.

At least I didn’t bring up brushes or aftershave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Oh sure, give me the old RAD voodoo curse. (What did I ever do to you!)

+1 for the comments offered by @thombrogan. :)

And, as my fellows BOSC Brothers have said:

enablersrus.png

Just happy to help you on your journey. ;) :letterk1: :cool:

You sauntered into this dusty saloon; a Feather Popular in one holster, a Baili 171 in the other holster; either one capable of providing many decades of above-average shaves and you asked for more.

That seed of doubt — the one that asked “but can we do better?” — had already sprouted in your mind before you confirmed your email to join this place. @never-stop-learning gave you premium food for thought and you fed it to that green monster within.

Next, you’ll start every morning waddling under the oppressive weight of a bandolier of premium and vintage razor blades, French press a few ounces of cruelty-free kopi luwak to savor while your heated scuttle comes to temperature, and feel the sting of regret as you choose only one soap or cream for your lather.

At least I didn’t bring up brushes or aftershave.
OMG That was so funny! Thanks! I was literally laughing out loud. (And impressed with your command of storytelling.)

But it's funny and not funny!

I used to live a simple life. Five minutes with my Edge and Schick "sensitive" disposable (that I could use for a month!) and I was out the door.

edge.jpg

Then a friend told me about wet shaving (and the nightmare began).
I started finding shaving bowls at Goodwill.
bowls.jpg

And couldn't wait to try them! Then before I knew it, I had all kinds of crap (taking over my kitchen counter!).
stuff.jpg

I became obsessed with watching videos on shaving technique, and bowl lathering vs face lathering. I thought, What's happening to me!

And just last night (looking at razors and blades and Youtube shaving videos), I saw a Rockwell R1 for $10 on eBay! $10! Then I saw a Geo Fatboy video on the R1 and he said, "It's just about impossible to cut yourself with this razor." My RAD kicked in and I was helpless before it, and before I even realized it, I was putting in my username and password. (Now I have three razors!)

Yeah, my life used to be simple. I used to go to bed thinking about this chick I was crushing on at the bank, and my golf swing. Now I go to bed thinking about Lupos and Nacets!

So jest about RAD if you must, but never forget the sort of devastation it can cause unsuspecting guys like me.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you for your kind words, @100pctFragranceFree

I, too, go on hyper-fixation sprees and object accumulation involving them. With wet shaving, it’s a perfect storm of grooming that will leave you feeling, looking, and smelling good plus treating your skin to more luxurious pampering than the most libertine of royalty could have experienced a few generations ago.

And with sharp things! Rugged, tough sharp things! The artwork on the razor blade wrappers have crocodiles, sharks, and tigers on them. Removing that scruff by dragging a crocodile over your face. Gillette makes it so easy to give in.

To quote the musician Ja Rule: “Ooh, baby!”

The difficult question is do you have an idea of a destination in mind?

Like a few razors, a few soaps and creams, a few blades, a few… you, stuff that gets the job done with enough variety to prevent boredom?

The One grooming set to rule them all? I think @DaveHStone has an idea of that

Razors through the ages? From knapped flint 3D-printed steel?

Everything?

They‘re all tough to answer, but they’re also all open to revision.

And if you decide to become a bearded, dreadlocked pro golfer, you have a good lead on people who buy used razors.

Dear gents in this forum,
How do you compare with Lupo 72/95, BBS, and GC84 OC?
I own Baby Smooth which is quite efficient without losing much smoothness.
Is BBS (in SS) more efficient than Baby Smooth (in aluminum)?
I appreciate any forthcoming opinions a lot.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have been following this all day and really enjoyed the education I'm getting from all your super-helpful comments. Thank you!

@Cafebarian Thanks for the explanation about the safety bar, and I may take you up on your offer.

@Bill_G Thanks for pointing out the BBS is more aggressive than the 68. And thanks for pointing out the possibility of picking up the other head down the road. I, now, can't see that happening, but you never know and it will be nice to have that option.

@mtcn77 Thanks for sharing all the great points. #1 was certainly an eye opener.

@Ron R Thanks Ron. I never think of the GC 84 as a medium razor (I've always thought of it as aggressive.) but the chart cleared that up. And thanks for sharing the chart. It's super helpful.

@ImJustMe Thanks for the roaring endorsement (and explanation) of the GC .68. (When I got done reading your post I was ready to buy the 68. But then I read more posts!) (Still might get it. Thanks.)

@thombrogan Thanks for the great explanation of putting the BBS through its paces. Fascinating. It's much more flexible than I'd thought.

@jefffeith Thanks for the extensive breakdown of all the razors. I really appreciate it. This is what I should be looking for (and still might) --> But then another razor turns my head. One question. In your breakdown, does less comfort equate to more cuts?

@Dovo1695 Thanks for the recommendation. And good to hear you like the BR171, too. It's a really nice razor for being so inexpensive. I don't know how they can sell them for so little.

@BubblesUK Thanks. I haven't heard too many people say bad things about the GC 84. My impression from what I've heard it's a real darling of most owners. I appreciate your honesty. Kind of throws me a bit, but you sure do make the Mamba 70 sound good. Thanks.

@AZBronco High praise indeed for the Mamba 70. Thank you.

@Ckmaui Thanks. The pendulum swings back to the GC 68. Wow. I did read a lot of that other thread and it was getting a little confusing. As is this one (but it's very helpful too). Thanks.

@JCarr Why is that?

@never-stop-learning Thanks David. And thanks for the link to your other post. Great stuff there.

@Jasper J. Another vote for the Lupo 72, but why do you prefer it to the others in this post?

Okay, right now I can say it's pretty much between the Mamba 70 and the GC 68. With the comments of the Mamba 70 being so smooth and cut and irritation free and being a great daily shaver, I think, "That's it! That's what I want!" But then I read the comments about the GC 68 and it sounds pretty darn good too. jefffeith's comment about the GC's chatter bothered me. I like the idea of the Mambas and BBS pinning that blade down tight. But Dovo1695's cooment aboaut the 68 being a better version of the BR171, which I really like, makes me think I've got to get the 68. So IOW I'm a lot closer than I ever would be without all your help--but not quite the

The new Lupo SS razors ended my R.A.D. I no longer have any interest in trying any more razors. Would be pointless. Stating the obvious here...YMMV.

The One grooming set to rule them all? I think @DaveHStone has an idea of that
Well, it's not "black 'n' white", it's more nuanced...

In terms of hardware - yup - it's Blackland Vector OC and Simpson synthetic brush with decent backbone and large knot. I am currently enjoying my T3, but am quite positive my "final destination" will be CH2 synth. As for blades, after some experimenting, I'd say the regular Feather Professional is THE ONE blade to rule them all. So hardware is pretty straight forward for me.

Software is somewhat more complicated, not cause I haven't found the "Desert Island Performer" yet, rather I like to experiment with scents. In terms of brands though, I have no doubt in my mind: A&E the absolute #1 performer, SV the overall #1 when I count in the scents and Cella Bio my "budget cream for life" #1 option. That said, there are probably another 50+ soaps I'd like to try at some point, so this journey will continue to be very enjoyable and interesting for many years to come.

M

mtcn77

Thanks I'm not there yet. Too many people are making great posts for the Lupo 72, BBS and CG 68P.
Hi, personally the difference is up to you. Positive exposure, blade forward designs can shave you close, but I don't exactly find them particularly as smooth as negative exposure razors which can ride the cap and displace the skin from the hair follicles for a clean shave with a bit of pressure.

The new Lupo SS razors ended my R.A.D. I no longer have any interest in trying any more razors. Would be pointless. Stating the obvious here...YMMV.
You know, I don't see people crazier about a razor than the Lupo SS razors. The Henson A13 comes in a distant second. The Lupo's in my head because of posts like yours! I'd already have bought it if I wasn't afraid it would be too aggresive for my sensitive skin. Plus BBS has never been one of my goals. Still, I might get it just to end this Lupo fiending!

Top Bottom