What's new

Razorock Game Changer .68-P or Mamba .70 or BBS?

So this thread motivated me to give the GC .84-P one last go.
I picked a pretty average blade (Shark SC are average+ in everything I've got, bad in basically none), MWF and my favourite synth brush... In any other razor this would be pretty near guaranteed a good shave.

Nope.
Still unnecessarily harsh and far less efficient than it feels like it should be.

2 passes with the GC and still plenty left on the third pass... Which the Mamba 53 hoovered up nicely up DFS.

Irritation? Yep. And that's definitely not the Mamba, I never, ever, get irritation from that.

Maybe it's just me, but the GC 84 has been exceptionally disappointing - the considerable hype set me up to expect something really good and that doesn't help I'm sure, but I wouldn't have minded it being "okay" and going into rotation, I didn't expect a RAD-killer.

I know we're talking about the .68 not the .84 here so this is only so relevant, but it does highlight that even if you do your homework you can wind up buying something that just doesn't work for you...
The Mamba's are exceptional for me, but that doesn't mean that they'd be perfect for you if you bought them (nor does my disappointment in my GC necessarily mean that it wouldn't be a good razor for you!).
Thanks. I used to think like five different razors were "the one." Now I'm glad I didn't buy most of them. Seems a new "the one" comes along pretty frequently. Mambas are still on my short list.

I found that the Mamba 53 worked well enough for me, although I have to admit I don't pursue the BBS anymore. I've used it several times to shave off a full beard of at least 5mm in length. It's not the most efficient at mowing down a beard (a slant or OC would be better) but seems to do the job well enough in 3 passes with a bit of clean-up, but does require a lot of rinsing, which is hardly surprising.

For daily shaving on 1-3 days growth, I've never had a problem getting a DFS on two passes with a bit of clean-up. As always YMMV but I wouldn't write it off if you are looking for something that is very gentle but still gets the job done.

@Jasper J. Thanks for the explanation. Hmm. Riding the cap is still a mystery to me. When I ride the cap under my nostrils (with the Baili BR171) the shave is scary close (probably BBS). But then when I ride the cap over my upper lip, which is super-sensitive, I'm able to shave less close and avoid cuts. You're description of the Lupo 72 is very appealing. I wonder if no cuts and no irritation being one of my big priorities if it would be the razor for me? I've heard of people getting cut by the Lupo AL and several people in this thread seem to be warning about the Lupo 72. So you're saying by riding the cap in the entire shave, there's no blade feel? I wonder if I'm skilled enough to pull that off
I have sensitive skin, I shave every day, and chase BBS every day, I can do it without question, you can, too.

Lupo 72 has grooves in the four corners of the head to help you work under the nose. I usually use Xtg and Atg in this area.

Lupo72 can ride the cap or guard, but it best angle is the natural angle, as I said before. The blade gap is a variable, but not the only one, and I think both Lupo Al and dlc blade gaps are 72. It is not easy to find the balance between clean shaving and non-irritation. Lupo 72 does it. It has almost no learning curve, the only thing you have to do is to take out your money to buy it.

People who are stimulated by using Lupo 72 first must to check your shaving skills, find the right angle and don't use too much pressure, let the razor work by itself with its weight. Next is to help it get good of blades, GSB will be my recommendation, smooth, gentle and sharp. If you have the most sensitive skin in the world, I would suggest you go to the kitchen to find olive oil, and use it as preshave oil.

Last edited:
I have sensitive skin, I shave every day, and chase BBS every day, I can do it without question, you can, too.

Lupo72 can ride the cap or guard, but it best angle is the natural angle, as I said before. The blade gap is a variable, but not the only one, and I think both Lupo Al and dlc blade gaps are 72. It is not easy to find the balance between clean shaving and non-irritation. Lupo 72 does it. It has almost no learning curve, the only thing you have to do is to take out your money to buy it.

People who are stimulated by using Lupo 72 first must to check your shaving skills, find the right angle and don't use too much pressure, let the razor work by itself with its weight. Next is to help it get good of blades, GSB will be my recommendation, smooth, gentle and sharp. If you have the most sensitive skin in the world, I would suggest you go to the kitchen to find olive oil, and use it as preshave oil.
Lupo DLC is .61 blade gap

Lupo DLC is .61 blade gap
Do you have proof of source?
I have.
images.png

M

mtcn77

If you have the most sensitive skin in the world, I would suggest you go to the kitchen to find olive oil, and use it as preshave oil.
I keep running into stable oil practices in shaving. Do they work the same as unstable fatty acids, I would wonder. Fatty acids are more like petroleum gelly, imo.

Do you have proof of source?
I have.

I was curious as well and looked around, the original material is gone from IB, although I guess someone could email Joe to confirm, but .61 is given as the gap and usually is noted as being the same as the standard WR1. This makes sense but it's not a definitive answer.

EDA: looks like you did, so .72 looks like the gap, at least for the SS DLC.

The original Lupo was based off of the standard Wolfman wr1, which is .61 gap.
"Basically the same" doesn't mean the same.
Notice the aggressiveness chart on Italian Barber's site?
The Lupo Aluminum is ranked number 11, while the Lupo 72 is ranked 21
So is this your proof?
It did not mark the blade gap as 61.
I believe the official statement more than what you said.
We all know that the original Lupo came from wr1, but it doesn't mean they are exactly the same. Razorock can change the design of the head just like changing from 72 to 95.

Lupo DLC is coated, think about it.

Do your research, it's been stated in forums prior to the release of the 72, that the DLC is pretty much a copy of the standard wr1 (.61)
Also, my skin doesn't lie.
I wish that wasn't the case, believe me, as I wanted to like the 72.

Also, that was me that asked Joe on Instagram about it being the same.
I bought the 72 based on him saying it's "basically the same".
But it's not the same.

I just today did a shave off of the RR BBS and the new GC .68 and the GC .68 won for me again FOR ME

I've tried 4 x Game Changer plates: the GC.68-P, GC.84-P, and the .68 and .84 open comb equivalents.

For daily use, the GC.68-P does the job comfortably. It shaves like the Rockwell on R4 or R5, but with a pleasingly thinner, more agile head. On a light aluminium handle, it's now my favourite.

The different plates mean that you're not stuck, if you find the .68-P too mild. Their availability from IB is intermittent, but they are not wildly expensive, and there should be an aftermarket for any that you try and definitely rule out.

I have not tried the other RazoRock types mentioned.

Lupo 72 has grooves in the four corners of the head to help you work under the nose. I usually use Xtg and Atg in this area.

Thanks for the explanation and the vote of confidence. :001_smile

I found that the Mamba 53 worked well enough for me, although I have to admit I don't pursue the BBS anymore. I've used it several times to shave off a full beard of at least 5mm in length. It's not the most efficient at mowing down a beard (a slant or OC would be better) but seems to do the job well enough in 3 passes with a bit of clean-up, but does require a lot of rinsing, which is hardly surprising.

For daily shaving on 1-3 days growth, I've never had a problem getting a DFS on two passes with a bit of clean-up. As always YMMV but I wouldn't write it off if you are looking for something that is very gentle but still gets the job done.
Thanks. In some ways, considering my goals, it still seems like the Mamba 53 is the way to go.

I've tried 4 x Game Changer plates: the GC.68-P, GC.84-P, and the .68 and .84 open comb equivalents.

For daily use, the GC.68-P does the job comfortably. It shaves like the Rockwell on R4 or R5, but with a pleasingly thinner, more agile head. On a light aluminium handle, it's now my favourite.

The different plates mean that you're not stuck, if you find the .68-P too mild. Their availability from IB is intermittent, but they are not wildly expensive, and there should be an aftermarket for any that you try and definitely rule out.

I have not tried the other RazoRock types mentioned.
Thanks. The flexibility is a real plus to the GC 68P.

Top Bottom