What's new

Razorock Game Changer .68-P or Mamba .70 or BBS?

Hi, personally the difference is up to you. Positive exposure, blade forward designs can shave you close, but I don't exactly find them particularly as smooth as negative exposure razors which can ride the cap and displace the skin from the hair follicles for a clean shave with a bit of pressure.

Thanks. I just don't know enough about the physics of razors. I need to learn more about it. Right now I'm just thinking in the broadest terms.

M

mtcn77

Thanks. I just don't know enough about the physics of razors. I need to learn more about it. Right now I'm just thinking in the broadest terms.
I just find positive exposure razors have more blade feel that always comes through the blade gap. Since they are blade forward, they always ride at skin level; however negative exposure razors hide the blade and with help from pressure, can shave below skin level without the blade touching skin leaving no mark. It makes them mild but closer shaving, imo.

I haven't really explained it fully, as it struck me now reading it thereafter, however it is really not that I know much. I just pen my experiences as I develop my shaving skills.

For instance, I had a horrible shave today since I under estimated the soap amount by 'half' the usual requirement and the lather barely lasted 2 passes and just didn't slide smoothly. It was a WTG, XTG shave with minor ATG touch up on the jaw line. But, with practice comes mastery. Soon, I shall make it consistent.

I just find positive exposure razors have more blade feel that always comes through the blade gap. Since they are blade forward, they always ride at skin level; however negative exposure razors hide the blade and with help from pressure, can shave below skin level without the blade touching skin leaving no mark. It makes them mild but closer shaving, imo.

I haven't really explained it fully, as it struck me now reading it thereafter, however it is really not that I know much. I just pen my experiences as I develop my shaving skills.

For instance, I had a horrible shave today since I under estimated the soap amount by 'half' the usual requirement and the lather barely lasted 2 passes and just didn't slide smoothly. It was a WTG, XTG shave with minor ATG touch up on the jaw line. But, with practice comes mastery. Soon, I shall make it consistent.
Thanks a lot. I get this:

I just find positive exposure razors have more blade feel that always comes through the blade gap. Since they are blade forward, they always ride at skin level;

But I'm having a hard time visualizing this:
however negative exposure razors hide the blade and with help from pressure, can shave below skin level without the blade touching skin leaving no mark.

I understand what negative exposure razors mean about hiding the blade and the help from pressure, but how can it shave below skin level? And without the blade touching the skin?

To me if it shaved below the skin level it would be cutting. And how can a blade shave anything without touching the skin?

M

mtcn77

To me if it shaved below the skin level it would be cutting. And how can a blade shave anything without touching the skin?
The skin is pliable, but the beard is not. When pressed on, it erects the beard above the skin line for a brief instant which is enough for the razor to work. Negative blade exposure maintains the distance of the blade from the skin eventhough the razor very near the skin level, but always maintained at a distance - not on the skin. I cannot describe it in any other way, I even get irritated if I start with the wrong direction, or angle.
It is a very time consuming habit for me. It has to follow the same passes in the same steep to shallow angle sequence.

You know, I don't see people crazier about a razor than the Lupo SS razors. The Henson A13 comes in a distant second. The Lupo's in my head because of posts like yours! I'd already have bought it if I wasn't afraid it would be too aggresive for my sensitive skin. Plus BBS has never been one of my goals. Still, I might get it just to end this Lupo fiending!
I also have Henson AL13, and it is a mild version. It's blade feel is very obvious, because the blades are exposed more on the side of the head flat surfaces, and the blade angle is not downward, and because of this, it can shave very cleanly. I don't think you will like it at your request if shave every day.

You know, I don't see people crazier about a razor than the Lupo SS razors.

As a long time lurker before posting... Be careful with this line of thought!!!

Like many (even most) enthusiast forums, products go through phases where they're flavour of the month and nothing else measures up - then a little time passes and they're just another quality product that's out there that plenty of people like and some people don't.

Very, very few razors a truly revolutionary (in a way that sticks and spreads to other designs) - most are minor variations on the same theme as everything else out there.
That's not to say that you won't find a noticeable difference between them in face feel, but that hype isn't something to get carried away with.

As I'm pretending to be the local sage already 🤣🤣
Another thing to be aware of is you seem to be entering analysis paralysis - there's so much data and so many opinions that it's getting nigh on impossible to process very much from it... At some point, you'll have to find a way to break out of it and just pick something and give it a go.

You know, I don't see people crazier about a razor than the Lupo SS razors. The Henson A13 comes in a distant second. The Lupo's in my head because of posts like yours! I'd already have bought it if I wasn't afraid it would be too aggresive for my sensitive skin. Plus BBS has never been one of my goals. Still, I might get it just to end this Lupo fiending!

The skin is pliable, but the beard is not. When pressed on, it erects the beard above the skin line for a brief instant which is enough for the razor to work. Negative blade exposure maintains the distance of the blade from the skin eventhough the razor very near the skin level, but always maintained at a distance - not on the skin. I cannot describe it in any other way, I even get irritated if I start with the wrong direction, or angle.
It is a very time consuming habit for me. It has to follow the same passes in the same steep to shallow angle sequence.
Really great explanation. Sounds like the best way to shave cut free. Thanks a lot.

I also have Henson AL13, and it is a mild version. It's blade feel is very obvious, because the blades are exposed more on the side of the head flat surfaces, and the blade angle is not downward, and because of this, it can shave very cleanly. I don't think you will like it at your request if shave every day.
Thanks. Yeah, I don't like blade feel. I like that notion of having to check the whiskers were removed feeling (because there was no blade feel). I know guys love the Henson AL13 but it's not for me. Even on their website there are not a few reviews that mention cuts.

I know you're keen on the Lupo SS .72. So you need the big angle on that but when you hold it, what's the blade feel like? And do you know if it has negative blade exposure?

As a long time lurker before posting... Be careful with this line of thought!!!

Like many (even most) enthusiast forums, products go through phases where they're flavour of the month and nothing else measures up - then a little time passes and they're just another quality product that's out there that plenty of people like and some people don't.

Very, very few razors a truly revolutionary (in a way that sticks and spreads to other designs) - most are minor variations on the same theme as everything else out there.
That's not to say that you won't find a noticeable difference between them in face feel, but that hype isn't something to get carried away with.

As I'm pretending to be the local sage already 🤣🤣
Another thing to be aware of is you seem to be entering analysis paralysis - there's so much data and so many opinions that it's getting nigh on impossible to process very much from it... At some point, you'll have to find a way to break out of it and just pick something and give it a go.
Thanks. Advice well taken. In addition, I think I still have a lot to learn about how and why razors work the way they do. And I hear you about the flavor (although you spelled it wrong:wink2:) of the month. I've already been through that.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't like blade feel. I like that notion of having to check the whiskers were removed feeling (because there was no blade feel). I know guys love the Henson AL13 but it's not for me. Even on their website there are not a few reviews that mention cuts.

I know you're keen on the Lupo SS .72. So you need the big angle on that but when you hold it, what's the blade feel like? And do you know if it has negative blade exposure?
The Lupo 72 has positive blade exposure.

A razor without proper blade exposure will only make you unclean and inefficient. It feels like nothing is done without installing a blade, just like Rockwell 6s r1. I really like Lupo 72, It finds a very good balance between efficiency and comfort. You don't need to go an area and back many times, it's clean enough just once.
In addition to the blade exposure, you should also pay attention to the angle of the blade. Compared to Henson AL13, Lupo 72's blade feels almost nothing if you find the right angle, because the angle between the blade and the face is so small, it is cutting, not scratching.
When you use Henson al13 on the first day, you will feel amazing, but when you use it on the second and third days, you will feel irritated. Al13 is not suitable for daily use, It will scrape too much cuticle.
Don't just talk about it, go buy it.

Last edited:
A razor without proper blade exposure will only make you unclean and inefficient. It feels like nothing is done without installing a blade, just like Rockwell 6s r1. I really like Lupo 72, It finds a very good balance between efficiency and comfort. You don't need to go an area and back many times, it's clean enough just once.
In addition to the blade exposure, you should also pay attention to the angle of the blade. Compared to Henson AL13, Lupo 72's blade feels almost nothing if you find the right angle, because the angle between the blade and the face is so small, it is cutting, not scratching.
When you use Henson al13 on the first day, you will feel amazing, but when you use it on the second and third days, you will feel irritated. Al13 is not suitable for daily use, It will scrape too much cuticle.
Don't just talk about it, go buy it.
I know, I know, I should be buying some of these things but that's not my personality. (Or my pocketbook.) I tend to look for that one thing I can stay with. (My car is 17 years old and I wouldn't trade it for the world--especially with all this self driving crap in the new cars. I'll drive the damn car. Thank you very much.) Yeah, so I'm looking for a lifer. Who knows. I may end up buying something soon. There's just so much to choose from. Lupo, GC, Karve, Envoy etc etc etc.

The irritating thing (pun intended) about all this is that different people can get irritation from different designs...

Some people push too much with negative blade exposure and make things worse.

Some people can take a little positive exposure but fare better with less blade gap.

Some people get their most comfortable results with the blade held as rigidly as possible, others it doesn't matter as much.

Some find the razor weight matters, some don't.

Some find open combs more comfortable, some find them less so.

Finding out what does and doesn't work for you can take a few razors to discover...

Which is one of the nice things about going the vintage Gillette's route - you can pick up a few different designs relatively cheap (Old, New LC, New SC, Tech), keep what works, sell what doesn't and learn a little more about what you like in the process.
And also, at the risk of being controversial, these are no-nonsense crowd pleasers and unashamedly not enthusiast oriented by design, in the sense that they're not intended to be challenging or excessively aggressive (which some enthusiasts today might enjoy, but your average man in the street probably wouldn't) - as a result they're simply smooth and effective to this day (even the Old, although those can bite a bit more if you don't know what you're doing, very very smooth when you do though).

Top Bottom