What's new

Razorock Mamba 53 or BBS compared to Leaf Twig and Gillette Tech

I’m interested in getting a Mamba 53 or BBS. Anyone have one that also has a Leaf Twig or a 60s and above era aluminum Tech?

How do they compare? I like a more mild razor and the Mamba 53 looks right up my alley. BBS according to RR’s chart looks to be more “aggressive”. I’m getting great shaves with zero irritation currently using a Twig and my early 60s British aluminum Tech.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I almost have some of the toys mentioned — Mamba 0.53, BBS (“Standard” plate) and a post-war Tech (brass, sadly).

Of those, I prefer the Mamba 0.53 and post-war Tech to the BBS (which I also like). The Mamba 0.53 works best for me held at an angle best described as the steeper side of neutral and the Tech at the shallow side of neutral (despite all the adcopy from Gillette seemingly showing it designed for a steeper angle). So long as pressure is not excessive, both razors provide a close and gentle shave with the Mamba 0.53 feeling that much better (unless I good and press too hard and then it’s that much worse) than the Tech.

None of this is to suggest the BBS is a bad razor — it’s brilliant. Also, I shave mostly ATG, so that may be why I like the Mamba and post-war Tech more (they let me get away with it).

Hope this helps and that someone with experience using all of the exactly mentioned toys chimes in.

I’ve had both mambas and all the bbs plates and personally prefer the gamechanger 68p. Don’t rule it out if you haven’t already tried it. I think it’s smoother and just overall a better razor.

Yep, think it goes back to ...you will have to try them...finding what works best with your face and technic.
I had all that is mentioned except the Single Edge Twig. The only single edge for is a Straight.
I very thick and fast growing stubble. Mamba had, did not work for my face. It most likely is a great daily shaver to those with less gorilla stubble.
I do still have and use the R.R. BBS A & AS. I did not like the standard BBS, either the Alum or the S.S. to mild for me, too many passed required.
Some techs can me mild. My dad gave me a bunch but I don't use them. Also there are so many modern tech variations out there, it is crazy from low to high.
Also on the note about "Aggression" ..I really dislike the term. I do think R.R. hierarchy chart is pretty damn good.
I pretty much stick with tools that have high efficiency, match my skill level, that give me the best results with zero irritation. Results also means a shave that is close and keeps my stubble a bay for the longest period of time possible. Tops are the Straight, then my Slants, then my pack of DEs(non slants).
So....with all that....
Research, make a little plan...
Buy and Try......No two faces or skill sets are a like...that is not even getting into other variables (prep, soap, ..)!
Be Open, Do not be fearful, patience and methodical...and always have fun...
Consistency matters ....

BFX
hope it is a little help

Top Bottom