What's new

Newbie - Current Setup & Overview

Thanks for sharing your journal.

AD sure is creeping really fast. Beginner here myself, started just 3 weeks ago.
I could not believe it myself but I already acquired 7 soaps, 3 brushes, 2 pre shaves, 3 after shaves and so many different blade sampler that will last me for many years.

One thing, I keep constant is my razor. Like you I have Rockwell 6S R3 which I really enjoy.
Gives us 6 different plates of aggressiveness to choose from plus the really good weight of it.
Once you get used to it and develop your techniques, the cap is really not an issue.

I also keep using one blade for the time being, Astra SP.
I won't be able to tell the blade differences unless I hone my techniques to perfection.
Blade sampler are for later when I could tell which blade is best for me, then I will go ahead and buy 100's.

Anyways, looking forward to your shaving updates.

Thanks for sharing your journal.

AD sure is creeping really fast. Beginner here myself, started just 3 weeks ago.
I could not believe it myself but I already acquired 7 soaps, 3 brushes, 2 pre shaves, 3 after shaves and so many different blade sampler that will last me for many years.

One thing, I keep constant is my razor. Like you I have Rockwell 6S R3 which I really enjoy.
Gives us 6 different plates of aggressiveness to choose from plus the really good weight of it.
Once you get used to it and develop your techniques, the cap is really not an issue.

I also keep using one blade for the time being, Astra SP.
I won't be able to tell the blade differences unless I hone my techniques to perfection.
Blade sampler are for later when I could tell which blade is best for me, then I will go ahead and buy 100's.

Anyways, looking forward to your shaving updates.
Thanks for the reply, we are entering the same journey because I just bought some stuff as well. WM Neumann and Pasteur products sounded interesting so I pulled the trigger on a couple new items. It’s addicting already and I originally thought “oh I’ll save some money and learn a new skill” yeah right, definitely not saving money 🤣
So far so good with the shaves, I am very happy with the progress and yesterday I had one of the smoothest shaves yet! I really slowed down and use very little pressure - thanks to the advice from folks on B&B, it’s been a new relaxing ritual for me. I was initially shaving like I did with the cartridge so faster and more pressure and actually didn’t like shaving, did it about every 3 days. Now I’m shaving practically daily or every other day and there’s no going back to a cartridge razor. My only regret is that no one turned me on to this amazing craft sooner!
I hope your journey is going well, it sounds like you have the AD (acquisition disorder too). We are going to London in July so that will be a wet shaving shoppers delight!
Cheers! 🥂

It’s addicting already and I originally thought “oh I’ll save some money and learn a new skill” yeah right, definitely not saving money 🤣

I don’t want to admit that to myself either. So lets just say we shell out our expenses decades in advance?

We save our hard earned $$$ if we calculate it that way, although we have to stop buying stuff if we want that to be true.

Waiting for my next Amazon delivery.🤔🤣

I don’t want to admit that to myself either. So lets just say we shell out our expenses decades in advance?

We save our hard earned $$$ if we calculate it that way, although we have to stop buying stuff if we want that to be true.

Waiting for my next Amazon delivery.🤔🤣
Yep we can save money IF and only IF we stuck with one razor and did not hoard blades, soaps, brushes....... but what is the fun in that?

I had a great shave last night and things have been going really well but I made a “rookie mistake”. I like to shave in the evening so I can take my time, without a lot of interruptions and enjoy it, but last night my wife decided she would come in and talk to me. Well she asked me a question while I was shaving, ATG under the nose, and I looked at her and away from my shave nicking/lacerating the bottom edge of my nostril. This bled a good amount and I learned a lesson (so didn’t she) that I need to pay attention to what I’m doing and not be overly distracted. At least now she understands why I shave in peace and quiet. Other than this it was a great shave.😁

I had a great shave last night and things have been going really well but I made a “rookie mistake”. I like to shave in the evening so I can take my time, without a lot of interruptions and enjoy it, but last night my wife decided she would come in and talk to me. Well she asked me a question while I was shaving, ATG under the nose, and I looked at her and away from my shave nicking/lacerating the bottom edge of my nostril. This bled a good amount and I learned a lesson (so didn’t she) that I need to pay attention to what I’m doing and not be overly distracted. At least now she understands why I shave in peace and quiet. Other than this it was a great shave.😁
Heal quickly!

So I have been DE wet shaving almost 2 months now. The first month was a lot of learning (still a lot more learning to go!) but I decided to venture out last night. I ordered the Yates Merica & Winner razors several weeks ago thinking by the time I get them I might be ready to give it a go. Well the Yates razors arrived yesterday and I had 2 days of growth so I decided to take the plunge. I loaded up the Merica with a Gillette Platinum blade (made in Russia) and used some new products I got from W.M. Neumann this week - Bay Rum; pre-shave oil (hot towel first), shave cream, and after-shave balm along with the usual Alum and Thayers witch hazel. I used the RazoRock Bruce brush and the Captains lathering bowl - both PIFs :) and......
WOW! The best shave I have ever had! I don't know what more to say other than wow, even my wife complimented it's the softest she has felt my face. The Yates is my golden ticket so far in my shaving journey! It amazes me how good shaving makes me feel now compared to just a couple months ago and my face looks so much better and healthier.
Thanks again to B&B you guys are #1.
Merica3.jpg

So I have been DE wet shaving almost 2 months now. The first month was a lot of learning (still a lot more learning to go!) but I decided to venture out last night. I ordered the Yates Merica & Winner razors several weeks ago thinking by the time I get them I might be ready to give it a go. Well the Yates razors arrived yesterday and I had 2 days of growth so I decided to take the plunge. I loaded up the Merica with a Gillette Platinum blade (made in Russia) and used some new products I got from W.M. Neumann this week - Bay Rum; pre-shave oil (hot towel first), shave cream, and after-shave balm along with the usual Alum and Thayers witch hazel. I used the RazoRock Bruce brush and the Captains lathering bowl - both PIFs :) and......
WOW! The best shave I have ever had! I don't know what more to say other than wow, even my wife complimented it's the softest she has felt my face. The Yates is my golden ticket so far in my shaving journey! It amazes me how good shaving makes me feel now compared to just a couple months ago and my face looks so much better and healthier.
Thanks again to B&B you guys are #1.
View attachment 1825237
Very cool! It had been great to follow along on your journey. That is awesome news!

Just a quick follow up; I had the ultimate best shave so far last night. I took my time with a good prep, some shave oil, TOBS Sandalwood, and the new to me Yates Merica razor with a sample Nacet blade. Followed by some Alum, Thayer's Witch Hazel, and aftershave balm/Nivea. No nicks, no weepers, a scant amount of irritation just at the very base of my neck otherwise so so smooth - closest to BBS that I know of! I don't even think I can shave tonight given how good my face it still feels. :thumbup:

Since my last post, regarding the shave on 4/11, my facial hair has not grown in fast at all. It’s like it’s a day 1 post shave vs. day 2 which I’m on. I assume this means I had a super close shave but this is the slowest my whiskers have grown back ever. First time using Nacet blade too so not sure if that’s it or my technique is improving…I am leaning towards the blade 😆

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Since my last post, regarding the shave on 4/11, my facial hair has not grown in fast at all. It’s like it’s a day 1 post shave vs. day 2 which I’m on. I assume this means I had a super close shave but this is the slowest my whiskers have grown back ever. First time using Nacet blade too so not sure if that’s it or my technique is improving…I am leaning towards the blade 😆
It's probably a combination of the two. Nacets are very nice, sharp blades... and I'm sure your technique has been improving steadily.

Happy for you, makes shaving really enjoyable. Could not wait to try Nacet myself which is included on my blade sampler.

It’s probably combination of both but your technique definitely improved. You’re one of my batch mates, new to this hobby.

My 1st time using a different blade too. I’m getting really close shaves recenlty better than the previous. Like many others when they revisited their old blades they find it to be not so bad after they hone their technique.

It would probably take a long time for me atleast to know which blade would be my go to blade.

I broke some rules...thinking things were going well, I decided to try an old razor I got and some new soap last night (1954 Flare Tip TTO and IGY6 soap) with a Gillete Silver Blue blade. The rule I broke was changing two variables during one shave which didn't go so great. The pre and post shave process was the same as usual. While shaving I felt what can be described as a "skipping, dragging, or bouncing" of the razor. This resulted in me adding some pressure which resulted in more irritation. I tried searching these terms on B&B but came up short on answers. The razor is old but in good shape - my first use. The soap is new since I have mainly been using cream (Proraso or the Castle Forbes - PIFs) and I am not 100% sure I had a great lather but felt good and there was no drip and it wasn't drying up on my face. Any input on what might cause this feeling I am describing? I'll probably avoid this particular setup for now and go back to what has been working well for me. Thanks!

Went back to basics and had a DFS! I used the Rockwell 6S #R3 with GSB blade. I did do something for the first time that was different and I think it helped a bit, I washed my face with face soap before the shave. Typically, I don't shower beforehand because the mirror gets fogged up and I prefer to shower afterwards, but I do use a hot towel to the face prior to shaving. On to the shave; Proraso pre-shave, Proraso shave soap, RazoRock Bruce brush with 3 passes. My 3rd pass required a little bit of pressure to get some stragglers around the neck and mouth area but no irritation and no weepers so I am happy with that. Maybe I should try the R4 plate next time to see if that will clean things up more efficiently. Post shave was rinse, Alum, cold water rinse, Thayer's witch hazel, Nivea & Renegade Wholly Kaw balm. Very pleased overall.

I may have reached the 10/10 shave this week! Ordered the Yates 921-M and the Blackbird Lite. They both came in this week and they have blown me away! I don't think I can pick between the two of them, tiny little pros and cons for each but these would be my desert island razors - have to take both. I got BBS with both; super smooth and efficient using Nacet blades. The only thing I changed on the Yates was the handle, standard length handle is 4" so I swapped it for the Merica 3.5" handle and now it's perfect for me...this has taken me to the next level of wet shaving. Thanks B&B!

Attachments

• Yates 921_M.jpg
    Yates 921_M.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Blackbird_Lite.jpeg
    Blackbird_Lite.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I may have reached the 10/10 shave this week! Ordered the Yates 921-M and the Blackbird Lite. They both came in this week and they have blown me away! I don't think I can pick between the two of them, tiny little pros and cons for each but these would be my desert island razors - have to take both. I got BBS with both; super smooth and efficient using Nacet blades. The only thing I changed on the Yates was the handle, standard length handle is 4" so I swapped it for the Merica 3.5" handle and now it's perfect for me...this has taken me to the next level of wet shaving. Thanks B&B!
You are certainly moving along at a blistering pace my good man! Two months in and you are into Yates and Blackland territory. Nothing wrong with that though as long as you are having fun. Congratulations on your great shaves!

Top Bottom