What's new

Rapt_up DE shaving journal - The journey begins

CK- 6soap, RR Lupo 95 Sb with Bic CP Blade,m shaved in the shower, Single pass, no touchups, ended up with a DFS shave in less time than yesterday's rush job. No irritation, no blood. :)

I have to say I really think for me that the higher efficiency (so far) just translates to a better shave. Less mucking about, get it done with a minimum of balde time. Also I think that it really needs enough blade feel to know whats going on and minimize that skin contact. Again wet-super wet lather is a must for that feedback from the blade.

Another Lupo 95 shave, at the sink today with SW Druantia. Scent is just meh, to me and i really wanted to like it.
Great wet lather though, with the RR400.

Nice quick easy shave today, second shave on the Bic blade. A little irritation on my scar under my jaw, but a good easy DFS++ shave.

The Karve CB G plate is due to arrive tomorrow!

Last edited:
TOdays Shave was the Lupo 95 again, with Gentleman's Nod Musashi. Good shave, one ATG/XTG pass, DFS to DFS+ most areas, again some irritation on my scar.

Karve arrived this afternoon, looks great, looking forward to tomorrow. :)

Well a busy day today with family, but I did have time to get a shave in this morning with the Karve G SB plate. In the shower, nice wet lather, not surprisingly it felt different than the Lupo 95. Despite a larger gap (1.36mm) and a fair bit of positive exposure (0.25mm) it didn't seem excessively aggressive, or even that efficient while I was doing my single ATG/XTG pass with a couple touchups. Overall it seemed to be leaving a fair bit of felt whiskers in the shower, but I wasn't going to push it with this razor on the first time out.

So I was surprised to discover that after rinsing and moisturizing and getting on with my day the shave actually turned out to be a DFS++ shave, with virtually no irritation, even on my jawline scar. Fascinating since it didn't feel especially close while it was happening. Also got in closer under my nose than the past couple Lupo 95 shaves, despite a thicker bar area. Overall I am intrigued and will be shaving with both of them a bunch more over the next while.

May also look at getting a Lupo 95 OC, and Karve F and G OC's to try.

Had a Karve morning today, smooth DFS ++ but it's more work than the Lupo for me. Had to dig up my septic to get it pumped and then snake the line.

Shaved again when I showered afterwards. This time with the Lupo. It's just a better fit for my natural angle I think.

Had a Karve morning today, smooth DFS ++ but it's more work than the Lupo for me. Had to dig up my septic to get it pumped and then snake the line.

Shaved again when I showered afterwards. This time with the Lupo. It's just a better fit for my natural angle I think.
Septic...always something eh.

Fascinating since it didn't feel especially close while it was happening
That had to do with the shower and the shaving itself. Your follicles expands as you prepare your skin for the shave. The shave has done some exfoliating (given gap and exposure) and now post shave have had the time to recline again. Hence a softer feeling after the shave than during. This is the risky time for over shaving as you still feel stubble.

I learned that from the BOSC+ members and regularly find it to be true.

Guido

@Guido75 I have been noticing that and trying hard to not overshave, as a result.

Todays shave was the Lupo 95 SB in the shower with a really nice lather and a bit more time. 2 Pass ATG/XTG with touchups. Shave has settled to a nice DFS++ with areas of BBS. Its hard to judge, I think the Karve has as good a feel when its dialed in, and is nearly as good a shave, just I have a hard time getting it dialed in as well as with the Lupo. Definitely have an easier time around my nose and upper lip with the Lupo.

Last edited:
Todays shave is one of my best ever. Blackland Era Top cap, RR Lupo DC plate with new Nacet blade, Ti Crown handle, lots of wet lather from PAA Danaid Ck-6. A one and a half pass ATG with touchups using the 95 SB side of the Lupo plate. Smooth easy shave, whiskers just snick, snick, no pulling, no chatter, not really any audible feedback. Could tell it was good... but.... after moisturizing and face relaxing BBS over 95% of my face, couple spots on jaw where I didn't quite follow the contours just right. And its still feeling the same now. A happy shave without a lot of extra time and effort.

The Era Top cap imparts a bit more angle to the blade, as well as supporting it closer to the edge (Almost 1mm on each side) on the back side. Resulting in a stiffer cutting edge and a blade angle that allows a steeper shave angle.
20230412_145400.jpg

Might polish that Era top cap for some extra glide, although honestly I don't think it really touches my face much.

TOdays shaves yes thats right two of them. Era with the same Nacet blade. First one was a super quick one pass in the shower before heading out, the second was before heading out for dinner.

Both shaves were somewhat less smooth, but also not nearly as close. Time /passes is important.

Tuesday's Shave was with the EraLupo 72 OC side. Had a nice smooth shave, definitely can feel the teeth on the face but the shave almost seems easier than the 95 SB side . Just as close DFS+ to BBS with SW Druantia. A good shave. Going to try and pick up a 95 OC baseplate to try too.

Top Bottom