What's new

Premium razor most like GC84?

Frankly, reviewing your comments I would consider getting a back-up GC!! Seems to me that you have found ‘your’ destination razor!!
The GC is a premium razor IMO. It’s just not priced like one.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of these. If you’re that happy with the Game Changer, stick with it. Having recently purchased the same razor myself, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality, tolerances or finish of the Game Changer.
Price is not always interchangeable with quality or premium.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have the opportunity to have RAD, but I'm just not feeling it.

After decades of cartridge shaving I started DE shaving a few years ago. I've used a EJ89, Fatip Piccolo, a couple vintage, and a Rockwell 6S (for a long time!), - until a year or so ago I tried a Game Changer .84 and fell in love.

On the GC84 I like the fact that it's solid stainless, has a compact and maneuverable head, has the right level of aggression, a closed comb/safety bar, and covered blade tabs. I like that it's okay if I "just use it" (aka neglect) for months, and then soak it in Scrubbing Bubbles and bring it back to new. I pair it with high-smooth/middle sharp blades - RPL and Parker - and love the combination.

I don't like... there's nothing I don't like about the GC84. I'm thinking I should shop for a spare, just in case.

The thing is: Before I got it I'd talked to my wife about maybe getting me a "premium" razor, at the time thinking a Timeless. Now the Timeless looks bulky to me, but she hasn't forgotten and asks me periodically if I'm ready for a premium. Apparently I'm hard to shop for.

So: Are there any premium double-edged razors that have the same basic characteristics as the GC84? (Maybe a Blackland?)

Thank you.

Signed,
Content in Pittsburgh

Getting a back-up GC .84 SB is certainly a very valid path forward. It is an excellent razor.

If you decide to proceed with a different make of razor, the Blackland Dart may be worth looking at. Just got mine in yesterday and shaved with it this morning. It is a fine shaving razor, in my opinion.

Again, just my opinion and YMMV.

Thanks, all - this has been really helpful. I didn't even know Haircut and Shaving existed, and they look like a very valid competitor on this.

So:
  1. I'm starting a comparison spreadsheet - my normal response to making a major purchase, when I have time.
  2. (Easy decision) I ordered a GC84 open comb. It will serve as my backup/spare without being identical to my original.
The other decision I need to confront it: How much value do I assign to a "work of art" (premium) vs "excellent tool quality" (Razorock)? I'm pondering.

Thanks!
Tim

Thanks, all - this has been really helpful. I didn't even know Haircut and Shaving existed, and they look like a very valid competitor on this.

So:
  1. I'm starting a comparison spreadsheet - my normal response to making a major purchase, when I have time.
  2. (Easy decision) I ordered a GC84 open comb. It will serve as my backup/spare without being identical to my original.
The other decision I need to confront it: How much value do I assign to a "work of art" (premium) vs "excellent tool quality" (Razorock)? I'm pondering.

Thanks!
Tim

I think you made an excellent decision. I like my Gamechanger a lot. I was in the same boat as you, wanting something similar but more premium. Then I realized how foolish I felt, here I am going to spent more money on something that it’s at is core the same thing to provide the same shave. So I decided to buy some handles to improve my shaves and bring the most out of its design.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

So:

Thanks!
Tim

In my opinion, you made a great decision, Tim.

All of the Game Changers get the job done, just in slightly different ways.

Have fun and enjoy your journey.

Not the SSH1?

I'm just curious because I am looking into buying a Windsor, I want one that gives the closest shave to the GC.84 in feel and efficiency as this is what I enjoy.
To be honest I haven’t tried the SSH1. Despite the SSR1 being a lesser gap, it is more blade forward and feels to me very close to Karve C plate and not B plate, as well as GC.84. I suspect that the SSH1 is like the Timeless.95 more so than the GC.84. Somebody with the Windsor SSH1&GC.84 needs to chime in. Just my 2 cents.

So:

Spreadsheet? You are my kinda shaver! :thumbup::smartass:

Just to stir the pot, have you thought about trying/buying just a premium or custom handle? It is possible you will dial in your GC shave even more. You can have a work of art attached to your excellent favorite tool.

I prefer shorter/skinnier/lighter handles myself so a couple of custom dimension titanium handles from a Russian guy are my favorites with the GC OC and JAWS. The guy I worked with was completely willing to adjust the dimensions of two of his designs to my preference.

Lots of beautiful/premium/expensive handles are out there, ready to ‘upgrade’ your GC. Some might have an oddball thread, but most will fit the very standard M5x.8 threading that RazoRock uses.

My Ti Russian dolls:
7CA7A206-814C-4B9E-BC77-95B8BBA257B9.jpeg

6B72E922-0910-45E9-A4C3-A54FDF8BF8D4.jpeg

Hi,

I use my Timeless Ti handle with my GC0.84 and for me it gives the perfect weight and balance. The handle has also got a much better finish than the RR one I got with the razor.

It feels like an ultra premium razor with this handle, certainly up there with the Timeless razor itself in terms of fit, finish and shave feel.

Cheers
proxy.php

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

The GC is a premium razor IMO. It’s just not priced like one.

THIS! That being said; I use either the GC84 or the Timeless .95 everyday. The biggest difference between the two for me is that the GC needs a slightly steeper angle. I have been told that the GC shaves like a Wolfman WR1, but I can't attest to that not having a Wolfman.

Spreadsheet? You are my kinda shaver! :thumbup::smartass:

Just to stir the pot, have you thought about trying/buying just a premium or custom handle? It is possible you will dial in your GC shave even more. You can have a work of art attached to your excellent favorite tool.

I prefer shorter/skinnier/lighter handles myself so a couple of custom dimension titanium handles from a Russian guy are my favorites with the GC OC and JAWS. The guy I worked with was completely willing to adjust the dimensions of two of his designs to my preference.

Lots of beautiful/premium/expensive handles are out there, ready to ‘upgrade’ your GC. Some might have an oddball thread, but most will fit the very standard M5x.8 threading that RazoRock uses.

My Ti Russian dolls:
View attachment 1024123
View attachment 1024124

Very nice! I like the idea of just getting a premium handle for a GC.

This idea is interesting... Are these handles from "rusdrunkbear" on the auction site?

By the way, the last couple days I've been using the GC.84 Open Comb, and: Zowie, it shaves close! Maybe not quite as automatic or comfortable as the SB, but wow.

This idea is interesting... Are these handles from "rusdrunkbear" on the auction site?

By the way, the last couple days I've been using the GC.84 Open Comb, and: Zowie, it shaves close! Maybe not quite as automatic or comfortable as the SB, but wow.
Him and TiBam make titanium handles

That’s the guy and the place. I bought two handles/stands, his designs, made to my custom length and diameter. Nice work, pretty easy communications. Fast turnaround considering the distance.

Hi,

I use my Timeless Ti handle with my GC0.84 and for me it gives the perfect weight and balance. The handle has also got a much better finish than the RR one I got with the razor.

It feels like an ultra premium razor with this handle, certainly up there with the Timeless razor itself in terms of fit, finish and shave feel.

Cheers
proxy.php

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
I use my Timeless Ti handle on all my razors Wunderbar, GC.84, And of course my Timeless Ti and Timeless ss.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A mild, well made razor similar to the RR GC. The first one to come to my mind was the Seygus. CNC machined from solid brass and made in Spain.

IMG_20161211_153842770.jpg

I havent looked around their website for a while but I think blade gap was the same as the NEW SC at .023" with neutral blade exposure. The SB and OC base plates are both different designs. The OC base has full blade support, the SB base does not. From what I've read around the forum they're mild but effective razors of very high quality.

The other is Tatara. A rigid design, CNC machined and very high quality. From what I've read around the forum they're also very smooth and mild yet effective and of very high quality.

QXB0uQa.jpg

I use my Timeless Ti handle on all my razors Wunderbar, GC.84, And of course my Timeless Ti and Timeless ss.
that's beautiful irony.
i use my razorock barber pole on my timeless Ti. i think it looks nicer, but it sure offers waaaaaaaaaay more grip than the Ti handle.
also interesting.. . i had my timeless before my game changer. i use the game changer much more often. the geometry of the head is truly just right for me. i also use the SLOC more than the timeless. very similar head profile to the game changer.

Top Bottom