What's new

Between Merkur 34C and Muhle R41

New razor day! Thanks everyone for your help. First shave was good. Not nearly as exciting as the R41, but does a better job than the 34C it is replacing. I was pretty careful today and respected the tool. I'll enjoy getting to know it over a dozen shaves or so, but I got a good shave and no carnage. Used a fresh Astra blade because they are familiar.

GC76 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

I love my R41 but only as a once a week razor.
The more beard growth i have the better the shave (had 4 months beard growth and one of my best ever shaves with the R41)

Game Changer .76 ordered

Thank you to everyone who offered advice and encouragement.

...Or a Razorock Lupo DC...... and some alum for when you use that R41. BTW toss the blades after 2-3 uses.....

Dovo Primo, very easy smooth razor but more efficient as Merkur 34C

Thanks for the continued suggestions. For those of you who skimmed, I have purchased a RazoRock Game Changer .076. Should be in hand next Tuesday with an assortment (mine, not theirs) of fresh blades.

Next step
Edwin Jagger 3one6
Merkur Progress, or Merkur 37C

...and so it goes...

New razor day! Thanks everyone for your help. First shave was good. Not nearly as exciting as the R41, but does a better job than the 34C it is replacing. I was pretty careful today and respected the tool. I'll enjoy getting to know it over a dozen shaves or so, but I got a good shave and no carnage. Used a fresh Astra blade because they are familiar.

View attachment 1803484

dovo primo

:001_huh:

View attachment 1803484
Great choice. It would have been my suggestion I hope this works out!

3 shaves with the new razor. All with an Astra. This was the first daily shave (I shaved yesterday). My face and especially my neck are still recovering from my R41-as-a-daily experiment.

I'm not chasing BBS while my face recovers and I get used to the new tool, but I'm getting good shaves and I would say no irritation that I don't blame the R41 residual for. It's a very smooth razor, does a good job. DEFINITELY more efficient and effective than my Merkur was and WAY milder than the Muhle.

I haven't used Astra in a while, but it was my go-to early on with the 34C. The last few years with that razor was strictly Feather. I think I'm going to try a Nacet next, which I've never used and am looking forward to. I wanted to start with something familiar. I also got a pack of Treats and I have Feathers, Personna (blue packet) and a few Dorcos. I can't see putting a Dorco in the Game Changer, they're for the R41 and I don't see buying them again. I'm hoping Treat or Astra take up residence in the R41 for it's now-and-again showing.

Tools not jewels - Okay, I get it. I MIGHT shine up the cap a little bit, but fit and finish is great, I think. There is a sense of precision to it. I always had a feeling with my Merkur had slightly different blade exposure on one side vs the other. The GC is a precision tool. It is noticeably heavier than either of my previous two razors, but I don't have an issue with that at this point. The balance point seems to be right about where I would want it. Merkurs are not pretty. This is a better razor overall in every way.

I went with the Super Knurl handle because a) I liked how it looked and b) I like knurling. Holy crap is this some knurling! It's almost sharp, but I love it. I catch myself rinsing and drying my hands a few times during my shave which I think is a habit I picked up holding that gorgeous, but totally worthless Muhle handle. If I pick up another plate at some point, I might pick up a 2nd handle too, but it's too soon to tell. I'm happy with my choice, razor and handle all around.

You guys really got me to the right answer and I appreciate it. I would not have gotten there on my own.

3 or 4 shaves with an Astra and just had my 2nd with a Nacet. Best 2 pass shave I've ever had. Better than all of those disappointing 3 pass shaves I used to get with the Merkur.

Honestly, as good of shave as I was getting with the R41 with none of the excitement.

Huge upgrade for me.

I've been using a Merkur 34C for about 10 years, but I dropped and broke it this weekend.
I have also owned a Muhle R41 for about 1/2 that time.

I liked the Merkur, but felt it might be a little mild for me, so I tried the R41 which was NOT too mild for me. Try as I might, I don't think it can become my daily driver. I do use it when I have a few days' growth. Between the 2, the Muhle is clearly much nicer fit and finish, but I kind of preferred the cruder knurling on the Merkur because it didn't get slippery, which the Muhle does. Not a big deal, but just giving you the info.

So, I need to replace the 34C, but I'd like something a step toward the Muhle in aggression. Something that I can manage on a daily shave. Maybe, adjustable, maybe not. I'll still have the R41 for mowing down a few day's growth.

I'm not a collector. Would rather not invest in a premium...no judgement, it's just not the kind of year I'm having. Just a nice, quality DE razor that I can use every day. I'm reading a bunch of posts, but also thought I would ask those of you who have tried more razors.

I use a Simpson's brush and usually Mitchell's Wool Fat, but I like to mix it up with my soaps now and again.

Thanks in advance,

EDIT: Thoughts on a Muhle R89? Would that give me a two razor set that covers daily vs recovery shave?

Why not buy a Vintage Gillete Adjustable like a Slim, as you get many setting in one Razor. Slim can be had on e-bay under 50 USD.

Different faces, different cases..
For me, I have about 60 DE's split between two dens. We will not even get into my SR's.
I have loved all the R41's for well over a decade. Makes a no fuss , great two pass shave totally enjoyable and super efficient. It the one for me that gets some of those elusive stubbles that so many others miss...
YMMV..
Just find what works best for you...and enjoy the hell out it..
Remember The Campaign..
No Stubble Left Behind..
BFX

Top Bottom