What's new

Between Merkur 34C and Muhle R41

I recommend the RazoRock Lupo 72 as a step up from the Merkur 34 and a step below the Muhle R41. My face can tolerate the Lupo 95 and Muhle R41 as daily drivers, but I understand many can’t. The Lupo 72 seems to be a sweet spot for many. I like my 72 as an easy, low-thought razor.

I don't have any of those right now, but I have used and enjoyed them before in a different razor.

Last 3 shaves were with a Dorco and today's was with a Personna. Today's was roughest, whether it was the blade or just the 4th day.

I've used R41 for a couple months. It's not a daily driver for me and I suspect for a lot of people. Every single shave is great with no weepers or cuts. Four-five shaves in a row and I feel like someone rubbed my face with sandpaper. It's just too close shaving.

Have you considered an adjustable ? The great thing about them is that you get a setting you like, stick with it, and if you at some point want to go more aggressive or milder, you can try it with just a quick turn of a dial.

Day 5 with the R41 went pretty well. A little blood, no real irritation, great shave. I kind of want to see how far I can go with it...

Muhle/Edwin Jagger x89 is too close to the Merkur 34C

Right between 34C-R41:
  • Muhle Rocca
  • Edwin Jagger 3one6
To me, Rocca is a little smoother, 3one6 a little more blade feel.

I second this. Both are great. They sit in the middle of the R89 and R41, way more efficient than the R89 but way less blade feel than an R41.

Reactions: ewk
Day 5 with the R41 went pretty well. A little blood, no real irritation, great shave. I kind of want to see how far I can go with it...

That's about how far I was able to go on consecutive days with the R41. I didn't get immediate bad irritation after the shave, but the cumulative effect was that parts of my face were red and sore all day. If just for a couple days in a row, or if I take a day off between shaves, I find that I get less irritation with the R41 than with the more mid-aggressive RR G37.

Day 6 went pretty well. I'm learning to use it better. I'm also realizing how quickly blades lose their sharp edge with this razor.

I still have a GC .76 in a cart waiting to check out, but I'm learning from the R41 and want to give it a few more days.

Great shaves, less face carnage, but I do feel highly exfoliated!

Last edited:
Hey, quick question, before I give my update - Is anyone a universal blood type? Asking for a friend.

IMG_20240219_112731669_HDR~3.jpg

I did not shave yesterday, bringing my days-in-a-row streak with the R41 to a close at 6. They were getting better and milder. With an extra day's growth, a bit of fresh arrogance, and someone on B&B suggesting that sharper blades are actually better with more aggressive razors, I loaded my R41 up with a fresh Feather, soaked my brush, took a hot shower and carefully went through my process. It felt like it was going pretty well, actually, I think I'm getting the hang of this...oh wait, now I remember why this isn't a daily driver.

I was doing better than this...much better, so I hate to blame the equipment. I have actually learned to love this razor, but I do think it belongs 2nd in rotation behind something effective, but mild. Just a bit more efficient than the Merkur 34C was my original posit...and I think however long I want to draw this out, that's where I'm going to end up.

Today might be the day. I assume it would take at least a week to arrive at my door, so I still have whatever time to commune with the Beast, which is not going anywhere. I was considering stepping up the aggression scale from the GC .76 that's been sitting in my cart for a week, but this might be a sign that I should not. Was kind of hoping for a President's Day sale at Italian Barber, but considering they are a Canadian company with an Italy theme, that appears to have been optimistic.

Last edited:
Paradigm Salient or Razor Rock Game Changer 0,76P - both are efficient salient smoother while the GC gives you the ability to go up or down.

I own both and like both.

IMG_4637.jpeg

IMG_4649.jpeg
IMG_4648.jpeg

I did a shave off of the two razors. I prefer the blade loading and clamping of the Salient and it is smoother but both are a great middle ground from the 34C to the R41.

I recommend a blade like the Gillette Yellow 7’oclock, Gillette Platinum, Personna Platinum, or Personna Comfort Coated in both razors.

Last edited:
Game Changer .76 ordered

Thank you to everyone who offered advice and encouragement.

I read through the thread and kept thinking to myself, "he's going to miss out...". Sometimes hesitation can cost you, but I'm glad you were able to pick one up. You gave the R41 a good go, but it's really not for everyone. Heck, I have a hard time shaving more than once every 3-5 days. My face just can't take too much before it's feeling raw and is covered with red razor burn.

Here's to hoping the .76P turns into a mindless daily driver for you.

Hey, quick question, before I give my update - Is anyone a universal blood type? Asking for a friend.

View attachment 1798926

I did not shave yesterday, bringing my days-in-a-row streak with the R41 to a close at 6. They were getting better and milder. With an extra day's growth, a bit of fresh arrogance, and someone on B&B suggesting that sharper blades are actually better with more aggressive razors, I loaded my R41 up with a fresh Feather, soaked my brush, took a hot shower and carefully went through my process. It felt like it was going pretty well, actually, I think I'm getting the hang of this...oh wait, now I remember why this isn't a daily driver.

I was doing better than this...much better, so I hate to blame the equipment. I have actually learned to love this razor, but I do think it belongs 2nd in rotation behind something effective, but mild. Just a bit more efficient than the Merkur 34C was my original posit...and I think however long I want to draw this out, that's where I'm going to end up.

Today might be the day. I assume it would take at least a week to arrive at my door, so I still have whatever time to commune with the Beast, which is not going anywhere. I was considering stepping up the aggression scale from the GC .76 that's been sitting in my cart for a week, but this might be a sign that I should not. Was kind of hoping for a President's Day sale at Italian Barber, but considering they are a Canadian company with an Italy theme, that appears to have been optimistic.
did you get into a fight w Freddy Krueger? Get a Fatboy or Slim.....you can dial it to your needs, and those vary depending how many days etc etc.
Or a Razorock Lupo DC...... and some alum for when you use that R41. BTW toss the blades after 2-3 uses.....

Thanks for the continued suggestions. For those of you who skimmed, I have purchased a RazoRock Game Changer .076. Should be in hand next Tuesday with an assortment (mine, not theirs) of fresh blades.

But, I'm working tonight, so I pulled the Feather out of the R41 and loaded a fresh Dorco. I got a good shave and didn't suffer major carnage, just a few little bloody spots. Definitely need an everyday razor, but I've learned to really like this Muhle after having it for...5 years? Maybe more?

It's kind of like having a pet ocelot.

I'll keep using it, just selectively and with less sharp blades until the next time I get overly confident.

Top Bottom