What's new

PIF Time.What's Your Best Musical Memory?

I'm in. Years ago in a small community called Hickory Tree local pickers and fiddlers would get together on Tuesday nights at the Hickory Tree Grocery and perform. Heard a lot of good bluegrass at these informal, unstructured sessions. "Fox On The Run" and "Uncle Pen" were among my favorites. It always drew a crowd, hippies and farmers and business men all divided on politics and haircuts but coming together for the music. Admission was free and seating was 'hood-of-the-car' or 'tailgate-of-the-truck'.

Great PIF I would like to be considered. My favorite musical memory, and there would be quite a few, would have to be trying to teach my dad to play guitar. My dad, who sadly passed on last October, loved music..he wrote songs, sang some as well. He couldn't play any instruments however, and I am able to play both guitar and piano. So he expressed interest in learning guitar one day, so for Christmas that year I bought him a little starter guitar and gave him some lessons myself. I can't say that it was particularly easy, but he eventually learned to play some chords. Dad never got proficient at playing, but it was probably more than I expected anyhow. I still have the guitar, as well as all the songs he wrote. Those will always be fun memories for me.
Aside from that another favorite musical memory was seeing Dave Matthews Band perform in Central Park. It was just a unique atmosphere for a concert, and a pretty fun time for all.

I'm in.
My favorite musical memory has to be me and my dad listening to old country songs in his truck on the way to a good deer stand.

I'm in
i want to win the MWF for the MIC as he has become obsessed with it and I want to win the veg for myself because he refuses to purchases it for me and this may be my only chance to get it.
My favorite music memory is walking through a Justin timberlake video and ruining it. They had to reshoot the scene lol

I'm in.

I have two favorite musical memories from when I was a little lad and both would recur every Christmas. One was a ceramic Christmas tree with lights. I believe it would go round and round and it had a wind up chime inside. This is the 70's so it's kind of fuzzy. My mother still has it but it's lost a good deal of the glass bulbs and is cracked. I would spend many minutes winding up the chimes and turning it on and watching it. The other is my dad putting on Ray Conniff and the Ray Conniff Singers "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" album every Christmas. I now have the record plus the CD and play it every Christmas for my son.

I'm in
i want to win the MWF for the MIC as he has become obsessed with it and I want to win the veg for myself because he refuses to purchases it for me and this may be my only chance to get it.
My favorite music memory is walking through a Justin timberlake video and ruining it. They had to reshoot the scene lol

Hmmm...hilarious, but more of an anti-musical memory....I'll have to confer with the official (my wife) and see if it's allowable....

EDIT: The ruling is in. You made my wife laugh, and therefore you're in! Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm in.

Favorite musical memory ever...hmmm... well, being a child of the 70's, I had parents that seperated when I was wayyy too young. My father would pick my up for "weekends" and being just a young guy he didn't always know what to do with a little shaver such as me. On weekend when I was in the neighborhood of 5 or so dad picked me up for the weekend and was having a party at his bachelor pad. Iremember picking out records to play but nobody was into a kid picking out the tunes... until... Led Zeppelin 2 was placed on the turntable and Whole Lotta Love started cranking out of the speakers. The entire trippy drum sequence had me stoked at a young age and I became "air drum". Dad's guests loved it, and here we are today with an fond memory.

Thanks for the PIF.. I'm in so here it is. True story. So back in 1989 there was a band that was getting to get a lot of popularity. It’s a Mexican band so some of the Hispanics out there may know whom im talking about. The band is Fito Olivares, one of the best cumbia bands of the late 80's early till the early 2000nds. Well I agreed to a double date just so I could see the band for free. They were one of my favorite bands.

Well I walk in to the club and see my buddy, his wife and my date. Just as I get closer to them, next to my date is an Angel. So as my vision focused on here a bright light shines from behind her and everything else got so dark, making her the only thing I could see. My heart started to beat faster and my mouth to shake a little. Now let me tell you, I was a ladies man with no problem what so ever approaching a female. But she was just too beautiful and perfect. To be honest I don’t remember if I said hi to anyone but her. We danced all night and talked when we wasn’t dancing. At the end of the night she left with my buddy and didn’t see her again for about a year. But I couldn’t even sleep that night couse she kept flashing in and out of my dreams. Later I seen her and it was on then.

Yes I didn’t waste any time and got all the info I needed to keep her in my life, and yes we are married now. 24 years and thanks to Fito Olivares and my smooth moves, she couldn’t stop thinking of me either.

I'm in. I proposed to my wife on vacation in New Orleans. Later that night we went to The Blue Nile on Frenchman Street and saw The Hot 8 Brass Band play. We had never heard of them before but it sounded amazing from outside on the sidewalk so we paid the cover to get in. It was an incredible show and we danced all night. When we look back on our trip it is always the 2nd best memory we have. The best memory being getting engaged of course.

Not in, due to Conus rule. But I'll tell you my favorite music memory anyway. It was Ozzfest 99. I was movie to Vancouver, and I was just getting into broadcast distance(around Chilliwack) and tuned into 99.3 The Fox(Local Rock station) and they were just announcing that the show was coming to town. Now I've been a Black Sabbath fan my entire life, and 99 was the year that the original lineup first reformed, so there was no way I was missing that show. and may, it's a festival so tuns of other bands to see as well. Turned out to be the best concert I'd ever seen to that point and still to this day.

The lineup was epic! Fear Factory, Slipknot, Godsmack, System of a Down, Primus, Slayer, Rob Zombie, and to finish off a completely amazing day, The original four gods of metal take the stage and completely obliterate it. Black Sabbath was amazing. It's funny how Ozzy can't talk at all but when he sings you can here every word.

When I was learning to play the piano I heard Moonlight Sonata and fell in love. I played it so much that even 16 years after not playing I can still play a lot of that sonata. I'm in!

A chance to try the Veg, I am sooo in. My favorite music memory was when I was stationed in Korea. A group from my shop went to go to see a Korean orchestra accompanied by opera singers that were performing on base for free. It ended up being the greatest show I have ever seen live. They had dancers that played huge drums all around the stage. They had performers that walked around the audience dancing. It was a show fit for Vegas not your stereotypical opera. My favorite part was the opening. I still remember the opening song being the Typewriter song by Leroy Anderson. Everybody I was with trying to figure out what was going on with they guy just sitting there at a typewriter. Once it started we all thought it was incredible. The entire group I went with were expecting a boring show and it was amazing. I now listen to Leroy Anderson with my children all the time thanks to this great show that I almost didn't even go to.

I am in. My favorite music memory has to listening to any music with my brother and dad. I come from a strong musical family so its pretty special just hanging out and listening to music-mostly classic rock.Thanks!

I'm in. It was 1996 in Nashville. White zombie opened for pantera. Still have not been to a better show and I have been to my share of concerts.

I dropped out of music school for a year in 1972. I was 19 at the time and, as a member of the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus, I sang the Verdi Requiem with The Cleveland Orchestra (conducted by the late Lorin Maazel) at Carnegie Hall. It was an amazing performance by an amazing orchestra of an amazing piece of music directed by an amazing conductor!

Ok. I'm in.

When I was about 12 years old I entered a talent contest in the county seat. I played "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" on my trumpet.

During the performance - despite my multiple practices - I missed a note about 4 bars in. I stopped, calmly said "Wait a minute folks" started over, and played the piece through correctly.

I learned that stage presence is more important than flawless execution. I got the red ribbon for a botched performance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom