What's new

PIF Time.What's Your Best Musical Memory?

One of my favorite memories was in FT Worrh Texas at a bar called The Pub. Across the street from TCU campus it was truly a dive. I was there for girls and an unknown to me blues singer named Robert Ealey was about to seriously change how I viewed music. He walks up to the mic visibly stumbling and extremely frail looking. He had to be all of 75 at the time. I don't expect much but when he started to sing it was as if 35 years vanished and he was good. I mean really good. His guitar player was a fellow named Tony that could play with the best and hold his own. He would always close the show with Hendricks version of the Star-Spangled Banner. I never saw another player with that kind of raw talent in my life. Between the 2 of them I was just in awe.

I'm in!

I'm in...
Loved seeing the Scorpions in Seattle at the Monsters of Rock in the '80s
Great show, especially from the hard fought front row.

Count me in, too.

My favorite musical moment - or at least, one of them - was when I saw Penetration at the Old Waldorf in San Francisco, with The Avengers supporting. Apparently, I'm not the only person who felt that way.

Picking a favorite piece of music is hard for me; there are so many. But my favorite thing to do musically is to play and sing Gospel music. I'm in.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid, my dad had Dave Brubeck's Time Out on vinyl. When the time came, it was the first jazz CD (if not the first CD) I ever bought. I listened to it a lot along with all the other different things I listened to when I was younger. (Chicago, Led Zeppelin, Foghat and all the rest) Then one year, ten years or so ago - Dave was about 80 or 81 at the time, he came to the Jazz at the Hilton/Sheraton series here in Salt Lake in mid April. It was within a few days of my dad's birthday. (April 22) So I took him with me as my birthday gift to him that year. Dave came to town two years in a row, and I got to see him both times. But sharing Dave's Take Five, and the all the rest with my dad for his birthday was really something special and I look back on it fondly.

You may count me in.

Not in, I have a puck in the ceramic dish @ 80%, not going to rob someone from having the pleasure of trying the Fat for the first time. But, I do have a couple of fond musical memories I can share. First, back in 1982 when I was a tenth grader in high school Night Ranger took a night off from their gig in San Antonio and came west to my small border town of Del Rio. That was my first real real concert. They preceded to blow ear drums out in the small maybe made for 500 people civic center. My ears rang loudly for three days afterwards. I loved it :)

Secondly, in 83, I was now an eleventh grader and the urban cowboy craze was going strong and, this being Texas I had an invite to see an up and coming new on the scene c/w star in a neighboring town called Uvalde, about seventy miles away. In what was the most red neck dance hall you could imagine called the Purple Sage. His first album had just been released and his popularity was growing. Especially with the young ladies. Keep in mind I live in a Tx/Mex border town and the across the border party scene in the eighties got pretty wild at times. I will admit even though I liked the guys music I went mainly to dance and see the women in the tight Wrangler jeans. Man I still remember those jeans :) Anyhoo, when all my friends talk about all of the bands they've seen I tell them about the night I saw George Strait before he was famous, in a small Texas town. There was alot more that went on that night, before we went, at the concert, and the after party but for the sake of keeping it civil the details shall remain clouded ;)

Chris

Very generous PIF.

My favorite musical memory is when I got to cowrite and perform a worship song at my church a few years back. It was one of those device inspiration type moments that lead to a beautiful song.

My favorite musical memory would be seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton and Robert Cray in the same concert at Alpine Valley. Unfortunately it was the night before Stevie Ray Vaughn died.

My favorite musical composition is Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel. I first heard the song when I was young and something about the song just made me fall in love with it. I have probably 6 or 7 variations of the song and am learning to play it on the piano and a violin. It is a great classical piece and hopefully I can convince the special lady to let me play it at our wedding.

and I'm in! Great PIF!

I'd love to be in, and I hope that my memory will meet the requirements as it's not a specific piece or event. When I was 5 or so (I'm 34 now), my grandma used to have an accordion that I would beg her to play for me on a regular basis. She always did and I loved it. She used to play for me for what seemed like hours at a time. As I grew older, I realized the truth: while she knew how to play the accordion, she wasn't very good. We've had conversations about those times when I was an adult. She told me that she loved it because I was too young to know any better. It sounded great to me. To this day, I can not hear an accordion without thinking about her. It's definitely a memory and musical sound that will stick with me forever.

I'm In!

Abraham, Martin, and John by Dion... Dick Holler wrote the song and offered it to Dion. Dick Holler also wrote "Snoopy and the Red Baron".

This song started my awareness of life outside my Jr. High sphere. It opened my eyes to politics, current cultural issues, and the observation of how and why people think the way they do.

Great PIF idea! Thanks!

I'm in!

THanks for the great PIF. I have had MWF on the top of my list for a while now.

As for my Bes musical Memory.

It was the first concert I ever went to. I was probably 10yo or so. I went with my father to see my then favorite band, Huey Lewis and the News play. I remember at one point not being able to see so he had me jump up and sit on his shoulders. I remember the feeling once I could actually see. It was like the clouds parting to a beautiful sun. I was in complete sensory overload i was mesmerized. The music, the crowd, the energy and the lights were incredible. One of my favorite memories of time with my dad.

My favorite music memory was Pearl Jam at the 9:30 club in DC in the mid 1990's. I went with my high school sweetheart.

I'm in and thank you.

Very generous PIF, I'm in.

My favorite memory is from about 7 or 8 years ago. I was living in Orlando at the time, and a very good friend and I drove to Atlanta to see the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra perform a show called Dear Friends. It was a program that consisted of favorite songs from various Final Fantasy games. Some were easy transitions, as the newer games already had what was, more or less, orchestral songs. The older games, however, required more work to move from midi tracks to a full arrangement. I was a fantastic time, and something I will remember for the rest of my life.

I'm in. My favorite memory is my father dancing with my sister to the Beatle' s "I Will." Wasn't a fan of the Beatles at all until I heard that about a month ago. I've had a lot of memories, songs that remind me of ex-girlfriends and other associated acts, but, that song works for me the most because it registers a deep gratitude and appreciation for the inevitabilities of life, some of which are quite wonderful. It's okay to get lost, it may be supposed to happen along the way because that's part of the journey.

That's the memory.

I'm not entering for the PIF, but my favourite musical memory is from a sunny day in the summer of 1969. I was three years old, and my mother (known as "Mommy" at the time) taught me the words to the Witch Doctor song (ooo eee ooo ahh ahh, ting tang wadda wadda bing bang.....). It's one of my earliest memories, and one of many moments when my mother instilled her love of music in me.

About your fat PIF, bravo. You'll be making somebody happy. The stuff rocks! 'nuff said.

Top Bottom