What's new

Personna Israeli Reds (Red Packaging)

I meant that Personna platinum will put any Gillette made blade into the shame.
i didn’t say best among Gillette blades, did I.
I am not quite sure what you meant here.

Personna Israeli reds (in either the red or blue packaging) are made by Personna which is a division of Edgewell Personal Care. They are competitors of Gillette, which is a division of Proctor and Gamble.

I meant that Personna platinum will put any Gillette made blade into the shame.
i didn’t say best among Gillette blades, did I.
[/QUOTE

The way your statement was worded the first time, I was not quite sure what you meant. Now I know exactly what you intended. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

When it comes to being both sharp and smooth, the Personna platinum is one of the best available. I certainly hope Edgewell will continue production of those blades with similar quality.

3. It appears that the Edgewell/Personna factory in Israel has been closed as first announced in 2018.
Actually, no. That seems to be misinformation that has been repeated as fact until people have come to accept it as true. Read this thread for details: Israeli made blades - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/israeli-made-blades.584054/

The latest evidence is that the plant has not been closed as of yet, and Edgewell may have changed their intention to do so.

I'm also a fan. The Israeli Reds in the red packaging are wonderful. The Israeli "Reds" in the blue plastic containers are also wonderful - they are the same blade, packaged for sale in the U.K.

Had an odd experience. Had bad shaves with the blue UK version, put in a Red Israeli and it was great. Very odd that same blades on different packaging performed so differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an odd experience. Had bad shaves with the blue UK version, put in a Red Israeli and it was great. Very odd that same blades on different packaging performed so differently.

I've heard that there can be discrepancies between blades, depending on when the factories re-tool. I have also experienced differences in blades within brands.

They are different, 5 pack is a much better shave then the 10 plastic tuck!

I just tried these today in a Merkur 34 HD. I’m a newbie and was using Astra SP blades prior and getting a great shave. Maybe I wasn’t careful enough with a new blade and wasn’t focused as much as I should have been. I got some weepers, irritation and razor burn - one of my most uncomfortable shaves since I started several weeks ago.

Being a newbie I’m assuming my technique is for the birds, but I went back to the Astra SPs.

I’m on the second blade of a tuck of blue label reds. They are extremely sharp blades. But they gave me excellent BBS in my Blackbird OC. Can’t feel growth for at least seven hours. As I said very sharp. Use lightest pressure. They are on my list to rebuy

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I find Personna blades some of the best the world have to offer, if you think the Reds are good the Gem Personna SS PTFE blade is just as sharp as a Feather, a little rough for first couple of shaves(I use a milder Gem razor for the first couple of shave to take advantage of its sharpest edge) because it is so sharp but will out last most blades hands down. I get easily 10 shaves with a Gem or about $.02-$.03 cents a shave just like any DE blade for cost effectiveness. Personna and Gillette both have been manufacturing razor blades for well over 100 years so that tells me that they know what there doing to satisfy their customers. Remember Personna 74's that almost broke Gillette and other blade MFG's world wide. Gillette had come out with the "spoiler" blade in the early 1970's> & so CEO of Personna had to counter that blade with the Personna 74 blade. You will never see another marketing error like that again when you make a blade out of Tungsten powder added to surgical stainless steel ever again because blades lasts to long.
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Well wouldn't you know. As I noted up thread I purchased a plastic tuck of these from a well known international seller. I went back to order more and they're gone. Replaced by Personna Platinum made in Germany. So, I found Red labeled blades elsewhere and ordered 100.

Well wouldn't you know. As I noted up thread I purchased a plastic tuck of these from a well known international seller. I went back to order more and they're gone. Replaced by Personna Platinum made in Germany. So, I found Red labeled blades elsewhere and ordered 100.

I got some of the "made in Germany" blades sold at my local Meijer store sold as a Meijer brand. I cannot really tell any difference between them and the Personna Platinum Israeli Reds. That is a great thing as I feared they might not be as good. I compared the blades side by side during multiple shaves using a EJ DE 89 and a Muhle R89 whose heads are identical, so I am confident in the similarity of the two blades.

I haven't been on B&B very much recently, but I did notice that my local Wegmans has seemingly stopped selling the store brand Personna altogether. They were selling at $2.49 for 10.

I also had a chance to visit a Meijer last week and noticed the change to German production, so I had to pick up a pack. At $3.99 for a pack of 10, I certainly hope the quality has not changed.

I haven't been on B&B very much recently, but I did notice that my local Wegmans has seemingly stopped selling the store brand Personna altogether. They were selling at $2.49 for 10.

I also had a chance to visit a Meijer last week and noticed the change to German production, so I had to pick up a pack. At $3.99 for a pack of 10, I certainly hope the quality has not changed.

I just looked for Personna Israeli blades on Amazon. At the present time, stocks are rather low. I have no idea whether these stocks will be replenished. The last shipment of blades from the Israeli Plant to the USA was in early March. Information on the status of the plant is Nazareth is woefully lacking.

BigJ, are the Reds the same as the ones in the white 5 blade plastic dispenser? Or are they lab blues?

Start by trying to determine where the blades were manufactured. The ‘reds’ were made in Israel, now made in Germany. The ‘lab blues’ are US made.

Packaging is highly variable as they package the same blades variously for different markets plus they change packages. All this is very confusing!! :mad2:

BigJ, are the Reds the same as the ones in the white 5 blade plastic dispenser? Or are they lab blues?

BigJ is correct.

Personna Platinum blades are manufactured for many private brand outlets (Boots/Walgreens, CVC, Meijer, Walmart, etc. ) and are sold in the plastic dispenser for those markets. Some are 5 blade packages. Some are 10 blade. They will say Platinum blades, but you will not find Personna listed on the packaging since they are sold as private brands. The Platinum blades were originally made in Israel and known as Israeli Reds. They now are made in Germany. They are excellent blades.

You can also find Personna Comfort Coated blades sold in the plastic dispensers. These are the blades known as Lab Blues. The Comfort Coated blades will be stamped Made in USA and are made my AccuTec Blades in Verona, VA.

My Reds were from the 99¢ Store. Made in Israel & packaged into dispensers in Mexico, maybe it's all the handling and travel, but they're just another drugstore blade. The Personna Platinums are better and the Lab Blues are the best.

I was at my local Walgreens and the store brand blades say made in Israel. $5.79 for 10 blades.

Attachments

• IMG-0900.JPG
    IMG-0900.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG-0903.JPG
    IMG-0903.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
I was at my local Walgreens and the store brand blades say made in Israel. $5.79 for 10 blades.

The Personna factory in Israel made a number of different blades. The ones called Israeli Reds were Personna Platinum Chrome blades. Do the blades say "Platinum" anywhere on the blades of packaging. If not, they may be what was often called Israeli Personnas.

The copyright notice on the back of the Walgreen's packaging is dated 2017. That could mean either: the blades are from an old batch made in 2017 or these are newer blades packaged in old packaging.

If the blades are stamped with a patent number, they may be Crystal blades.

Try the blades and see how they perform.

Top Bottom