What's new

Performance of WOLFMAN WR2

I am considering purchasing wolfman wr2

I've read a lot of threads about it, but I'm not quite sure what to expect.
The one thing they all have in common is that they are very smooth and lack feedback unless the gap is large.

Would a similar efficiency gap to my reference razor, the blackbird, be around 1.25 or 1.35?
Some say even 0.95 is efficient enough and ultra smooth!

Currently I can shave daily with stando chors (1.30 gap), and I can shave daily with a slightly smoother blackbird with no problem (of course I understand that gap is not everything).

Ideally, I would like to have a smoother wr2 with the same or slightly lower efficiency than these two.
Is this a difficult request?

Please let me know your opinions.
Thank you.

My only razor is a Ti Blackbird but I have thought about getting a Wolfman, (1.25), on a few occasions and done the research and personally feel if you want something just slightly lower efficiency you would be looking to a 1.15 gap but keep in mind that you can also get an off gap such as a 1.10 or 1.20 from James and I don't think there is any extra charge for such from what I've read.

There are probably lots of guys here that run a Blackbird of some kind and a WR2. I have a brassbird but my WR2 is a 1.65 and I own them each for their differences, not their similarities. @PRobots I think has a Ti'bird and a 1.35 WR2 and might be able to comment on how the gaps compare.

I only have experience with the Titanium versions of the Blackbird and Wolfman WR2 so take my advice with a grain of salt.. errr titanium.

If getting SS I would have gotten a 1.25 gap to be comparable to what I assume would be about the same efficiency as a SS Blackbird.

My Ti WR2 1.35 is slightly more efficient than my Ti Blackbird. With a similar amount of blade feel but just as comfortable for me.

Ideally, I would like to have a smoother wr2 with the same or slightly lower efficiency than these two.
If you want lower efficiency I’d start down from 1.25 to maybe like 1.15 that would be efficient but likely smoother with less blade feel than the Blackbird.

Not sure if that helps.

I've had several Wolfman razors, one WR1 & 2 WR2's. I sold the WR1 & still have both of my WR2's (WR2 1.25 & 1.35m both SS & are SB). For smoothness I prefer my Timeless Ti .95. For smoothness & efficiency, I prefer my Blackbird Ti SB. I rank my Wolfman's as the 3rd or 4th best razor in my den. IMHO, there are several razors other than Wolfman that I prefer more.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Never tried a Wolfman, but boy! The Timeless titanium and the bronze are both so much alike and so different at the same time.... If they weren't gifted me I don't think I could have done a better job at choosing one!

I think I would just adapt to the razor no matter the gap/exposure.....?

@Leverspro
1.65…….wow.It must be a beast.

@PRobots
Thanks for the input, yes, it is fun to look into, and confusing.

@dmshaver
I envy you for using so many wolfman, have you ever used the WR2 with the small gap? Have you ever used WR2 with a small gap (0.95 etc.)?

@FarmerTan
I've decided I'll only carry three razors, and if my wife stares at me with her devil's eyes, I'll probably do just fine with the three I have.

@ojisanbeer I have used an SS Wolfman 1.25 which was my favorite DE razor for a long time and I currently have a Wolfman Ti 1.15 and Ti Blackbird. The Wolfman Ti 1.15 has less blade feel than the Blackbird, but for me similar efficiency. Both razors are super comfortable, but I believe I prefer the Wolfman Ti 1.15 slightly more on my chin and neck area. You cannot go wrong with a Blackbird or any Wolfman, both exceptional razors.

I've had several Wolfman razors, one WR1 & 2 WR2's. I sold the WR1 & still have both of my WR2's (WR2 1.25 & 1.35m both SS & are SB). For smoothness I prefer my Timeless Ti .95. For smoothness & efficiency, I prefer my Blackbird Ti SB. I rank my Wolfman's as the 3rd or 4th best razor in my den. IMHO, there are several razors other than Wolfman that I prefer more.

After picking up a Blackbird Ti my desire to try any other razors is essentially gone; the WR2 being the only premium option I would purchase to do so. I've seen several comments similar to yours; at this point I struggle to find the value in spending $300-500+ for a razor which may not even be my #1.

@ojisanbeer I have used an SS Wolfman 1.25 which was my favorite DE razor for a long time and I currently have a Wolfman Ti 1.15 and Ti Blackbird. The Wolfman Ti 1.15 has less blade feel than the Blackbird, but for me similar efficiency. Both razors are super comfortable, but I believe I prefer the Wolfman Ti 1.15 slightly more on my chin and neck area. You cannot go wrong with a Blackbird or any Wolfman, both exceptional razors.
thanks very much
I would buy a DC plate with a slightly lower efficiency, 0.95SB/OC or 1.05/SB/OC which is less efficient than Blackbird but smoother.....

@SharpieB , @Leverspro and anyone else using a higher gap Wolfman for their daily shaves…do you find you only need one pass to achieve BBS?? I can’t imagine needing or using a higher gap Wolfman daily. If I really wanted I could shave using the 1.15 daily with one pass, but I find for me the 1.15 works best on a 2 day shave…magic!!

@ojisanbeer I find the 1.15 is slightly smoother than the Blackbird, but honestly neither is better than the other, Wolfman and Blackbird are just different, not better both being exceptional razors.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have long maintained that the SS WR2 1.25 SB and SS Blackbird SB have similar efficiency, with the Bird simply possessing more blade feel. Both are extraordinary daily shavers. Choosing a winner between them is analogous to choosing between Mary Ann and Ginger. Either one would be great with which to be stranded on an island.

If what is being sought is the least amount of blade feel while maintaining efficiency, I would suggest the Timeless Ti over any Wolfman. If .95 SB is too efficient then the .68 SB would be an extremely smooth, yet still quite efficient shave. It has been said by several members that the Wolfman smoothes out in the higher blade gaps (1.45 & higher), not in the lesser blade gaps (1.25 & lower). Not trying to debate with anyone, just expressing my opinion & what I've read. I've been saying this for a while but haven't acted yet, but I may try trading one of my WR2's for a higher gap 1.55 or 1.65 to see if it is smoother. Wolfman razors are an excellent razor, no doubt about it. But they are not the smoothest, nor most efficient for me.

There are so many excellent razors being made these days, we are in one of the golden ages of wet shaving. So whatever you decide to purchase, Wolfman, Timeless, Blackland, H&S, or any other of a myriad of choices, you will be able to get a wonderful shave. So don't stress too much about what you get, it will probably just be the first of several that you'll try before you settle on some that work well for you. This is a journey, whether in soaps & brushes, or in razors, so enjoy the journey!

Top Bottom