What's new

Used Wolfmans: gap verification?

so, I had this thought over the weekend:
Wolfman *does not* stamp the gap size on their plates.

If you buy one used, how do we insure your are actually getting the gap as stated in the sale?

A mis-advertised gap could be in play for any number of reasons, some innocent and some not so much:
The Seller mis-remembers what gap it is
(we all don't necessarily keep great records, and this could easily be an honest mistake)

The Seller lists the sale as a "more desirable" gap
(due to "forum hype" , there are certain gaps that receive more praise than others)

either way, as a Buyer, especially as a Buyer with not much Wolfman familiarity,
you could easily be shaving with a WR2 .95 that was advertised as a 1.20 (or visa vesa)
and who would be the wiser?

And, to compound the effect, then the Buyer jumps on the Forum and states, (as in the first case above),
1.20 is so tame and mild, by all means everyone should go for at least a 1.35!

See my point?

And this all comes back to: for a *premium* razor maker, with so many (official and unofficial) gap sizes, why *not* stamp the gap size into the plate?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
If you buy one used, how do we insure your are actually getting the gap as stated in the sale?
You will have to trust the seller. You can check with a digital caliper, but if the seller insists "nope, it's gap X and not Y", there is little one can do. If a sales platform is involved like eBay, you could use Paypal to get back your money in case of problems. For a private sale that's not possible and I never used middle man arrangements to secure delivery and payment for such things.

I've never considered a Wolfman but it's really surprising to learn that the baseplates aren't marked with the gap. How do people with multiple base plates that look identical keep them separate? Seems like an unnecessary headache.

Can anyone think of another razor maker that offers multiple gaps but doesn't do anything to differentiate one from another? Timeless, Henson, Blackland, Karve, Tatara, and Charcoal Goods all do or did.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Can anyone think of another razor maker that offers multiple gaps but doesn't do anything to differentiate one from another?
I think @muzichead answered that already, one can have it engraved for free on the baseplate or not, for visual or whatever reasons. The problem is if the plate has not been marked and one buys it from another person that might not tell the truth about the gap.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have always found it odd that James doesn't have stamps for all the gaps he uses. The engraving isn't something that appeals to me. I'm glad I only have one WR2 and soon, one WR4. I do have the gaps recorded in a few places so when I'm gone, our sons will know them if they decide to sell them.

I remember James once recommending not changing top caps with the base plate. In other words, keep the head together.

That is much different than a modular approach of swapping base plates only.

Not sure if this is still the case, but I no longer have a Wolfie in the den.

I think @muzichead answered that already, one can have it engraved for free on the baseplate or not, for visual or whatever reasons. The problem is if the plate has not been marked and one buys it from another person that might not tell the truth about the gap.

I don't think he answered my question, which is: Are there any other razor makers who offer multiple base plates and do not identify the specific blade gap in some way (or, to be more specific, who offer the option of having the baseplate be unmarked)?

As far as I'm concerned, every base plate should be marked regardless of whether the purchaser wants it marked or not. It should be non-negotiable. Imho.

why *not* stamp the gap size into the plate?

James is a very much into visual aesthetics and those numerical engravings look very ugly.
The way I keep my Wolfman gaps easy to remember is by pairing different gaps with distinct handles.
Having different finishes for different gaps can also be a strategy.

I don't think James can be pressured into doing anything he does not want to. Hahaha.

James is a very much into visual aesthetics and those numerical engravings look very ugly.

I'm kind of the opposite and very much a function over form kind of person. To me, the utility of having the blade gap listed on the baseplate greatly outweighs any negative aesthetic aspect. Particularly if it's done in a place that can only be seen when the razor is disassembled.

I don't think James can be pressured into doing anything he does not want to. Hahaha.

He's certainly free to make razors however he wants. It just surprises me and seems to make things more complicated and vague than they need to be. Just my humble opinion though. We all have different tastes. 🍻

Last edited:
One would need to use a feeler gauge to
determine the blade gap. I agree with the consensus that the gap should be engraved. Of course I would have opted for it if I had known that their was an engraving option when I bought it. Only option I can think of now is getting someone that's good at engraving.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
That make sense for me, look how different people find same gap on WR2... :a14:
Yeah, the gap number means little if the geometry is different to a commonly assumed general angle and head design.
The WR2 type of head allows one to dial up the gap extremely high without changing the overall shaving experience too much. Not sure if its is true, but read reports about 1.8 and 2.0 gaps...^^

Its actually rather simple if you think about it... If you want a WR1, WR2, or Guerilla you can ask James to engrave the gap on the base plate if you so want it. It costs absolutely nothing!! Some people like the engravings and some don't, James is in that camp!! One should feel greatful he doesn't engrave the top cap like some do or give you only 1 handle choice like most and god forbid it not only have an ugly handle but also charge you to take an ugly useless box to take up space in a drawer or a closet!!

I can only think of 1 time in recent past where there was a razor sold in the BST and the original owner said it was I think a 1.25 and it wound up being a 1.35 and all it took was a feeler gage to check it, but I believe in that instance he actually sent the razor to James just to verify and it was a 1.35 gap. After it was done and over the guy had it engraved and moved on.

What it all boils down to is James is the designer and Mfg'r and he sells a product as he sees fit the same as dozens of Mfg's out there and if that doesn't suit someone then ask if it can be changed, if it can it can, if not then you have to make a decision if you really want that item or not... I don't think he cares one way or the other whether someone likes a certain part of the design because it always seems there's someone else out there that wants it regardless of what is on it!! Its a Wolfman!! Without a doubt the most sought after razor made to date...

FWIW, I dislike the font James uses for the gap engravings, so I have never opted for this. The base plate looks better to me as originally designed. But I don’t tend to sell razors and I know which of my Wolfmans is which, by speccing different handles, metals or finishes for each one.

If James were to standardize the gap markings then I’d hope he could redesign them so they don’t detract from the appearance. Then again, I’m not sure he is very motivated to facilitate the secondary market.

Its a Wolfman!! Without a doubt the most sought after razor made to date...
Lol, I've got zero doubt that's incorrect.
To name a few, Darwin, Serial Toggle (hell, a regular toggle), Double ring, Apollo Mikron...

I was unaware James would still engrave the baseplate with the gap on request. My WR2 is engraved .74, always thought it was a good way of knowing James actually made it since he doesn't do it any longer...

Then again, I’m not sure he is very motivated to facilitate the secondary market.

that's essentially it: the Maker doesn't really concern himself too much with the "secondary market", and why should he?
I posed the question because, the plausible situation of many forum members shaving with a plate that they *think* is something else,
and how those reviews/opinions posted here could erroneously influence Buyers...

Also, it sounds like the Maker really does fabricate these "to order", and doesn't bang-out 100 WR2 plates to keep in-stock proactively... so not much opportunity for supplying the wrong plate to an Order.

Seems like stamping/engraving the surface of the base plate that is covered by blade/cap would not harm appearances, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom