What's new

Performance of WOLFMAN WR2

I am also a big fan of Wolfman and think the WR2 is a winner. I have a WR2 SB in SS with a 1.25 gap. Since I’ve acquired my two Wolfman razors (I also have a WR1), my desire to try other razors is pretty low (it’s not completely extinguished). My WR2 is an excellent razor for smoothness and efficiency.

I have tried a few Timeless razors, and they weren’t for me, although I know they have their fans. I imagine I’ll eventually try the Blackbird, which I suspect that I would like given the descriptions I’ve read.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
If what is being sought is the least amount of blade feel while maintaining efficiency, I would suggest the Timeless Ti over any Wolfman. If .95 SB is too efficient then the .68 SB would be an extremely smooth, yet still quite efficient shave. It has been said by several members that the Wolfman smoothes out in the higher blade gaps (1.45 & higher), not in the lesser blade gaps (1.25 & lower). Not trying to debate with anyone, just expressing my opinion & what I've read. I've been saying this for a while but haven't acted yet, but I may try trading one of my WR2's for a higher gap 1.55 or 1.65 to see if it is smoother. Wolfman razors are an excellent razor, no doubt about it. But they are not the smoothest, nor most efficient for me.

There are so many excellent razors being made these days, we are in one of the golden ages of wet shaving. So whatever you decide to purchase, Wolfman, Timeless, Blackland, H&S, or any other of a myriad of choices, you will be able to get a wonderful shave. So don't stress too much about what you get, it will probably just be the first of several that you'll try before you settle on some that work well for you. This is a journey, whether in soaps & brushes, or in razors, so enjoy the journey!
David, one significant correction to your post: the WR1 gaps get smoother as the gaps increase; but I’ve not seen anyone suggest that the WR2 smoothness increases with higher gaps. High gap WR2’s are still smooth (in relative terms), but lower gaps definitely reduce blade feel in the WR2.

@SharpieB , @Leverspro and anyone else using a higher gap Wolfman for their daily shaves…do you find you only need one pass to achieve BBS?? I can’t imagine needing or using a higher gap Wolfman daily. If I really wanted I could shave using the 1.15 daily with one pass, but I find for me the 1.15 works best on a 2 day shave…magic!!

@ojisanbeer I find the 1.15 is slightly smoother than the Blackbird, but honestly neither is better than the other, Wolfman and Blackbird are just different, not better both being exceptional razors.
Still two passes for me.

David, one significant correction to your post: the WR1 gaps get smoother as the gaps increase; but I’ve not seen anyone suggest that the WR2 smoothness increases with higher gaps. High gap WR2’s are still smooth (in relative terms), but lower gaps definitely reduce blade feel in the WR2.
Dan, you're quite right. The WR2 is smoother in higher gaps, but from what I've read has quite a bit of blade feel. Thank you for pointing that out, my friend!

@Latherati
I have a separate razor that does 2pass shaving with feather.
I'm not looking for too big a gap, but 1.15 or 1.05 might be a good choice, thanks!

@Hannah's Dad
My preference would probably be in the 1.25 range as well, thanks.

@CJB3
I see that 1.25 has the most supporters.
I will be leaving the blackland nest if I get WR2 (although BB and vector are great).

If what is being sought is the least amount of blade feel while maintaining efficiency, I would suggest the Timeless Ti over any Wolfman. If .95 SB is too efficient then the .68 SB would be an extremely smooth, yet still quite efficient shave. It has been said by several members that the Wolfman smoothes out in the higher blade gaps (1.45 & higher), not in the lesser blade gaps (1.25 & lower). Not trying to debate with anyone, just expressing my opinion & what I've read. I've been saying this for a while but haven't acted yet, but I may try trading one of my WR2's for a higher gap 1.55 or 1.65 to see if it is smoother. Wolfman razors are an excellent razor, no doubt about it. But they are not the smoothest, nor most efficient for me.

There are so many excellent razors being made these days, we are in one of the golden ages of wet shaving. So whatever you decide to purchase, Wolfman, Timeless, Blackland, H&S, or any other of a myriad of choices, you will be able to get a wonderful shave. So don't stress too much about what you get, it will probably just be the first of several that you'll try before you settle on some that work well for you. This is a journey, whether in soaps & brushes, or in razors, so enjoy the journey!
Thank you for your honest input.
Last night (it's morning here in Japan)
I was reading various threads (including non-b&b ones) until I fell asleep at my desk, lightly accompanied by my wife's drinking.

My wife woke me up and said, "I'll give it to you as a gift? if it doesn't suit you, why don't you just buy another head addition?” (I'm afraid of the payback.)

That's exactly what she said! Just grab any of the gaps...

The journey continues, so I'll choose to meet and part with a little more knowledge.

Yes, please tell me one thing.
I am going to choose the Darwin handle.
Will this handle stay straight (as in this picture) without protective washers? Or will the corner of the handle be centered (another image)?
I believe it's an individual difference.

Sorry for the nervousness of the question, but it's very Japanese, isn't it?hehe
9A5A6986-9240-4D92-8F5E-D5DAE1336AB5.jpeg
A51E0919-0396-4EB9-BD69-07ED0C994AFB.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I think I would just adapt to the razor no matter the gap/exposure.....?

My experience has been that there's a lot of truth to that. When I first started shaving with my Wolfman WR1 .74, I thought that it was too aggressive and I was very disappointed...sorry I had purchased it. But, I figured, you bought it... keep at it! And slowly but surely I adjusted to it. Now it's my favorite razor.

hmm
I was going to buy WR2 from a friend, but the deal was broken and I decided to join the waiting list.

I also got a brassbird.
SS blackbird(SB/OC) and SS vector(SB/OC)
I will try to find someone who is willing to trade me both of them.

Thanks.

I've had several Wolfman razors, one WR1 & 2 WR2's. I sold the WR1 & still have both of my WR2's (WR2 1.25 & 1.35m both SS & are SB). For smoothness I prefer my Timeless Ti .95. For smoothness & efficiency, I prefer my Blackbird Ti SB. I rank my Wolfman's as the 3rd or 4th best razor in my den. IMHO, there are several razors other than Wolfman that I prefer more.
Spot on!

I have long maintained that the SS WR2 1.25 SB and SS Blackbird SB have similar efficiency, with the Bird simply possessing more blade feel. Both are extraordinary daily shavers. Choosing a winner between them is analogous to choosing between Mary Ann and Ginger. Either one would be great with which to be stranded on an island.
You’re showing your age Dan! (Ok, our ages). The perpetual debate for boomers, who was hotter? Mary Ann or Ginger? Maybe Gilligan Was one lucky SOB!

Thank you for your honest input.
Last night (it's morning here in Japan)
I was reading various threads (including non-b&b ones) until I fell asleep at my desk, lightly accompanied by my wife's drinking.

My wife woke me up and said, "I'll give it to you as a gift? if it doesn't suit you, why don't you just buy another head addition?” (I'm afraid of the payback.)

That's exactly what she said! Just grab any of the gaps...

The journey continues, so I'll choose to meet and part with a little more knowledge.
She’s a keeper!

My take on this is that (1) you’ll hear widely varying opinions about how the Blackbird shaves depending on the user’s shaving style, and (2) with a Wolfman WR2 finding the gap that works best for you makes a big difference. They are very different designs but both extreme, and rather opposite approaches in some ways.

The Blackbird is a low gap and high blade exposure razor. The WR2 is high gap and high blade reveal, and the blade exposure changes a lot as the gap increases (negative exposure at 0.95 gap, zero exposure at 1.05 gap, all the way up to a whopping 0.40mm positive exposure at 1.55 gap).

I find the Blackbird shaves very smoothly but not as efficiently using a shallow angle (as it is designed to be used), but it shaves very efficiently with a strong, aggressive blade feel at a steep angle, which you could find a little harsh.

The WR2 shaves smoothly and efficiently with a steep angle, but it is harder to shave with comfortably using a shallow angle because there’s a lot of blade reveal. I have a WR2 1.35 and 1.55. The 1.35 didn’t impress me that much but the 1.55 really clicked for me and is amazing. Yes, it has blade feel, but at a steep angle it doesn’t feel harsh at all. You might click with a completely different gap, and it’s rather expensive to find your ideal gap by trial and error, though they are all good razors.

Both work best if you use a light touch, more so than most other razors, in my opinion.

I’d say the WR2 in the right gap is the better razor - especially if you want high efficiency with smoothness (then a high gap WR2 is definitely smoother than shaving steep with a Blackbird to get comparable efficiency). If you want medium-high efficiency with more smoothness then the choice might be closer between a lower gap WR2 and the Blackbird, and your preference may depend more on whether you like to shave shallow (Blackbird) or steep (WR2).

At least that’s my take from what I’ve used. Others may disagree.

Yes, it has blade feel, but at a steep angle it doesn’t feel harsh at all. You might click with a completely different gap, and it’s rather expensive to find your ideal gap by trial and error, though they are all good razors.

At least that’s my take from what I’ve used. Others may disagree.
Since I know you also own the Stando Chors,
how would you compare the WR2 gaps to the Chors, specifically for the amount of "blade feel".

I just acquired the Chors and like it fine,
but the "blade feel" is about as much as I like, and still maintain comfort.

Regarding the Blackbird: i also own that razor and really like it a lot. Folks talk about "blade Feel" with this razor also (including the manufacturer) but i do not find it at all obvious when I use it. Its a very smooth razor for me. No "scraping" feeling with this razor. (i think this has to do with its uniquely-designed low gap, high exposure geometry...)

I am recently on the Wolfman wait list, and am trying to hone-in on my preferred gap for the WR2...
(sounds like I'm in the 1.15 or 1.25 camp, so far...)

Since I know you also own the Stando Chors,
how would you compare the WR2 gaps to the Chors, specifically for the amount of "blade feel".

I just acquired the Chors and like it fine,
but the "blade feel" is about as much as I like, and still maintain comfort.

Regarding the Blackbird: i also own that razor and really like it a lot. Folks talk about "blade Feel" with this razor also (including the manufacturer) but i do not find it at all obvious when I use it. Its a very smooth razor for me. No "scraping" feeling with this razor. (i think this has to do with its uniquely-designed low gap, high exposure geometry...)

I am recently on the Wolfman wait list, and am trying to hone-in on my preferred gap for the WR2...
(sounds like I'm in the 1.15 or 1.25 camp, so far...)
I think you find the Blackbird very smooth because I suspect you shave at a shallow angle with it. I think those who complain about the blade feel are shaving steeper than you. Try shaving more steep with it and you’ll feel the blade more, but I think you will also get a more efficient shave. It probably won’t be your favourite way, but it will be informative (maybe you’ll find that steep for pass 1 and shallow for pass 2 and 3 is an even better shave?). Or you will prove me wrong and I’ll go back to the drawing board on this.

It’s really hard to compare the Chors blade feel to a WR2. The way a WR2 shaves is quite unique. When you feel the blade on a WR2, shaving steep with a light touch, you’re feeling it at a different angle, gently, and moving over your skin in a different plane, so it doesn’t feel the same. It is qualitatively different, not just quantitatively different. I would guess you’re in the right sort of ball park with expecting a fairly similar result with a 1.25 or 1.15, though the closest I’ve used is a 1.35 and I wouldn’t know how to compare it to my Chors. The WR2 is just going to be different.

But when people say they find a WR2 1.55 very smooth despite definite blade feel, they aren’t wrong either, and it is unbelievably efficient. Just because you feel the Chors blade feel is at your limit, it doesn’t necessarily mean that greater blade feel from a WR2 would be above your limit - it could even be more comfortable than the Chors for you, possibly. The Wolfman WR1 is more conventional than the WR2 and you could probably find the equivalent gap for the Chors (maybe 0.80) and accurately predict how different WR1 gaps will then feel to you, but not with the WR2. Very different thing.

I think you’re probably right to go for the 1.25 or 1.15 range. It will be a great razor. Take your time to get used to it - don’t make a snap judgement, it can take time to get a feel for how to shave with a WR2, or it could be perfectly instinctive for you. Then you’ll probably get a sense whether your next WR2 should be higher or lower gap, and I would advise to make a significant jump rather than a minor one. Go to either 0.95 or 1.45, for example, and you will likely get something quite surprisingly wonderful.

It’s how I see it. I’m not trying to be mystical.

Thank you for your valuable input.

I will not be purchasing a wr2 anytime soon, but I am sure I will get one in the future, so I will gather some more information.
What I'm looking for in a wr2 is calmness and daily shaving, so I'm targeting between 1.05-1.15.

Currently stando chors, blackbird SB and timeless OC are my favorite double edged razors, but I shave most days with stando rod (feather super), it's fun to discover every time I use a double edged razor.

Top Bottom