What's new

Used Wolfmans: gap verification?

Also, it sounds like the Maker really does fabricate these "to order", and doesn't bang-out 100 WR2 plates to keep in-stock proactively... so not much opportunity for supplying the wrong plate to an Order.
The base plate and top cap are made together as a unit for each order as has been said on many occasions, James will not sell 2 or more base plates with a top cap... Its strictly 1/1 each order...

Maybe someone here can arm twist him into including a free puck stand with every razor.
This would have the gap engraved discreetly below the stand.

I was curious, so I looked on Amazon at "feeler gauges"...
Not finding one that measures over 1.00mm...

Edit: I guess people "Stack" two gauges together to measure a gap wider than 1.0mm?

Last edited:
The base plate and top cap are made together as a unit for each order as has been said on many occasions, James will not sell 2 or more base plates with a top cap... Its strictly 1/1 each order...

This is no longer the case. Have ordered a razor with an additional baseplate, twice and bet I could do it again.

I use specific handles for different gaps. Or additional metals or simply return the razor to the box. Very rarely get them mixed up. Buying secondhand you have to trust the seller or be prepared to trade with someone. I do have a gauge to check if uncertain.

This is no longer the case. Have ordered a razor with an additional baseplate, twice and bet I could do it again.

I use specific handles for different gaps. Or additional metals or simply return the razor to the box. Very rarely get them mixed up. Buying secondhand you have to trust the seller or be prepared to trade with someone. I do have a gauge to check if uncertain.
I thought your muti-baseplate was the WR3 and WR4 which you had mentioned before but was unaware the WR1 or WR2 as I was turned down for the WR2 with 2 baseplates. Thanks for setting me straight though...

I have four WR2s. One has the engraved gap on it. But for all of them, I just make a shim out of a used razor blade, write the gap on the shim with a sharpie, and then put the labeled shim in with the head and base plate. Easy enough for me to keep track. And I really only need it for my two stainless WR2s (that have different handles but otherwise look alike); my two bronze ones have different top caps (one smooth, one scalloped). But the shim system works well for me.

To OP's point, it's still just the honor system.

Eben Stone

Staff member
If James were to standardize the gap markings then I’d hope he could redesign them so they don’t detract from the appearance. Then again, I’m not sure he is very motivated to facilitate the secondary market.
But he sure is motivated to engrave the blade gap on the Guerrillas. They have the blade gap printed TWICE on the top of the base plate. I'm not complaining. I'd be very annoyed if it didn't have it.

I have a WR1 from the very first production run, with stand and several handles. I think it is .61, but there is no engraving whatsoever on the head, not even branding or model number. Most people would think .61 is too mild, but you can’t compare a WR1 to a WR2. My memory may or may not be accurate. Whoever buys it from my estate sale years from now is going to have to figure it out for themselves, but without branding, I do hope it doesn’t get sold for $2 or something.

I was wondering the same thing. I guess if one has two WR2 razors and he forgets which one was say 1.25 and which was 1.55, then all he has to do is put both razors side by side and he will see the difference. But when someone buys a Wolfman razor, he has to take the word of the seller.

Top Bottom