What's new

Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades

Had my second and third shave on the 3rd blade loaded in the post war fat handle Tech. Very smooth, comfortable and close with today's being a BBS (did an extra pass and a touch up). I like these in the Tech but they aren't my favorite. Here's a picture of what I used:
20200307_095743.jpg

6 shaves on the first blade. I’ve used DE blades for a bit less than 10 months. I’m not sure whether what I observe is necessarily the blade. It could also be technique. However, my experience is that the blade works well at removing my perhaps lighter than average beard, but it seems to drag or pull a bit more than the blades I prefer. I’ve been using a heavy tech. At this point in my experience with the blades I don’t think I would opt for 100, but that’s tentative based on one blade only.

1st blade, 4th shave.

This blade seems to be reaching the end of its useful life. Today's shave marked a drop-off of both comfort and efficiency. DFS to BBS depending on region, but I had more trouble getting there.

The first two shaves were with a Fat Handle Tech, the next two with an English Aristocrat Jr.
I alternated between a Proraso Omega Pro and an Omega Pro 49 (10049)
WMS for all four shaves, Nivea PSB for all four shaves

So on to blade 2 with 2 new razors.

2nd blade, 1st shave.

V3A razor
WMS
Proraso Omega boar
Nivea PSB

Well, I got a close (DFS) shave again, but with some irritation, so it appears my previous issues with this blade were not due to a single dud blade. Next razor up is a Rockwell 6C.

I had my fourth shave on the third blade early this morning. Still smooth and comfortable. The shave is not nearly as close as yesterday's BBS and I really had to work for it. Tomorrow I am going to load a fresh one in Old type or a Goodwill.

Head shave #3 w same blade. Used Lupo and TOBS sandalwood.
1st pass was OK, bit tuggy.
I admit for the 2nd pass I switched to R41 and new Nacet (just needed a good shave)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey @Grundi !

I'm still alive, and checking in.

My first shave on the first blade is in the books. Overall, VERY NICE! Here's a picture I took of my setup last night.
IMG_20200307_220939631~2.jpg

I used my terribly shedding Marvy brush, along with my "Just like Grampa used to shave" Petri dish soap.

I even broke out my 1959 Fat Boy for the ride.

The aftershave the War Department hates! Punches you in the face! It's a mix I made up; you can get drunk off the fumes.

As to the blade: I could feel it, but not really tuggy. It just let me know it was in there. I think I'll use it in my Tech next time.

I really expect it to act like an Astra SS, or a GSB: give a better shave the second time around.

I DID get the feeling that the "INOXIDIBLE" (lol) blade may be more of a sprinter than a marathon man, but I may be surprised. There is no doubt it is a thicker blade than normal, so much so that I would bet it could go dull and be stropped.

Thanks so much for forwarding them to me, and a big shout out to @Space_Cadet for sending those blades from halfway around the world so that this here old man could play with razor blades that would otherwise not be as easily obtained!

Sincerely, The tanned farmer

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200308

20200308_101434~2.jpg

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: n/a
Brush: Opal 100 w/24mm Best Badger Knot
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch (in an Old Spice cup)
Bowl: n/a (face lathered)
Razor: RazoRock DLC Lupo
Blade: Elios Inoxidable (1)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Skin Toner
Aftershave Balm: Bath & Bodyworks Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling and Moisturizing
Cologne: Original Stetson

WTG, ATG and XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. Really nice shave!

First shave with the Elios Inoxidable blade sent by @Grundi as part of the 'Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades'. Thank you, @Grundi :)

First shave impressions: Very good match for the RazoRock DLC Lupo. No tugging at all. Smooth. Handled my Southern Italian beard nicely. No weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

All in all, an impressive debut. I look forward to additional shaves with the Elios Inoxidable blade to gauge longevity and consistency.

YMMV

A personal note from me to all of you (before I forget to do this):

A huge, huge THANK YOU to everyone who has responded and participated in the Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades. Your banter, reviews, and pics have made this amazing!!

Thank you, @Space_Cadet, for being the Patron of this PIF!!

To each Participant, THANK YOU - @BigJ, @Atlantic59, @Billski, @Demolition, @DEPenguin, @Chef455, @ftrez, @Cleanface, @NicksDad, @geneaut, @Chaucer, @CJB3, @Ted A, @Weean, @lancre, @Suhrim21, @JoeLr, @SolidSnake03, @emwolf, @Earcutter, @dezmil, @skyfire1, @gvw755, @Post_Shave, @jbreakfield, @never-stop-learning, @FarmerTan, @shotgun233, @md1234, @jaro 101969, @something better, @xiletero.

Thank you, B&B, for letting me do this. I'm very blessed to be part of this wonderful B&B community.

PS. This Participation PIF has gone so well, and the response has been excellent that we'll be doing others, some similar some different, in the very near future (plus, it wasn't that expensive, and I've just had a blast doing this!!)

PPS. Inoxidable is fun to type and say!!

PPSS. Please keep posting about your shaving experiences (good or bad) with the ELIOS Inoxidable Blades!!

I used a fresh blade today in a new razor the Rockwell 6s. So far I’ve tried the blade in three different razors. I have use the blade also in a weber pH and .84 game changer open comb.

It has worked well in on all three razors. It’s comparable to my favorite blades the silver blues. Just slightly less sharp and smooth if I’m being critical.

The last blade I used for six shaves in the game changer. The last shave was time to change blades as it left a little more stubble then I like with each pass.

Overall the blades have been a pleasant surprise.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200309

20200309_080722~2.jpg

Brush: Generic 29mm Extra Density Silvertip Badger
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Ikon (ShaveCraft) Tech, Maggard MR11 Handle
Blade: Elios Inoxidable (2)
Cologne: Bath and Bodyworks Midnight

WTG. Minor XTG touch-up.

DFS with one weeper (scraped a mole), no nicks, cuts or irritation. Really nice shave!

Second shave with the Elios Inoxidable blade sent by @Grundi as part of the 'Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades'.

Second shave impressions: Good match for the Ikon (ShaveCraft) Tech. VERY efficient. Handled my Southern Italian beard handily.

All in all, an impressive shave with a VERY exacting razor!

Will continue shaving with this blade in different razors to determine longevity and consistency.

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200310

20200310_101618~2.jpg

Brush: Vintage Certify w/24mm Tuxedo Synthetic Knot
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Gillette 1947 Tech/NEW Hybrid (England), RazoRock Ti Halo
Blade: Elios Inoxidable (3)
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec Cologne

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. Outstanding shave!

Third shave with the Elios Inoxidable blade sent by @Grundi as part of the 'Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades'.

Excellent match for the Hybrid Tech. The combination is exceedingly smooth and appropriately efficient.

Will continue shaving with this blade in different razors to determine longevity and consistency.

YMMV

After some hemming & hawing, I finally got around to a fresh, un-honed blade in the Rockwell 6c. Oddly, no tugging whatsoever, like there was in the Yaqi with the un-honed blade. Honed, the Yaqi performed remarkably well. I thought my 6c's initial performance was due to the honed blade. I still find some blades that were rough for me before (Merkur, I'm looking at you), are smooth as silk in any razor after honing. I'm not going to discount out of hand this practice. I do think the 6c must be a very forgiving razor, much like the Merkur 34c. Anyway, happy non-oxidized shaves to all, and thanks for the PIF.

DFS: 10th shave on the first blade. Rockwell 6c, plate 3. This is becoming my preferred razor and plate. I did get a bit of sting on my neck with the alum block. I'm suspecting though that it was likely poor lather. And I blame the small Cremo brush. I'll see tomorrow using a different brush to make the lather.

This morning was my 8th and last shave with my 1st Elios blade, all in my ATT S1 slant. Half of the shaves were with Stirling Sheep and the others were with Cello Rapida. The 5th though 8th shaves were much like the 1st through 4th. The blade was still very smooth and didn't show signs of dullness until this morning, when I got my 1st nick (a tiny one but still a nick). Overall, the experience has been positive.

Tomorrow morning the voyage of discovery continues with a fresh Elios blade in my Tatara Masamune SB.

Experiment complete. I just had my 8th and final shave with a 2nd Elios blade. The 1st 4 shaves with the 2nd blade were with my Tatara Masamune SB, and the last 4 were with my Masamune OC. As you'd expect, the OC is somewhat more efficient/aggressive than the SB. With an Elios blade, the Masamune OC produced the best results--noticeably better than the SB and a little better than the ATT S1. (With sharper blades, the SB is formidable.) I've been using Stirling Sheep soap and Cello Rapida cream, and there didn't seem to be any difference in performance between them.

My overall experience with the Elios blades has been similar regardless of razor, soap or cream, etc. Very smooth but not very sharp. Easy shaves with only 1 small nick and no scrapes in 16 shaves. But not very close or quick shaves. Consistency was good with both blades through 7 shaves, but both seemed much more dull in the 8th shave. (My one small nick was in the 8th shave with the 1st blade.)

So, I'll use the rest of my 5-pack, thanks to the generous PIF. But, if blades like Silver Blues, Polsilvers or German Wilks are available, I don't see myself buying Elios blades in the current form.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200311

Wednesday is The Veg Day!

20200311_095328~2.jpg

Brush: Graydog Chubby, 26mm Full Moon
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Gillette 1947 Tech/NEW Hybrid (England), RazoRock Ti Halo
Blade: Elios Inoxidable (4)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS+ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. Not quite as close as yesterday's shave. Still an outstanding shave!

Fourth shave with the Elios Inoxidable blade sent by @Grundi as part of the 'Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades'. This blade is aging gracefully - still providing excellent shaves.

As stated yesterday: The Elios blade is an excellent match for the Hybrid Tech. The combination is exceedingly smooth and appropriately efficient.

YMMV

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A personal note from me to all of you (before I forget to do this):

A huge, huge THANK YOU to everyone who has responded and participated in the Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades. Your banter, reviews, and pics have made this amazing!!

Thank you, @Space_Cadet, for being the Patron of this PIF!!

To each Participant, THANK YOU - @BigJ, @Atlantic59, @Billski, @Demolition, @DEPenguin, @Chef455, @ftrez, @Cleanface, @NicksDad, @geneaut, @Chaucer, @CJB3, @Ted A, @Weean, @lancre, @Suhrim21, @JoeLr, @SolidSnake03, @emwolf, @Earcutter, @dezmil, @skyfire1, @gvw755, @Post_Shave, @jbreakfield, @never-stop-learning, @FarmerTan, @shotgun233, @md1234, @jaro 101969, @something better, @xiletero.

Thank you, B&B, for letting me do this. I'm very blessed to be part of this wonderful B&B community.

PS. This Participation PIF has gone so well, and the response has been excellent that we'll be doing others, some similar some different, in the very near future (plus, it wasn't that expensive, and I've just had a blast doing this!!)

PPS. Inoxidable is fun to type and say!!

PPSS. Please keep posting about your shaving experiences (good or bad) with the ELIOS Inoxidable Blades!!
It was expensive enough at 50 cents a person, so let me know if you want me to throw some money your way, as I don't plan on taking any with me, ha.

Today was my second shave with that "INOXIDIBLE" blade (I think it was the second?). Anyway, here's a pic of the setup:
IMG_20200311_170956117.jpg

I'm saving the details of the software and hardware for my thread about shaving like Grampa used to, as the soap is definitely something he may have used. It was given me by a generous gent that hangs out here.

As to the shave: that blade gave me a BBS in two passes. Wonderful post shave feel, which may have been the soap...

Top Bottom