What's new

Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades

However, don't feel discouraged. The rumor on the street is that @Toothpick and @Space_Cadet have sent @Grundi more blades and that more Participation (and Challenge!!) PIFs will be starting soon. Don't...Touch...That...Dial...

deereatingpopcorn.gif

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200319

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

20200319_171914~2.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: n/a
Brush: AP Shave Co. 24mm Cashmere
Soap: Pre de Provance 63
Bowl: n/a (face lathered)
Razor: Gillette Old Type, Karve Brass Handle
Blade: Elios Inoxidable (7)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Skin Toner
Aftershave Balm: Bath & Bodyworks Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Kolonia 1800 Vetiver deCrusellas EdC

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. Very nice shave!

Shave number seven with the Elios Inoxidable blade sent by @Grundi as part of the 'Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades'. Time to retire Blade #1 and start on Blade #2.

The Elios blade has been a good match for each of the razors I've paired it with - both smooth and efficient.

YMMV

Fourth shave on ELIOS blade #1. Still using the RR Old Type.

Still smooth and comfortable on all three of my passes (WTG, ATG, XTG). However, I felt like I was buffing a bit more than last time. Although the shave felt close, it might not have been as efficient. Might be dulling a bit?

If so, then I'll try it in a more aggressive razor next time to see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I'm still enjoying this blade quite a bit!

The rumor on the street is that @Toothpick and @Space_Cadet have sent @Grundi more blades and that more Participation (and Challenge!!) PIFs will be starting soon. Don't...Touch...That...Dial...
@Space_Cadet gave me a preview of the next Participation PIF and it is truly intriguing. I doubt that many of us have ever tried these blades (yes, more than one), so I think that we're all going to get an education this time! :biggrin1:

@Space_Cadet gave me a preview of the next Participation PIF and it is truly intriguing. I doubt that many of us have ever tried these blades (yes, more than one), so I think that we're all going to get an education this time! :biggrin1:
YES!! The blades are currently making their way across The Great Pond!! Some on the B&B have tried them and have posted nice reviews!!

This Particpation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades has been a lot of fun, and I've enjoyed reading all the reviews, both the good and the not-so-good.

2nd blade, 9th, & 10th shaves:

Rockwell 6C R4 razor
WMS
Omega Proraso or 10049 boar (I alternate)
Shavex alum
Nivea PSB

Well, I'm seeing a drop in performance at this point. 10 shaves seems to be the limit for me with this blade. Still DFS, but it takes more work and the blade feels rougher. Time to pack it in.

This week I shaved with my last blade in the pif. I paired it with the game changer .84 OC as I had the best results using that razor with these blades.

Today I had my sixth shave with the same blade. Blades work really well with that particular razor. I only had one bad shave this week that resulted in a Nick on my upper lip.

Otherwise the shaves have turned out well and I was able to shave for the whole week with the same blade.

Next week I plan to use a nacet for comparison I have use these other blades for about a month. I will Give a comparison of the two different blades. I have found the nacets to be extremely smooth for me.

I shaved with the last blade sent to me from @Grundi this past week and had some nice shaves. I used an 48-50 Gillette Aristocrat this week, a very smooth and efficient shaver IMO.
20200320_143845.jpg

Since the Elios Inoxidable take a shave or two to settle in, I am going to give them a pass for future purchase because my preferred blades (Nacet, Perma-sharp Super, Gillette Platinum) shave well right out of the package. Thanks again for doing this guys, it's been a blast!

I used my first Elios earlier today. It was a very comfortable two pass shave (WTG,XTG), with zero stress for my skin and satisfactory results in smoothness. It worked very well on my Feather ASD2, now I look forward experimenting more with it.

Today was my first shave on the second Elios blade from @Grundi. Parker open comb. 2+ pass DFS. I could feel a little bit of pulling before the blade cut, but that could well be because it’s the first shave. I’ll see what tomorrow’s shave brings. So not a great shave but a nice result

Second shave with my first Elios blade today. It was as comfortable as yesterday (Feather ASD2, Proraso red, 2 pass WTG and XTG), my sensitive skin feels perfect again. I have no idea if this makes any sense: it felt like the blade was a tiny bit sharper than yesterday and I was actually able to shave closer.

I have no idea if this makes any sense: it felt like the blade was a tiny bit sharper than yesterday and I was actually able to shave closer.
Several posts in this thread mentioned that the first shave with the ELIOS felt a bit tuggy, but the second and later shaves felt smooth. I've noticed it, as well.

This may be due to the blade's coating wearing off, allowing more of the edge to be exposed. It occurs with quite a few blades, which goes to show that sometimes you shouldn't toss a blade just because the first shave was only so-so.

Fifth shave on ELIOS blade #1.

Last time, the blade felt like it was dulling slightly. I had to do some buffing to get the same results as earlier shaves with the same blade.

Therefore, I switched to a GC .84-P to see if a more aggressive razor could bring it back to life. I'm happy to report that the blade is revitalized. It feels much sharper than last time, yet still smooth and comfortable.

The thing that I like most about this blade is that it has remained consistent from shave to shave. This kind of predictability is reassuring because I can depend on it giving me good results. The only question left is whether this blade has any longevity. Will it be as good on the 25th shave as it was on the 5th shave?

With any luck, I'll find out.

I was under the impression Elios was SS, I read about coated blades becoming sharper once the coating is gone, but wasn't expecting that on a stainless.
If that's the case, then I have no idea. Several people (including me and you) have remarked that the ELIOS feels better on the second and later shaves.

Maybe it's like stropping the blade, except we're using our faces as the strop! :biggrin1:

Having found this blade happier in a mild razor (it's been grand in my vintage Wilkinson Sword Sticky), I thought I'd give it a go in my Gillette Tech head, even though @lancre didn't enjoy the combination.

My Tech is the modern Chinese-produced Super Blue you can buy on Aliexpress, maybe that makes a difference (interestingly, although it's in current production, I think that the threads are English/Imperial - I certainly can't get the supplied handle onto any of my modern heads). It's just 11g, but I pair it up with a Windrose Damascus steel handle that weighs 83g, so it doesn't feel like a toy.

I had another nice shave. I've lost count of which number blade this is, but it was shave #2 on the edge. I'm fearful for @Demolition moving the blade to a more aggressive razor though - maybe I've just been retiring my blades too soon.

Top Bottom