What's new

Participation PIF - A Very Mysteree-X Shave

Personna X-series edge 4 shave 2. YaQi DOC cap/VigShaving hybrid base/Razorock bamboo SS handle, Wilkinson Sword bowl soap, YaQi Giotto 24mm synth.

This is what I call my FrankenDOC - the cap from a YaQi Mellon, with the OC side of a VigShaving hybrid base. It tends to give a very mild shave, although sometimes it doesn't cut as close as I'd really like. Today it didn't do too badly, although there was a distinct absence of BBS along my right jawline. I think I'll give the edge one more go before tossing it.

IMG_0192_1200x849.jpg

Twelfth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Maggard Travel-Size (18mm Timber Wolf)
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

A great shave, today!

The X-Series blade did not disappoint as it delivered another fine shave. There was no further decline in performance as, unlike yesterday, all of my usual passes were smooth and comfortable. Of particular note is that the strangely troublesome WTG pass went by quickly and effortlessly.

Buffing was also a simple matter. A few strokes here and there brought me to my customary BBS without any irritation. All in all, it was a great shave. :thumbup1:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Personna Mysteree X shave#19
IMG_20220508_130642_1.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Personna Mysteree X(19)
Soap: RR Don Marco
Brush: RR Beehive Brush

Today was such a great weather day I dug out the Don Marco, it just smells like summer to me and we have so few really sunny days here that if I save this soap for just sunny days I could have it for many years to come. The first weather station in Ireland was built in this town because it is the wettest place in the country.
The shave, although smoother than last night still wasn't the best and the resulting DFS was disappointing. I think I will have to pull out all the stops tomorrow to see if I can take this blade any further luckily tomorrow is MdC Monday.

Personna Mysteree X shave#19
View attachment 1452719
Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Personna Mysteree X(19)
Soap: RR Don Marco
Brush: RR Beehive Brush

Today was such a great weather day I dug out the Don Marco, it just smells like summer to me and we have so few really sunny days here that if I save this soap for just sunny days I could have it for many years to come. The first weather station in Ireland was built in this town because it is the wettest place in the country.
The shave, although smoother than last night still wasn't the best and the resulting DFS was disappointing. I think I will have to pull out all the stops tomorrow to see if I can take this blade any further luckily tomorrow is MdC Monday.
Don Marco is such an amazing late spring, early summer scent!! I have a teeny-tiny bit left that I'm saving for when the weather finally turns warm!! Love the scent!!

Mysteree Blade 2 Shaves 2 & 3
Personna X-Series Blade 3 Shave 3

After a busy weekend I need to catch up on my Mystereee writeups. I completed my 3rd head shave with the X-Series and two face shaves with Mysteree blade #2, the trusty GSB.

Head Shave:
Razor:
Rockwell 6C Plate 6
Blade: Personna X-Series (3)
Brush: Parker Badger
Soap: Highland Springs Silence

I had 8 days growth for this head shave, which is a little too much. The smart move would have been to take it down with clippers before going at it with a DE, but laziness sometimes overcomes smartness. I could tell right away that the X-Series had lost a noticeable amount of sharpness. For the first pass WTG I had to get the blade and just exactly right to cut anything effectively, and I struggled a lot with clogging. It would get bad enough that I had to loosen the top cap to flush out the packed in hairs with running water. Like I said, I should have used clippers beforehand.

Pass 2 was XTG and Pass 3 was XTG the other way. These were better than the first pass, but the blade wasn’t gliding through the hair and really wanted to chatter and skip. A little less sensitive to shave angle than Pass 1, but it was still a narrow window for it to cut properly. I got it done in the end, but this just wasn’t the right tool for the job.

Face Shaves:
Razor:
Karve CB safety bar D plate
Blade: GSB (2 & 3)
Brush: Parker Badger
Soap: Highland Springs Silence (both shaves)

Shave 2 with GSB was a quick single-pass WTG job on 48 hours growth because I was in a rush. I think it was my first ever one-pass shave in ~14 months of using a DE. It was fast, uneventful, and probably 90% as good as a 3-pass shave. I’d call it an SAS+.

Shave 3 was my regular WTG-XTG-ATG shave. It was easy and irritation-free, leaving me with a solid DFS. It would have taken some skin stretching to take it to the next level, but I was very happy with what I achieved basically on autopilot.

I like this blade more and more with each shave. It just glides through my tough stubble like it’s not even there, yet does that without feeling sharp or harsh. Before this PIF I didn’t think much of GSB and couldn’t understand why so many people loved them. I’m blaming my previous dislike of them on the user, because this blade clearly has the goods.

Usually I bin a blade after 3 shaves, but this one is still going strong so I’m going to do a couple more shaves with it.

Mysteree-X Blade 2
Shaves 2
and 3
Razor
: Gillette Slim 8-8-8
Aftershave: Zingari Navigator

A little catch-up here. I kept with the Slim and had a relaxing Saturday shave. Still lots of tugging and required lots of buffing, but I had the time and paid extra close attention to keeping zero pressure and was rewarded with one of the closest, longest-lasting irritation-free shaves. Granted, I shaved later in the morning than I usually do, but it was still smooth in most places when I went to bed.

Today, the Monday morning shave had a little less beard than usual as a result. I tend to have better shaves when I have longer stubble, as sometimes if I shave again too soon there are lots of little bumps where the hairs are starting to emerge. Nevertheless, it was the same sort of shave, maybe a little less sharp but just as scrapey as is usual for the X blade. Had to do a lot of buffing along the chin and jawline. My neck was taunting me, but I could tell it was on the edge of irritation so I backed off. It's still pretty good by the end of the workday. I can tell there's some irritation and some stubble and rough skin, but also no weepers to speak of. The Zingari kept everything soft and smooth.

This is a funny blade. It hasn't degraded all that much, and the shaves have not ever been enjoyable, but Saturday's results were top notch. I'll see how today's shave wears tomorrow and will probably give the blade a chance for a fourth shave.
xseries.jpg

Mysteree blade #1, Shave #3

Blade: Treet Durasharp (yellow wrapper)
Razor: Pre-war Gillette Tech on a SS handle
Cream: Nivea Sensitive with a dab of Cremo Cooling
Brush: Cheap no-name off of Amazon
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue

The end result was good. Got a couple of little weepers along the jaw line that were unusual. I wouldn't blade the blade or razor. It was probably me just getting a little handsy with the pressure. I really do like this Treet blade, though.

Personna Mysteerree 'X' Series Blade Shave 8

Razor: Gillette Mk 2 Adjustable (AKA Slim) (8,7,8)
Soap: Palmolive Classic (not shown)
IMG_20220504_184438601.jpg

Had a decent enough 48+ hour growth to deal with.

I was in a bit of a rush tonight, so I am having to use a stock photo, but I have noted differences.

I set the Slim at 8,7,8 for the 3 passes. I had not used the Mk 2 beyond setting 7 before.

Just a very pleasant and efficient 3 passer. The blade complemented the Slim perfectly. I also found that this is my ideal settings for this razor with a 2-4 day growth I think. Maybe 9, 8, 9 at 3-5+ days.

This setting delivered the best shave I have had with the Slim/Mk 2. The blade performed as always so far with it. The Gillette adjustable lineage are just so smooth across their whole range of settings, and this blade helped showcase that. It is also one of the best looking razors ever made!

DFS+ result and very nice.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Personna Mysteree X shave#20
IMG_20220509_113607.jpg

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Personna Mysteree X(20)
Soap: MdC Original
Brush: Yaqi Purple Mink

Tonight I used MdC Original for MdC Monday and because it is one of my slickest soaps and to try and solve the problem of the poor finish the R41 which often just scares the whiskers away. Not today however I found all three passes tuggy especially the ATG pass. The finish itself was only a DFS+ but with no irritation so I reluctantly call time on this blade with 20 shaves.
All in all once you get past the initial rough shaves the blade is still a good performer and well worth using with performance similar to (but not quite as good as) the German Personna Platinum blades.
I would like to thank @Grundi and @mikey for arranging this PIF for an excellent blade.

IMG_0193._1200x855.jpg

Thirteenth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble (24mm Silvertip Badger)
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Still performing well.

The FOCS/X-Series duo provided another close, comfortable shave, today. My ATG and XTG passes were both quick and trouble-free, although the WTG pass has suffered a minor reduction in smoothness.

Efficiency has dropped slightly as I needed to expend more energy on completing my passes. This isn't a surprise since the blade has surely dulled over the last two weeks of daily use.

I required only a moderate amount of buffing to achieve another fairly easy BBS. As usual, there was no post-shave irritation. So, overall, today's shave was top-notch, once again.

Tue 10 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#6
Soap
Colonel Conk Lime
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Razor Yaqi Mellon COB
Blade Persona X Series 6th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Splash
Missed using this excellent & very affordable soap! It is easy to lather and produces a rich & super slick lather with a nice light lime scent...awesome!!
A good shave session with this razor paired with the still good blade. Easy, smooth, and efficient enough in 3passes for a mostly bbs finish without any issues...
20220510_111847.jpg

3rd use MystereeX blade
Head shave:
RR GC OC 0.84
MDC
Sagrada familia
2+ pass shave.....; had 3+ days of stubble....this was a smooth and close shave no drama whatsoever.....I think this was the best shave w this blade.

For the face I used a Nacet 2-3uses? with a Muhle Rocca; I chose this one because last time I had some irritation w the MystereeX.....; well the Nacet felt sharper but not smoother.

This MystereeX is getting better......wonder how many more.......will keep using it.....

20220509_162804-01.jpeg
Treet - shave #1

I'm having a bit of a hard time in this pif... *sigh*

I didn't really enjoy the Personna X-series (she lacked shaving comfort and felt too scratchy for my liking), so I had high hopes today's shave would turn out better. The Treet was a "new to me" blade.

Well...

No. 🤷‍♂️

Given the fact that this (fresh!) Treet blade appears as dull as a butter knife the shave turned out surprisingly okay... but make no mistake, I solely blame the razor for this useful result 😉. And, of course, tallow based Tabac is given an honourable mention. However, the blade was tugging like crazy.

Sure, I'll shave a second time with this blade. Entering "for science" area.

Despite all my moaning I'd like to take the chance to say "thank you" to @Grundi and @mikey for letting me participate here. Thanks, guys!

Top Bottom