What's new

Participation PIF - A Very Mysteree-X Shave

After the shower
Use of blade #5
Speick stick
Same horrible Omega boar (lather eater.....but it did not eat Arko: go figure)
RR German 37
2+ pass: good lather for one pass, 2ndo was too runny almost non existent......the hog ate it. Had to reach for a can: Barbasol w menthol to finish the shave.
Bootlegers
Proraso Red
Trader Joes antioxidant
I do have some irritation......, but the shave was close and felt smooth
AS others have mentioned this blade is somewhat similar to Crystal *have you seen the prices??):eek2:
Well next try will be with a fav soap and a nice smooth synthetic brush...... so I can have only one variant: blade.

20220512_104044-01.jpeg
Treet "Black Beauty" - shave #2

Second shave with the black carbon coated Treet. Overall, the shave was better than the debut shave, but still, I likely won't end up being a fanboy of this blade. The first pass felt uncomfortable due to a lot of drag, pass two and three went better, though. Maybe the slanted open comb head of the ATT S2 quenched a bit more of performance out of this blade.

DFS+, no cuts.

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
Thu 12 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#8
Soap
Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Parker 26C OC
Blade Persona X Series 8th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + HeV-CCC Balm
One of my top 3 cigarish-scented soaps! What a lovely aroma...overdid with the lather...hahaha!!
Another good shave with this blade when paired with the nice razor. Easy smooth and very comfortable. This blade has been excellent going atg. The result was primarily bbs finish in 3passes. The matching aftershave balm ensures a lasting enjoyable aroma...
20220512_210531.jpg

IMG_0196_1200x878.jpg

Sixteenth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 (24mm Boar)
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

The X-Series blade is still performing well.

I had a heavier beard, today, due to yesterday's slapdash effort, so it was no surprise that I had to expend a lot more energy to complete my shave. I ended up doing an extra ATG pass, after finishing my three usual passes, in addition to some moderate buffing.

The end result was another smooth, comfortable BBS. And, despite all the extra attention, my skin feels calm and refreshed.

0203B26C-07EE-4123-962A-776F2C449BB2.jpeg

Personna X-Series #2, shave #4
2 days growth
Preshave: warm shower
Brush: PAA Starcraft (24mm synthetic)
Cream: Speick
Razor: Henson Al-13+++
Aftershave: alum, Nancy Boy replenishing gel

I think the most frustrating thing with this hobby isn't an occasional bad shave. It's that when you do have a bad shave, you can't just decide to tweak your technique, or bin the blade, or switch razors and go again. You HAVE to wait 24-48 hours, all that time obsessing over what you need to do differently next time.

I finally got a chance to try again tonight. I started by palm lathering the Speick to apply it to my jawline and below, so I could start at my jawline and pull up before my face was too slick. After that half-pass, I did a full pass and then just a little cleanup. The X-Series again had a hard time with the thicker whiskers of my mustache and chin, but it really didn't pull, and with short but decisive strokes was able to get through them.

It was still a slow process, as I'm giving the aggressive Henson a lot of respect - perhaps too much - but it paid off. In fact, I thought I got through without even a weeper, but just as I'm about to apply the alum, I notice a tiny spot on my mustache. But almost no alum feedback, nor post-shave irritation. My face is smooth, jawlines almost smooth, neck could be better, but still a DFS+.

Still some work to do adjusting to the razor, but at least I won't be driving myself crazy thinking about it between now and Saturday, just looking forward to trying it out with my other Mysteree blade.

7.10/10

Fri 13 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#9
Soap
Yaqi Hypnotic Blue
Brush Yaqi 24mm Arctic Sky Deep Blue
Razor Fatip Grande
Blade Persona X Series 9th
Aftershaves Yaqi Hypnotic Blue Splash
This soap is really nice and the sample size makes it great for travel. Rich, creamy, slick lather with an outstanding scent...
Another awesome shave with this blade together with the excellent razor. This blade doesn't seem to degrade much. It's been a long time since I use a DE blade past the 8th. Had a very enjoyable & satisfying easy & smooth 3passes for a mostly bbs finish without any issues. The matching aftershave is just great👍!!
20220513_112750.jpg

20220512_150054-01.jpg
Treet "Black Beauty", shave #3

Following the "good news first" approach I can confirm that my shave result was excellent this morning. I missed one tiny spot on my neck under the jaw line, so I ended up with a 96,2% 😉 BBS result. No weepers or cuts, only a faint redness on my neck.

However, getting to this result within 3 passes was kind of an agony. I should have known better: a rather mild (read: dull) blade loaded into the Mühle R41 just isn't a smart move. So I kind of scratched the combo of Treet and R41 in Ti over my face, hoping not to apply too much pressure. I managed to not rip off my face but it was like walking on eggs.

Don't get my wrong, I love the R41 for the results she's capable to deliver and I'm used to use this razor model literally blind folded, but getting to these stellar BBS results requires a sharp blade (on my face).

With a sharp blade loaded into the R41 she gives a upper medium smooth and a very close shave, every single time.

If a loaded a milder blade I I'll likely miss the desired level of shaving comfort whilst shaving. As I did today. That's my fault, not the fault of the combo.

Have some smoother shaves, y'all!

IMG_0197_1190x900.jpg

Seventeenth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua (24mm Tuxedo)
Soap: Proraso Red (Sandalwood) Shaving Cream

Another smooth, close shave, but efficiency is down.

The FOCS/X-Series duo is still providing excellent shaves, overall, but signs point to the blade reaching the end of its life. My three usual passes took longer to complete and I had to buff more heavily than previously to get to the closeness that I prefer. However, the comfort level remains high despite the extra effort.

Also, I haven't had a recurrence of the minor tugging on the WTG pass that plagued some of my earlier outings. Whatever caused it seems to be solved, but it would have been nice to figure out how it originated in the first place.

Regardless, the blade is still performing well, so I'll just enjoy it while it lasts.

I think the most frustrating thing with this hobby isn't an occasional bad shave. It's that when you do have a bad shave, you can't just decide to tweak your technique, or bin the blade, or switch razors and go again. You HAVE to wait 24-48 hours, all that time obsessing over what you need to do differently next time.
+100!! Besides that, you collect all of this awesome hardware and software that you have to wait to try!!

Still, loving this wet shaving adventure!!

Personna-X blade #3, Shave #1

Blade: Personna-X
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Cream: Nivea Sensitive with a dab of Cremo Cooling
Brush: Cheap no-name off of Amazon
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue

It was ok. I haven't experienced the tugging that many others have - until now. This 3rd blade doesn't seem as sharp as the previous 2 (or perhaps I'm subconsciously comparing it to the Treet that I just used). I ended up with a decent shave, but it wasn't pleasant or comfortable. If I don't have a better shave next time, I may bin it at 2 shaves and then go to the last mysteree blade.

Personna 'X' Series Mysteerree Shave No. 10

Razor: Otto Roth 1930's NEW LC
Brush: English New Forest Badger
Soap: Arko! Shaving Stick
IMG_20220502_204006568.jpg

I had a 48 hour old stubble-field for this shave. My whiskers are getting more wiry and coarse, so it does give the blade something to do.

I have been using a great Otto Roth OC Pif'ed by that great B&B Gentleman @Messygoon, a guy who knows shaving history and gear both vintage and modern, and is a treasure to the community.

The Otto Roth is bound up with the uber confusing and murky period of Gillette history and patent shenanigans from about 1930 to 1932-3. There are a few interesting threads on here dealing with that period of Gillette history and the razor itself.

I have used it a few times now, and I can just about cope with it's ways. It has a good deal of blade exposure, but rewards with a fantastic shave if you don't treat it like a Mach 3. Doug sent a couple of Band-Aids with it but I think he was just pulling my leg.

Paired with the 'X' blade I managed a great 3 passer with it. The blade at this stage of it's life pairs brilliant with it. The edge is still holding in terms of keenness, I detect no drop, but an increased smoothness is now apparent which is continuing to build. This blade would work best with fairly aggressive razors or adjustables at higher settings on 2+ days of growth now. This is it's niche. The resemblance to a veteran IP on it's 45th shave which I have still is astounding, although this will not have the longevity, with at best maybe 7-8 more shaves in it.

A lovely reliable solid performing blade, with great predictability and very decent longevity.

I am very fond of the 'X' Blade now. Excellent BB 3 passer. Very enjoyable shave!

Last edited:
MystereeX #6
Head and face shaves
Soap RR Alchemy
Brush Polo
Razor:Karve mixed top and handle alum + base SS OC C
2+pass shave no cuts no drama, close and just a bit of irritation (there was some pulling over some parts) and I did some buffing. The blade might be reaching the end of service for what I am used to.... (it's 9 single shaves....if counted head and face different#).

Maybe I"ll try again.....

but all in all this shave was good!!

TBH, I don't feel the desire to use another blade of the remaining Personna X-series to secure my findings.

Instead, I'd like to offer a

RE-PIF of the remaining two (fresh) mysteree Personna blades.

If anyone is interested to get them (for sure, I'll add some more blades, he he 😉 ) shoot me a PM with your full address, I'll ship worldwide, postage on me. First come, first serve.

I'd love to see someone using these rare blades, someone, who hasn't used them to date or enjoys shaving with them (more than I likely would).
Really, no one?

IMG_0198_1200x856.jpg

Eighteenth shave with the Personna X-Series (Platinum Coated) blade #1

Razor
Brush: The Shave Factory/Omega (Pro 49) (27mm Unbleached Boar)
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

The end is near?

While the FOCS/X-Series pairing delivered another quick, close shave, some niggling issues are creeping in. On the WTG pass, the very slight tugging that I experienced early on has begun to rear its head again. It is so minor that I almost hesitate to mention it. But it's there.

The ATG pass is still extremely smooth and comfortable; it has been thus since this blade's very first outing. On the other hand, the XTG pass exhibited increased blade-feel early on and this also has begun to appear again.

And, finally, I had to expend some extra energy on buffing again. This has become customary over the last few shaves. Fortunately, it has resulted in very little, if any, irritation during or afterward.

So, I think we might be nearing the end for this blade. I'll give it another try, tomorrow, and see how it goes. If it feels about the same, then I may continue to use it. Otherwise, it had a good run.

Top Bottom