What's new

One wallet that will last forever!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
You have pockets. As much stuff as you are talking about spread it out. Sitting on a wallet that would hold all that will eventually be painful.

Cards . . . hmmm. I keep all my point and affinity cards in my car. Just take them in with me when I get to the store. I read a story about a guy who scanned the bar codes onto one small paper. I'm not sure that would work.

Problem is for me, it's not the wear and tear, as I understand that like all items that gets a lot of use, wallets do eventually fall apart, so it's about getting the right configuration.

I need a change purse in it as I hate having loose change in pockets
I need a dual slot for bills, as I separate my money from other things such as tickets, notes, etc.
I need a hidden zippered pocket, very handy to put a few extra emergency bills, or papers that you don't want lost and such.
I need holders for several cards.
I need extra pockets to put the extra cards that I only use once in a while.

I have managed to find such wallets now and then, and when there's more than one, I'll get a spare as I've had times that my wallet would give out within 2-3 years, and I couldn't find a proper replacement for 2-3 years and had to use a mediocre one until I did find one.

I would love to see the day where one can have a card (or two) which could be "loaded" with the other cards. I know that in Asia, using a cell phone is starting to get there... and/or some stores just ask for your phone # and have a system that keeps your info and can ring it up right away.

If not for all these cards, my wallet would lost 1/2 an inch of thickness easily.

For those affinity cards, I believe there are smartphone apps to scan in the bar codes that you can later display back when checking out. Some cards use magnetic stripe so those wouldn't work, but NFC may eventually replace those. There is also this Create_a_Single_Card_for_All_Your_Reward_Cards website to create a consolidated plastic card of bar codes, to lighten the wallet. ...I am just waiting for NSA to perfect its facial recognition technology and make all these id cards redundant :scared:

Problem is for me, it's not the wear and tear, as I understand that like all items that gets a lot of use, wallets do eventually fall apart, so it's about getting the right configuration.

I need a change purse in it as I hate having loose change in pockets
I need a dual slot for bills, as I separate my money from other things such as tickets, notes, etc.
I need a hidden zippered pocket, very handy to put a few extra emergency bills, or papers that you don't want lost and such.
I need holders for several cards.
I need extra pockets to put the extra cards that I only use once in a while.

I have managed to find such wallets now and then, and when there's more than one, I'll get a spare as I've had times that my wallet would give out within 2-3 years, and I couldn't find a proper replacement for 2-3 years and had to use a mediocre one until I did find one.

I would love to see the day where one can have a card (or two) which could be "loaded" with the other cards. I know that in Asia, using a cell phone is starting to get there... and/or some stores just ask for your phone # and have a system that keeps your info and can ring it up right away.

If not for all these cards, my wallet would lost 1/2 an inch of thickness easily.

How does this look to you?

$WORKMAN-WEB-31_1024x1024.jpg

another vote for Corter Leather. Eric has made me two wallets, a belt, and a braclet...all are still in prime condition and getting better with wear. I've had both wallets over 5 years and don't see any reason to look for another. http://shop.corterleather.com/

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406758874.189023.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406758900.077741.jpg

This is my tobacco colored Saddleback after about 8mths now.
This is the small size and it has a dl, 1 cred card and 10 business cards in it. Closed its 1/2inch thick.

$030cjr_purple_black_purple-2_custom_large.jpg
Stunning but very expensive, This will be my next purchase. My last wallet was about £20 from amazon, it hasn't lasted a year!

Well, I am sold on Saddleback. I think I like his Slim Wallet the best. It won't have far to travel to my doorstep.

I have a Coach wallet. Bought it about 12 years ago - it is finally starting to show its age.

but it has been amazing!

I've got a Bosca. Nice color to it. Italian made. Not cheap, but the guy at the leather shop said he's had one for the last 20 years. He showed it to me and it looked pretty good.

For those interested in all things minimalist wallets, check out Steve's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/montelli101/videos

Great and informative review videos and a plethora of choices for smaller, thinner and high quality wallets. You'll find reviews of the Saddlebacks and many other brands, focusing on small leathercraft shops. The man is a true wallet aficionado. Here's a few front pocket style wallets I've purchased recently. The Ashland I bought (the Little New York) is in Horween Shell Cordovan leather, which is heavenly, and is also available in Chromexcel, which is equally exquisite. The Mitchell Money Clip wallet in Chromexcel is also highly recommended, as are any of the Ainste models, the Multiple in particular:

http://www.ashlandleather.com/Ashland-Leather-Wallets-s/1814.htm

http://shop.mitchell-leather.com/main.sc

http://www.ainste.com/collections/all

i have a mont blac 6cc wallet, lasted me 5 years and going, not the best condition because i dont treat it with care (creased edges, etc) but it looks like it can go another decade without a problem! and that ettinger wallet looks amazing with the colors ... might consider getting one!

Top Bottom