What's new

One wallet that will last forever!

give my vote to tanner goods.

new
$964799_10151458767148034_805636870_o.jpg

3 months of patina
$1065210_10151544443318034_599345749_o.jpg

i wear selvedge denim jeans almost every day, hence the indigo. it gets a lot of abuse.

Two years ago my wife picked up a Bottega Veneta wallet for me. They are ridiculously expensive, but after carrying it every day for two years to work in an office, for Army Reserve field duty, and for leisure, it still looksl like brand new. I can't recommend one highly enough!

I have a leather wallet from BigSkinny and it's pretty good as far as wallets go. I've never worn out a wallet but it shows no real signs of wear that I can see. I've had it for over 2 years now. It's nice and thin.

Been using a big skinny for several years now. I love this wallet. So thin and compresses everything.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
If you want lasting, full stop is the Rogue in Salmon Skin, front pocket, thin .. last one went ten years or so

$IMG_6556.jpg

My saddleback wallet looks perfect after 2.5 years of use. The cards inside however, take a bit of abuse from the leather.

Have looked at that wallet for a while. How bulky is it compared to other wallets?

Kinda bulky before it breaks in. After that, no thicker than most leather wallets. Looks gorgeous! It's rather minimalist, especially compared to most of SBL's stuff (this is coming from an SBL fan).

Pacsafe/walletsafe...been using one of these for a number of year.
Rugged, tri-fold.

For something slimmer (front pocket) RFID card holder. Durable over the last year.
Hard outer shell. Weak point is the closure snap.

Tanner Goods
Makr
Friday and River
General Manufacturing Concern
Chester Mox
Corter Leather and Cloth

All made in the US.

I decided to not buy anything from Saddleback.

question to those that do own a sting ray wallet .. how is the leather finish? is it rough? or smooth? does it has the texture? .. I got intrigued :detective:

As for being indestructible .. i'm sure that is the case .. because there is some ancient pieces of leather in old Japanese swords .. also on high end Do (part of Kendo lower torso armor) that takes up tons of beating from a bamboo stick, with no sign of any wear and tear.

about the sword .. the stingray leather goes on the handle under the wrapping .. unprocessed it has rough dotted surface that is like sandpaper .. which helps to keep the wrapping in place when done right.

Last edited:
Problem is for me, it's not the wear and tear, as I understand that like all items that gets a lot of use, wallets do eventually fall apart, so it's about getting the right configuration.

I need a change purse in it as I hate having loose change in pockets
I need a dual slot for bills, as I separate my money from other things such as tickets, notes, etc.
I need a hidden zippered pocket, very handy to put a few extra emergency bills, or papers that you don't want lost and such.
I need holders for several cards.
I need extra pockets to put the extra cards that I only use once in a while.

I have managed to find such wallets now and then, and when there's more than one, I'll get a spare as I've had times that my wallet would give out within 2-3 years, and I couldn't find a proper replacement for 2-3 years and had to use a mediocre one until I did find one.

I would love to see the day where one can have a card (or two) which could be "loaded" with the other cards. I know that in Asia, using a cell phone is starting to get there... and/or some stores just ask for your phone # and have a system that keeps your info and can ring it up right away.

If not for all these cards, my wallet would lost 1/2 an inch of thickness easily.

imfallen_angel, I think your search is going to be a bit difficult for the moment, as the trend now seems to be minimalist and "slim your wallet."

IMO, if I really think about it, I don't need but my driver's license, one credit card, my bank card, my insurance card, a wallet size photo of my girl in a bikini (haha) and a slot for bills... so a six slot billfold would work. But I understand your requirements are understandably different... But again, at least for now, the "trend" is minimalist.

Top Bottom