What's new

The R41, Fatip and Pearl: A shaving guide to the three most aggressive safety razors

An excellent write-up. Very well done and comprehensive. :thumbup:

Thanks! Just thought I would give a hand to those new to DE shaving, who are starting to look for an open comb. As with everything in life, you get a true perspective of things when time passes by. I'd like also to emphasise: For those with tough beards, it is not absolutely necessary to go for an open-comb razor. Still if you want to try an open-comb, a Pearl would be a good [and safe] start. They say the Parker 24C and 26C open combs are realtively mild, but I don't have one to confirm that. I might buy one this year though :lol:. For the time being 45 razors is quite enough, don't you think?

Amen. My Tech beats my R41 hands down. I will not lie, it took me a while to master, but once I did, I found it to be the best Razor , besides the most aggressive I've ever used. I have 2 Ikon Tech heads put away out of fear Ikon decides to discontinue. Before I bought my backups a few weeks ago, I had sent my Tech to a friend for a project. I busted out my R41, even applied my trusty shims, and it was so sadly to outclassed in every way. Tech is the best.

The OP's opening post here was very well done, I enjoyed this thread.

I use the H2 Atlas daily about 95% of the time, but I went with the 2013 R41 this morning to mix it up a little. I had a spectacular two-pass DFS (WTG then a combination XTG/ATG on the second pass)... Face-lathering with Proraso Green and using a Polsilver SI followed by a generous splash of Aqua Velva :lol:

Last edited:
muhle r41 2011 still is the most aggressive modern safety razor
is more aggressive than merkur vision wide open and still has the nod even by a small margin
and a scale more efficient than ikon shavecraft tech

Continuing where I left off...

So I'd said I was going to put the GSB into my 39C today for a back-to-back comparison with the Piccolo. I did do that, but because I didn't want my Piccolo to feel left out, after completing the face shave with the 39C I moved the GSB into the Piccolo for a head shave (my 2nd with the razor). Before I get to that, I should note that my jawline was actually still somewhat sore this morning from yesterday's shave, surprising me as I hadn't originally thought it was that bad.

Same prep, soap as method as before.

FACE SHAVE (Merkur 39C): Without going into great detail, it was a pleasing, easy, and relatively quick shave. 100% BBS everywhere except underside of chin (which was "pretty good" at perhaps an 8/10 for closeness today whereas yesterday using same blade in the Piccolo was a 5 or 6 there). I somehow drew 4 tiny spots of blood on my neck during one of the passes - they disappeared with a wipe of lather, and I think sealed before I rinsed off. 12 hours post shave, I was still 100% BBS all directions, now at 15 hours, I'm just starting to feel hair come in. No new irritation, though even as I type this I can still feel where the Piccolo got me.

HEAD SHAVE (Piccolo): This was my 2nd Piccolo head shave, 1st with the GSB (in any razor), and 17th DE head shave to date. It was easy, it was quick, it was BBS, it was blood free. 16 minutes from start to finish including lathering. This was without a doubt the best DE head shave I've had since switching to DE. No nicks/no weepers. Good job, Piccolo! I'll have to use this blade in the 39C next head shave for comparison... which means I'll set this blade aside and reuse yesterday's Feather blade again tomorrow.

---
I know I'm still in early days with the Piccolo, but at this point, it seems to me that
... the Piccolo's supposed higher level of aggressiveness compared to the 39C does not seem to provide me a closer face shave or a more efficient face shave - in fact it the opposite. It would say the Piccolo is likely more forgiving than the 39C in terms of blood letting, but not razor burn. The Piccolo/GSB combo is awesome for head shaving.

I'll continue to experiment with the Piccolo and will post an update here should I find a breakthrough that finally wows me.

---

Oh, and regarding the from-the-factory top plate scratches:
I was able to polish out most of the finer scratches by hand with metail polish (creating many micro scratches in the process), but some of scratches, which I've circled below (because reflections make the top plate hard to photograph clearly) are too deep to do anything about. I'm going to contact Fatip. There's no reason scratches like that should be passing QC, if they have such a thing.

View attachment 640137

Those indentations are on the brass under the plating so they won't polish out. Fatip either have zero quality control or the controller has an alcohol problem. That's just how it is. The only way to get Fatip to improve quality is for us Forum members to stop recommending these razors. Then Fatip will either sink or up their game to survive. They'll continue to churn out junk if we keep buying them. By junk I'm not referring to aesthetics I'm referring to many peoples razor that just couldn't hold a blade straight, and those whose razors fell apart. Locating pins or screw studs falling off.

You may well be experiencing a different result with yours because your razor is very different from anybody else's. No two Fatips appear to be the same. My Fatip Grande was a monster of a shaver. The 2013 R42 I had on loan was a ***** cat in comparison.

is more aggressive than merkur vision wide open and still has the nod even by a small margin
Yeah I strongly disagree. The ikon tech is world's better than the r41. Better in every way. Learn the Tech and you have a perfect razor. I'm getting a Wolfman this week , made aggressive and hope to find it comparable, but I cannot even use my R41 anymore.

I had a Cadet. It was a really nice razor, but I ended up selling it. It was too aggressive for daily use. Heck, the first time I used it, I got a terrible case of razor burn.

muhle r41 2011 poses almost 100% horizontal blade angle compared to ikon shavecraft tech
the most important factor for efficiency is blade angle and if combined with blade exposure the second most important factor as it happens with r 41 2011 then i think everyone who understands blade geometry can assume which is more efficient compared to ikon shavecraft tech
other experienced commentators that used a lot of razors confirm that still muhle 2011 is a champ
ikon bends the blade more than muhle and this indicates shallower angle ie not as direct as with muhle

$z8ltopm.jpg$BladeAngles.jpg$E0W1o40.jpg$Bu5mggU.jpg
Yeah I strongly disagree. The ikon tech is world's better than the r41. Better in every way. Learn the Tech and you have a perfect razor. I'm getting a Wolfman this week , made aggressive and hope to find it comparable, but I cannot even use my R41 anymore.

Last edited:
Well I have shaved with both, and IMHO Tech beats it. I'm talking about the results on my face, so I cannot argue with your statistics , I don't even have the knowledge to do so, but in my experience, Tech wins. I might also add that I'm not alone in this opinion, so for sake of peace and
harmony in our world, I would say it's a crap shoot based on personal experience. Taking measurements and making a concrete statement cannot and should not be done. I said I disagree with the statement, and for my face I still do.

Well I have shaved with both, and IMHO Tech beats it. I'm talking about the results on my face, so I cannot argue with your statistics , I don't even have the knowledge to do so, but in my experience, Tech wins. I might also add that I'm not alone in this opinion, so for sake of peace and
harmony in our world, I would say it's a crap shoot based on personal experience. Taking measurements and making a concrete statement cannot and should not be done. I said I disagree with the statement, and for my face I still do.

Well said, big70tom. Many of us feel the same way. [MENTION=109896]petrakos[/MENTION], have you used both the Ikon Tech and the R41 2011? It really is based on personal experience, not pictures.

Although I haven't shaved with the Ikon Tech or 2011 R41 I can still agree with the above two posts. The two Fatips I shaved with were way more aggressive than the 2013 R41. The 2013 R41 has a steeper angle built in which feels aggressive and is efficient but regrowth after 24 hours showed it actually isn't that aggressive.

wrong buddy the Chinese Futur is the most aggressive modern safety razor ever made

my conclusions are based and on other commentators and experienced shavers with years in forums that used more razors than you and me and also the argument i posed say the same thing
Well said, big70tom. Many of us feel the same way. @petrakos, have you used both the Ikon Tech and the R41 2011? It really is based on personal experience, not pictures.

wrong buddy the Chinese Futur is the most aggressive modern safety razor ever made

I have both the 2011 R41 and the chinese Futur clone. I use the latter wide open and it still does not shave as close as the 2011 R41 based on how long the BBS shave lasts. It does expose more blade at the edge and does not forgive any mistakes, but despite that is not quite the equal of the 2011. It is fun to use though because it is sooo loud.

Must get me a Tech to compare.

I have both the 2011 R41 and the chinese Futur clone. I use the latter wide open and it still does not shave as close as the 2011 R41 based on how long the BBS shave lasts. It does expose more blade at the edge and does not forgive any mistakes, but despite that is not quite the equal of the 2011. It is fun to use though because it is sooo loud.

Must get me a Tech to compare.

Done. it's on the way.

Top Bottom