What's new

Once Upon A Stubble

Date: Jun 9, 2020 (Day 44)

Gear: Merkur 34G, Astra SP(1), TOBS St. James, Simpsons Chubby 1 Super, Mkeramiek ceramic bowl

Cond: 2-3mm whiskers

Prep: hot shower and water rinse, lather pre-shave rub-in, cold water rinse, Taconic Pre-shave oil

Shave:
1st pass WTG 90% finished; WTG under chin
2nd pass 10% WTG/XTG under nose, XTG/ATG on chin and under chin
3rd pass to clean up

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum block, Lucky Tiger and Nivea

Conclusion:

BBS-, but felt ever so slightly rawer than previous two shaves. Utilizing a new blade does make the razor felt slightly more efficient and tiny bit more 'aggressive' or blade feel. But this rocking the great feedback of the razor, the lightweight of the razor and audible feedback is quite direct, and I almost know whether my angle is slightly off or whenever I am shaving the last bit of stubbles.

Though I suspect there may exist some design that could be even more supportive to the blade and making it feel more 'solid', the milder nature and small blade gap of this razor makes it feel quite solid as is. I really can't even remotely feel any kind of blade chatter, and it's a great thing.

One interesting observation is my own efficiency with this razor is also going up. Even I've only shaven with this couple of times, but with the obvious finger and audible feedback, it's easy to find the 'right' angle and instantly self correct whenever I need to.

Face feel normal in 1 hour after Alum and Lucky Tiger

Last weeper/irritation with this razor: 3rd shave, none so far

I've known Chi for a few years before he came here. I won't stop him buying nice stuff no matter what I say :lol:
:lol: Couple more tests with few other razors, but I could totally see myself settling with this razor as my baseline, and halt my RAD for a while. Brush and soap on the other hand, is a separate matter...:facep::biggrin:

You've made a discovery most miss and many even disagree with when I've said the very same without even using any of those razors or their clones with the exception of the R41.

The R41 is one razor that will shave differently from the herd of Merkur clones because of the increased blade exposure. The blade support system in the base however, is identical.

DE89
View attachment 1110654
R41
View attachment 1110655
Rockwell
View attachment 1110656

The Rockwell may have its support points slightly more widely set but its still the same design. I believe this design was originally patented by Merkur and when the patent ran out, it became much copied. Many of the no name Chinese clones also use the same design. Its the most copied razor design I've seen.

Yeah I was. With a hard quick fling a Fatip would do some damage lol.

If you want mild, try a Gentile. If you're in the UK and want to save VAT or taxes, like I do at every opportunity, try ordering from Maggard and use their inexpensive international shipping option.

Mike, thanks for these wondering pix and that explains a lot. Maybe the slightly wider Rockwell setup is what contributes to smoothness that everybody claim it has?

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to testing the Gillete camp of razors, and one of them, as you've recommended a post-war Gillete Tech. It looks awfully lot like the AS-D2, and after shaving and slowly improving, I am sure I would appreciate the design of AS-D2 more if I get to shave with it again later on.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike, thanks for these wondering pix and that explains a lot. Maybe the slightly wider Rockwell setup is what contributes to smoothness that everybody claim it has?

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to testing the Gillete camp of razors, and one of them, as you've recommended a post-war Gillete Tech. It looks awfully lot like the AS-D2, and after shaving and slowly improving, I am sure I would appreciate the design of AS-D2 more if I get to shave with it again later on.

I think an advantage the Rockwell has is weight. Momentum makes a difference.

I've read mixed feelings on the AS-D2. Some dont find them as smooth as others do. I believe the post war Tech is a slightly more rigid design but I'm not 100% sure.

Date: Jun 13, 2020 (Day 45)

Gear: Merkur 34G, Astra SP(2), TOBS St. James, Simpsons Chubby 1 Super, Mkeramiek ceramic bowl

Prep: hot water rinse, lather pre-shave rub-in, cold water rinse, Taconic Pre-shave oil

Shave:
3rd pass to clean up

Conclusion:

DFS+/BBS- Another good shave with the Merkur 34G and Astra SP, it is pretty much smooth sailing almost right from the start till the end. The age old saying of 'no news is good news' is indeed true in the world of wet shaving, a smooth uneventful shave with decent result is far better than any melodrama that keep your heart pounding.

Good news about two Gillette razors that I have waiting to arrive, what used to be a 10 days delivery has now taken almost 1.5 months to arrive. I think after this trial with 34G, I would briefly revert back to Rockwell @R3 for a couple of shave. I just so desperately want to know how do these two razors compared and I would probably proceed to test the Gillette Tech which I heard so much about.

Face feel normal in 20 min after Alum and Lucky Tiger

Last weeper/irritation with this razor: 4th shave, none so far

I think an advantage the Rockwell has is weight. Momentum makes a difference.

I've read mixed feelings on the AS-D2. Some dont find them as smooth as others do. I believe the post war Tech is a slightly more rigid design but I'm not 100% sure.
I ought to find sometime and take good close up photo of all these razors for comparison sake. The momentum does make a difference, but personally, I think there is more advantage of using a lighter razor than a heavier one, since it offers more feedback(heavier razor is harder to vibrate due to the weight) and potentially more finite control of the razor.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I ought to find sometime and take good close up photo of all these razors for comparison sake. The momentum does make a difference, but personally, I think there is more advantage of using a lighter razor than a heavier one, since it offers more feedback(heavier razor is harder to vibrate due to the weight) and potentially more finite control of the razor.

Familiarity being a key point. Its all what we get use to using.

Date: Jun 16, 2020 (Day 46)

Gear: Merkur 34G, Astra SP(3), TOBS St. James, Simpsons Chubby 1 Super, Mkeramiek ceramic bowl

Prep: hot water rinse, lather pre-shave rub-in, cold water rinse, Taconic Pre-shave oil

Shave:
3rd-5th a lot of buffing with lather, chasing BBS

Conclusion:

BBS, first true BBS for me, and I have to admit I did chase after it.

In retrospect, I think it is a calculated risk for me. I felt of all the razors I have tried, this razor has all the 'ingredients' for me to trust it enough to 'chase' after a BBS. It's light weight(no uncontrollable inertia) with good audible and finger feedback, and mild enough to leave room to err.

What I discovered over the past few months was that my stubble is much stubborn that I thought it would. It will usually take 1-2 passes to get me to CCS/DFS, and not everywhere is even shaved. So it is various degree of buffing here and there, to eventually get to the BBS.

Since I did buff quite a bit, the sharper sting from Alum is back which I haven't felt that for a while now. Nonetheless, I hope as technique improve, the BBS could come easier with less buff and passes.

Last weeper/irritation with this razor: 5th shave, none so far

Date: Jun 20, 2020 (Day 47)

Gear: Merkur 34G, Astra SP(4), TOBS St. James, Simpsons Chubby 1 Super, Mkeramiek ceramic bowl

Cond: 3mm whiskers

Shave:
2nd pass 5% WTG/XTG under nose, XTG/ATG on chin and under chin
3rd pass another 5%
4th-5th mostly some mild buffing

Conclusion:

DFS+ After chasing the BBS last shave, I figure I should tune it back slightly bit and not to chase after it too aggressively. This is the first time I use a blade past 3 times, and I don't know how Al did it for dozens of use, I surely could have sworn I felt the blade is slightly duller than previous times.

This is the last of the Merkur 34G trials, and I can now totally see why the 34 is recommended for beginner use. The mild shave does leave more room to err, and the great audible and handle feedback will immediately let you know whether you are shaving at the right angle or not. I am so tempted to just call this my baseline, but there are few more razors in line to be tested and don't just want to settle on the first razor I really like and call it a day.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of merits in all the adjustables I have tested. Especially the Rockwell 6S, since it is quite smooth with no chatter of blade, and the workmanship is impeccable. But what adjustable is suitable for whom is totally subjective, personally I would love to find/use an adjustable where the middle setting suits my current preference of mild shave. So it would leave me room to play with either room. In that sense, Merkur Futur is probably not for me at all, since even at setting 1 I felt it is plenty aggressive.

Next razor, I think I gonna revert back to Rockwell 6S R3 for a shave or two, since I have a strong feeling the Merkur 34G is pretty mild, and it might be even milder than R4 I previously tested. But after that, I will move onto Gillette razors, which I have been longing to try.

Face feel normal in 15 min after Alum and Lucky Tiger

Last weeper/irritation with this razor: 6th shave, none so far

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
What I discovered over the past few months was that my stubble is much stubborn that I thought it would. It will usually take 1-2 passes to get me to CCS/DFS, and not everywhere is even shaved.

That sounds to me like angle or direction needs closer investigation in those areas. Either that, or you might need to explore skin stretching there

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This is the first time I use a blade past 3 times, and I don't know how Al did it for dozens of use, I surely could have sworn I felt the blade is slightly duller than previous times.

My highest shave count is 34, which was with a Feather. I think Astra SP did 26.

Check out the Excaliber Club here. Those guys are regularly hitting 100+

That sounds to me like angle or direction needs closer investigation in those areas. Either that, or you might need to explore skin stretching there
I think the main problem is still under the nose, especially right under the nose. Most area I could get away with a 1 pass, but unless I go XTG right away, WTG always leave 10-20% right under the nose. But the problem is less an issue if the razor has a thinner head.

Congratulations on finding an even closer BBS than you recently had.
Thank you! Though it is not very consistent, I am rather happy where this is heading.(at least for now) :biggrin:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think the main problem is still under the nose, especially right under the nose. Most area I could get away with a 1 pass, but unless I go XTG right away, WTG always leave 10-20% right under the nose. But the problem is less an issue if the razor has a thinner head.

Ahh, I see what you mean. My most awkward spot is my neck crease, directly under the goatee. It grows horizontal there, but I can't get my head back far enough to shave horizontally due to neck/balance issues. I'd either cut myself, or end up upside down in the laundry basket :lol1:

Ahh, I see what you mean. My most awkward spot is my neck crease, directly under the goatee. It grows horizontal there, but I can't get my head back far enough to shave horizontally due to neck/balance issues. I'd either cut myself, or end up upside down in the laundry basket :lol1:
It may sound kinda funny, but would you ever consider laying on a couch and try shaving that part? For all we know, it beats the laundry basket by miles and who knows--it could be strangely satisfying. :a30: :biggrin:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It may sound kinda funny, but would you ever consider laying on a couch and try shaving that part? For all we know, it beats the laundry basket by miles and who knows--it could be strangely satisfying. :a30: :biggrin:

:lol: No, I'll stick to what I'm doing. :) It's a bit tricky, but I can still get a decent shave using the guillotine approach (what some call the Gillette slide)

Date: Jun 26, 2020 (Day 48)

Gear: Rockwell 6S @ setting R3, Astra SP(1), TOBS St. James, Simpsons Chubby 1 Super, Mkeramiek ceramic bowl

Cond: 4-5mm whiskers

Shave:
(It was 10 days ago, can't vividly remember how many passes, but I do remember it was rather efficient, comparable to Merkur 34G)

Conclusion:
Sorry for the much belated update, life has gotten rather busy in the past week or two.

DFS+

I broke the testing 'protocol' since I was so etching to give this a try--I was really curious where would a 'beginner's favorite' like Merkur 34G stand in comparison to Rockwell 6S, which is a pretty popular adjustable on the forum.

I think the Rockwell 6S @ setting 3 compares quite closely to the 34G in term of blade feel and aggressiveness(maybe ever so slightly more aggressive?), but because of 6S being much heavier than 34G, it was pretty much a 'let the razor do all the work' instead of 'very light pressure' on the 34G.

That once again got me curious--would 34G aggressiveness/efficiency falls between R2 and R3 of Rockwell 6S? But I will wait till much later days to find out about that. Meanwhile, onward to Gillette Post War Tech, which I have long anticipated...

Face feel normal in 15 min after Alum and Lucky Tiger

Last weeper/irritation with this razor: none today

Date: July 2, 2020 (Day 49)

Gear: Gillette Post War Ball-end Tech, Astra SP(2), TOBS St. James, Simpsons Chubby 1 Super, Mkeramiek ceramic bowl

Cond: 5mm whiskers

Shave:
1st pass WTG 75-80% finished; WTG under chin
3rd pass another 10%
Few buffing here and there to chase the BBS

Conclusion:

BBS shave with the first trial of Gillette Post War Tech. This is ridiculously good, Mike, thank you for pointing me into this razor. This surely is a real gem.

The Gillette Post War Ball End Tech is surely the mildest razor I have tried so far. It really is so mild that I felt there could be no harm done. I kinda went straight ahead to 'chase' the BBS since I felt that safe and confident with this razor. But in retrospect, over zealousness probably is never a good thing in wet shaving. Should have taken it more easy, in case any misbehaves happened(luckily, it didn't, but it felt awfully close).

It reminded me a lot about the Feather AS-D2, which I tried a long while ago. The light weight of the razor, like 34G, provides very good instant feedback to hand, and probably more tactile than the AS D2.

I think I probably didn't do as good a job about optimizing the angle, since I was that excited. But next time around, I would try to focus more on the technique than abusing how safe is the shave and keep doing multiple passes.

One strange thought comes into mind--I wonder this is such a mild razor, would it be the best razor to cultivate better technique? I am sure it will force me to find more accurate angle, but how about the zero pressure?

Last weeper/irritation with this razor: none today

Top Bottom