What's new

October 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

Fatip Open Comb Slant
Astor Stainless (4)
Shavemac 2-Band Fan 24mm
Razorock American Barber
Epsilon Blue Mediterranean

IMG-3523.jpg

Still in.

Going on strong and no interest in anything (yet) shave related.

I've received the Speick shaving stick ordered last month after being out for the Tabac purchase (FOMO) and it turned out to be Vegan formula Speick shaving stick!

A true blessings in disguise -
I never used Speick (tallow) and now I will never use it as well.

Since I never knew how it was I won't miss it, Yay!

Today is a festival special shave - Vijayadashmi festival

We get together with the family and close friends, have a grand time together and forgoes all the bad things about each other and moves on with a positive attitude.

This shave is totally dedicated to my friends whom I met here and now considered part of my family.

IMG_20211015_204400.jpg

Wishing you all a great weekend ahead.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
What a way to start the day... an old Gillette Silver Blue blade going strong in my red tip Super Speed; a Chubby 2 synthetic brush loaded- I mean LOADED- with JM Fraser's Shave Cream, which created a world class lather, as always; and then a most posh finish- Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet balm and EdT. I use this stuff probably 5 times a year because I'm "saving it for a special occasion." Just before they lay me in the ground amid nettles and stones they can pour the BB all over my corpse. That'll be a special occasion. It's time to stop saving things for 'special occasions.' I'm getting too old. Use it up.

Now that I've depressed everyone, hear this: I'm still in.

Still in.

Pre-shave: Stirling Unscented facial soap
Brush: Stirling Kong 2 band synthetic
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Lather: Oz Shaving Pumpkin Head Jack
Aftershave: Cold water + alum, Oz Shaving Pumpkin Head Jack Aftershave

Finally I'm noticing a really clear difference with blade usage. After using a fresh Feather yesterday, today's third use of this Astra Blade was way more "tuggy" and required going back over areas.

This was my first use of a soap from Oz. The base was good - very easy to obtain a really thick lather from this tallow soap, but it wasn't the most slick. I was somewhat disappointed in the scent however. A more savory/deeper spin on pumpkin was attractive, but the scent doesn't have much intensity, and the aftershave especially has very little staying power. Less than an hour after finishing my shave, I have only a light leathery scent. And I only get a whiff of pumpkin because I know that's what I'm supposed to smell. Disappointing, but I'll sample on because the soap was pretty nice.

Last edited:
Still in. Did look through my email from Stirling soaps concerning their sale now and a few of their sale items are of interest, but deleted the email and trying to ignore it.

I've really been enjoying Proraso Red lately. It will be getting a lot of love this season.

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: Tailor of old Bond St Sandalwood
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T1
Razor: Gillette E2 Fatboy setting 7, (wtg & xtg) setting 3 (atg)
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic (1)
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Fuar Ach Snog

The Fatboy has delivered another enjoyable bbs shave. Also I think I'm getting better at lathering the Sandalwood soap, I haven't found the sweetspot yet, but I'm starting to like using this soap.

I've really been enjoying Proraso Red lately. It will be getting a lot of love this season.

I've got my first tube of Proraso Red in the shave den after years of only using green. I'll use and love it eventually but the call of the TOBS Sandalwood is just too strong.

Razor: Blackland Vector Titanium
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (4)
Brush: Graydog Chechen / AP Shave Co. 26mm G5A (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Classic - Rawhide
Uber Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Cream with Talbot Trust Soap
Aftershave: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Splash

Had a great shave today, the Uber lather with TOBS and Talbot is phenomenal. Smooth and problem free shave.

Weird thing today, I had last used the Jermyn Street cream 2 weeks ago and it was perfectly fine. Today the consistency was not cream like, more like a soap and it had no scent at all, zero. The lid was done up tight after my last use as it was tough to get off today and I had bought it last summer so just over a year old. There’s about a third left so I’ll spray some of the AS on it and mix it up, see if I can bring some scent back to it.

1D384F26-7D02-4A52-B7CA-9C0BEA525A12.jpeg

Still in.
Yesterday's was a SR shave with Thiers Issard 6/8, Simpsons Chubby 3 Manchurian, SV soap.

Today's shave was early afternoon, I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to shave with SR so went with a nice DE shave.

Rocnel Sailor 2021
Wilkinson Super Sword Edge english blade
Simpsons emperor 3 super
SV Tundra Artica 4.1 Soap and AS

A great shave, very therapeutic all round!

I've had a few packages finally arrive from France yesterday, so that has kept me busy and not buying more.

I likewise had to send that Stirling email straight to the garbage. Ergo: still in.

Pre-shave: Stirling Unscented facial soap
Brush: Stirling Kong 2 band synthetic
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless (2)
Lather: Grooming Department Tao
Aftershave: Cold water + alum, hyaluronic acid, Seaforth! Heather A/S

It feels good to say "Yuck!" about a soap after finding so many I like. Lather on this was fine, if somewhat thin. Smells like nothing but bitter floral (rose?) to me. Heather was required to freshen up.

Top Bottom