What's new

October 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Down the home stretch and I am still in!
Merkur Progress 510 @ Level 3​
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White Fan​
Soap: Proraso Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​

proxy.php

November is right around the corner, so here's the thread:

Come one, come all, and beat the ADs during the holidays!

This one might be a tough one. I am starting a restocking list, but when the time comes, I might need clarification between what is restocking and what is treewhaling. Plus, with the holidays approaching, I can see it getting tough not to request something as a gift.

This one might be a tough one. I am starting a restocking list, but when the time comes, I might need clarification between what is restocking and what is treewhaling. Plus, with the holidays approaching, I can see it getting tough not to request something as a gift.
Do what I did... Go out in a blaze of glory in the October GRUME and buy more than you can afford before the November GRUME starts. Easy peasy.

I now cannot afford any shaving gear in November, so a GRUME should be a breeze. 👍

Still in, on the home straight. Just need to ignore a few e-mails from the usual suspects...

Preshave: Hot washcloth, trying no oil for a change
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #12, GC.68, Personna #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Skipping pre-shave oil, I got an easy near-BBS, but there was slightly more post-shave sting. It's cheap, so there's not much incentive to skip it.

Still in!

Lather - Mike's Natural Lime
Brush - Omega 10098
Razor - PAA BOCS w/ Treet Platinum (2)
Post - Alum block

Great shave in the evening. I didn't chase the BBS this time and ended with a comfortable result. Mike's Lime soap really lathered up beautifully this time around.

I was EXTREMELY temped by a couple of Elite Razor brushes last night. (Dang October 20% off handles coupon!) I had a couple of handles and knots in my cart trying to decide which set to order. I ended up not pulling the trigger, but was mighty close...

So, I am still in!!!!
Strop: Tony Miller​
Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8 Full Hollow Spanish Point​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted (‘rotten wood‘) Maple - Full Moon Synthetic 26mm​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​

proxy.php

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Wilkinson boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #1, GC.68, Personna #5
Post-shave: Brut AS, Nivea Balm.

Despite a "lively" fresh Astra, got less of a post-shave sting using the oil, so it's worth it for me.

Bought a new SSD for one of my computers, and was amused/horrified to see that there were 500 Astras in the cart, which of course I removed.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
So this morning I see that Paladin are offering a 24mm knot in a Chubby 1 size handle, and my tortured disordered heart wants... well, you know what it wants...

Today's shave was outstanding. A relatively cold, quite rainy day, and no responsibilities at work that can't be handled with this laptop. I went sandalwood. Shark in the Super Speed, a Zenith Manchurian, Proraso 'red' soap, and DR Harris Sandalwood after shave. I find it a bit oily, but the DRH Sandalwood splash is great for rough skin. It even has camphor.

I just can't believe that I'm sitting here having to argue with myself about buying that Paladin... I guess I see why Eastern Orthodox monks grow beards down to here... they never have to learn to extricate themselves from a disordered attachment to brushes, soaps, razors, and after shave.

Top Bottom