What's new

October 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

So this morning I see that Paladin are offering a 24mm knot in a Chubby 1 size handle, and my tortured disordered heart wants... well, you know what it wants...

Today's shave was outstanding. A relatively cold, quite rainy day, and no responsibilities at work that can't be handled with this laptop. I went sandalwood. Shark in the Super Speed, a Zenith Manchurian, Proraso 'red' soap, and DR Harris Sandalwood after shave. I find it a bit oily, but the DRH Sandalwood splash is great for rough skin. It even has camphor.

I just can't believe that I'm sitting here having to argue with myself about buying that Paladin... I guess I see why Eastern Orthodox monks grow beards down to here... they never have to learn to extricate themselves from a disordered attachment to brushes, soaps, razors, and after shave.

As @KQY61 writes in his signature: " The Key to Success in a Restraint is to Stop Looking! "

Besides, how different/better could it be than the real thing which I am almost certain that you already own?

Nice SOTD! :)

So this morning I see that Paladin are offering a 24mm knot in a Chubby 1 size handle, and my tortured disordered heart wants... well, you know what it wants...

Today's shave was outstanding. A relatively cold, quite rainy day, and no responsibilities at work that can't be handled with this laptop. I went sandalwood. Shark in the Super Speed, a Zenith Manchurian, Proraso 'red' soap, and DR Harris Sandalwood after shave. I find it a bit oily, but the DRH Sandalwood splash is great for rough skin. It even has camphor.

I just can't believe that I'm sitting here having to argue with myself about buying that Paladin... I guess I see why Eastern Orthodox monks grow beards down to here... they never have to learn to extricate themselves from a disordered attachment to brushes, soaps, razors, and after shave.
Stay strong, the end is in sight!

Still here:
Strop: Tony Miller​
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Poplar w/ 24 mm Plisson​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Aftershave: Proraso After Shave Balm, Cypress & Vetyver​

proxy.php

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #2, GC.68, Personna #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

A relaxing BBS. Astra SPs are perfect once they are run in.

I don't expect to conjure up a better result with other hardware, so it's mostly the curiosity and shiny stuff that I have to contend with now.

OK, that and blade-hoarding.

Still in! Tempted again last night, but held strong.
Merkur Progress 510 @ Level 3​
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm​

Gentlemen ..... My kudos to us all ! It has certainly been a true pleasure and a lot of fun
sharing this GRUME with you fine gents. Saturday morning will be my last shave during
October, and I'm still in ! I may even keep going through November. We shall see .....
Elite Razors Manchurian Badger, TOBS Lavender, Maggard's MR5-v.3 with a Nacet, and a
finishing splash of Lucky Tiger. A sublime shave for the weekend. Happy Halloween !

B8F19FBF-7A82-4C67-83CE-4C4B08890332.jpeg

Happy Halloween Folks!
I'm still in and have made it through the GRUME. I won't be joining in the Nov. GRUME, there are some samples I want to try and held off from during October.

1915 Gillette Single Ring
Personna Israeli Red (1)
Tabac stick
Omega 10065 boar
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Made it through another month. Posting in this GRUME thread regularly really helps. Thanks as always to @FoolishMortal for serving as Clerk-of-the-Works once again.

For my last October shave I took the vintage Gillette OC New Improved out for one last spin, loaded with an aging Shark on its last shave. The plush Chubby 2 in Super made a ton of decadent lather from Simpsons Unscented Luxury cream. Finished with vintage Gillette Sun Up.

On to November!

Top Bottom