What's new

October 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

October is crushing me - no spare time for forums or much else. Still in, though!

SOTD
  • NEW SC
  • Nacet (2)
  • Tabac!
  • SOC Taj handle boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
My thin-cap Old Type wrecked me a few days ago, so I laid off to let my face heal. It's been quite some time since I had to do that! The NEW SC gave a sublime shave today and I'm back in the saddle.

That's lovely. Sorry to see you go, but please feel free to play along at home.

Out ......

Couldn’t resist this pair. Just placed the winning bid. :frown2:

View attachment 1169907
Those are CLEAN!

And when a brother (or two) falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) ‘Bout Time - out (10/17: Schick x2)
3) @Jmp63
4) @cryhavoc
5) @Owen Bawn
6) @Flintstone65
7) @Timeclo
8) @SillyPancake
9) @Sotiris_A
10) @BobbyB
11) @RookieGuy
12) @Tarak83
13) @BigD
14) @Schnitzel52
15) SharpieB - out (10/7: SJoL Soap x5)
16) @Stuart Ganis
17) @Chef455
18) @Roedeer
19) Tomo - out (10/13: Black Arkansas Stone)
20) JWCowboy - out (10/2: CG Everyday)
21) mattps1 - out (10/8: New Big Boy Deluxe)
22) @Adam18
23) ajduplessis - out (10/15: Thiers SR)
24) Sinnbad11 - out (10/8: Mongoose SE)
25) StratMan - out (10/7: Muhle Rocca V4)
26) @Vaporstang
27) hcoop111 - out (10/19: mystery item/s)

Sigh..im out >_> when it gets here ill show what made me go out..

Well, I didn't see you on the list, but I'm assuming that you were on a personal GRUME, so...added and out, in one fell swoop. :D

Last edited:
I’m in need of a ruling. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and naturally I said a razor. However the razor I am interested I’ve heard has an up to 6 week waiting period. So my lovely wife wants me to figure out what I want and then place the order for her for me. So it will hopefully be here before Christmas, so that she can wrap it and put it under the tree until December 25th.
Rule “3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask (or even hint) for shaving gear as gifts for any occasion.”
Would this be in violation of this rule or the GRUME?
Edit: the order has not been placed yet, wanted to see what the thought was here first.

IMHO, you are out when your wife pays for the razor, since you asked for the present. Could it wait until the end of the month?

Agreed. Don't ask, don't fail...or something like that.

Still in ..... Yes indeed.
This evening's shave allowed my to enjoy some old friends.
Jack Black Supreme Cream, bowl lathered with my RazoRock Plissoft,
smoothly shaved with my Maggard's MR-5/v.3 with a Nacet (4), and then
finished off with a few splashes of Lucky Tiger. Sublime shaving at its best !

816D993D-9E88-4475-85AB-25CB15813F9B.jpeg

I am GRUME!

Strop: Tony Miller​
Razor: Buck Salient SR by Caleb Cooper - Matte Black G10​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Quilted Sapele - 24mm Mother​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

I might use nothing but the GC.68 for a few weeks, and see how that works out. Compared with the Rockwell on R5 (0.69mm), it feels strangely mild, but I'm getting as good a shave with it. How does that work?

Still experimenting with different passes. I am doing two XTG (in opposite directions) on my neck and the results are great, I don't feel any need for ATG pass.
I tried ATG on my upper lip, and when it worked, it was excellent, but WTG followed by both directions XTG gives a good and repeatable result.

I might use nothing but the GC.68 for a few weeks, and see how that works out. Compared with the Rockwell on R5 (0.69mm), it feels strangely mild, but I'm getting as good a shave with it. How does that work?
How does the Tatara Masamune work with smaller gap and negative blade exposure, and it is almost just as efficient as Karve with plate B? Don't know. Magic I guess 😂

Still surviving:

Razor: Merkur Progress 510 @ Level 3​
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso After Shave Balm, Cypress & Vetyver​

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Wilkinson boar
Razor: GC.68, Astra SP #7
Post-shave: Brut AS, Nivea Balm.

Everything took longer than expected today; didn't make the new Arko puck, so had a Palmolive repeat.

How does the Tatara Masamune work with smaller gap and negative blade exposure, and it is almost just as efficient as Karve with plate B? Don't know. Magic I guess.😂

There's a lot going on with DE designs that I don't understand, even before we think about the YMMV factors.

Got a nice easy near-BBS with the GC.68 (and that agile Rockwell 6S handle again).

I undervalue the performance of the kit I own, because the more it is zeroed-in, the less novelty it has, and that makes me overestimate my chances of buying a better result, instead of earning one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom