What's new

October 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Ah, well... to me, engaging in that trade while on restraint would have felt like an alcoholic who's said to have given up the drink but still will have a pint of beer or a glass of port. If that were me, before I knew it I'd be quaffing buckets of brandy and buying every Super Speed in America.

Well said!

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, P74 #23, GC.68, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

I like the covered blade-tabs on the Game Changers. They make the GC.68 hard to beat for ATG and tidy-up.

If Razorock split the difference and did a GC.76, maybe that would be my desert island razor.

Still in. SOTD - 17 OCT 2020

SOTD 10172020.jpg

Good shave. I'm always having trouble with shave sticks though. I think I apply too much on the face and can never hydrate it enough. I'll be going for less soap next time around. Shavette felt good during the shave but slightly rough result at the end. Decent DFS.

I'm always having trouble with shave sticks though. I think I apply too much on the face and can never hydrate it enough. I'll be going for less soap next time around.

When I used to apply as much as some Youtube shavers do, meaning the whole stubble area has to become white with soap, then I had to spend 5 minutes adding water in order to properly integrate all the soap in the lather. Otherwise, there was always a film of unlathered soap on the skin. Nowadays, I apply soap only on the chin area and that is more than enough for my 2.5 passes.

I’m in need of a ruling. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and naturally I said a razor. However the razor I am interested I’ve heard has an up to 6 week waiting period. So my lovely wife wants me to figure out what I want and then place the order for her for me. So it will hopefully be here before Christmas, so that she can wrap it and put it under the tree until December 25th.
Rule “3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask (or even hint) for shaving gear as gifts for any occasion.”
Would this be in violation of this rule or the GRUME?
Edit: the order has not been placed yet, wanted to see what the thought was here first.

IMHO, you are out when your wife pays for the razor, since you asked for the present. Could it wait until the end of the month?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I was getting a rash around my collar area that I assumed was from daily Cella use. I took Friday off from shaving, so it felt better yesterday, but yesterday's Cella shave caused more redness and agitation so I guess I really must back off the 3017 Cella plan. I've used Cella for years, but always occasionally as part of a giant soap rotation, and never had an issue. But I think daily use is too much...
So no shave again today, although tomorrow's shave is all laid out. GSB in the Fatip OC Grande, Simpson Chubby 2 in Super, and JM Fraser's shaving cream. Fraser's is loaded with glycerin and it always leads to a shave without irritation. I'll probably finish with Booster Island Bay Rum for consistency. The JM Fraser's is another product that could stand a 3017 treatment; it comes in 450 gram (1 pound) tubs, and I have two of them- Original and Mosswood, and both are 3/4 full.
I'm still in the restraint.

Still in.
Experimenting with different passes techniques. I skip the ATG pass and did two XTG passes in both directions.
As expected, not as close as with ATG pass, but no feel from AS. Lately, my AS has given me a bit more sting in one area, but today was different, no sting. Will have to experiment more.

I've used Cella for years, but always occasionally as part of a giant soap rotation, and never had an issue. But I think daily use is too much...
Cheap stick products pucked, Arko and Palmolive, seem to be well tolerated here, but I still switch them around, along with Boots Cream.

I don't know what would sensitise me, or why, but switching looks like a good way of not finding out.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Cream: Boots Cool Cologne, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68, Astra SP #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Using only the GC.68, I was expecting it to feel under-powered on the WTG bits, but it did the job, and gave me a near-BBS.

Top Bottom