What's new

October 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.
Survived a SAD attack and the inventory is going down and normal.
This is good. Will replenish Schaffmilch on the Grace day.

Hi, guys. I'm SO SORRY for not posting in this thread for so long! For some reason, I'm not getting notifications of posts, even though I'm watching the thread. I've gotten other notifications, but not for this one. And with work, and my birthday (including a visit from my in-laws...yes, that's a good thing!), and kid stuff, I've just been too busy to notice. I'll pull through for the last week of the thread, though.

Anyhoo, we might be setting a record here. We've only lost a few! I'm in, with no temptations. I even gave my FIL one of my Slims and he's happy as a clam. :)

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) @02flhtci
4) @Wtd1911
5) @naughtilus
6) @Cino
7) @RTM
8) @CarlosAT
9) Sotiris_A - out
10) Flintstone65 - out
11) @DBT
12) @Schnitzel52
13) @AZBronco
14) @tim33z
15) @Earcutter
16) @Heron
17) @Rory1262
18) @BigJ
19) @tomtom42
20) @cryhavoc
21) bigbrucefan - out
22) @bjm
23) @kingfisher
24) @GaryTha
25) PeteVK - out (Pasteur - amiright?)
26) @Rosseforp
27) @Robknock31 (on the down-low, though; shhh!)

For those still listed as in, it's time for a ROLL CALL!

Still in... I think. I purchased some containers for the soap labels my daughter made for me. No regrets.

I also bought a travel tube for my shaving brush to use during an upcoming trip since I didn't have one. Again, no regrets.

I'm doing much better in October than I did from June though September regarding the purchase of shaving products that include nine brushes and three soaps that are still NIB. No razors, soaps, or brushes so far this month and I consider that a major improvement. But if I am "voted off the island", I will take my lumps, forfeit both my trophy and prize money, and see you all in November.

I must admit my level of restraint is getting better and I think my participation in the GRUME helps in that regard. If I can make it through the temptations that are sure to come in November and December, I may just consider this self-diagnosed BAD/RAD/SAD condition somewhat under control.

Still in and had a great shave today!

Ever Ready 1914
GEM PTFE (1)
Mike's Lime
Vie-Long BGS2012 Butterscotch Beehive Natural Horse
Skin Bracer

Still in... I think. I purchased some containers for the soap labels my daughter made for me. No regrets.
Sounds fair to me.
I also bought a travel tube for my shaving brush to use during an upcoming trip since I didn't have one. Again, no regrets.
That's a need. You get a pass.

In the future, though, just go to your local pharmacy with brush in hand and ask for an empty pill tube that will fit. ;)
I'm doing much better in October than I did from June though September regarding the purchase of shaving products that include nine brushes and three soaps that are still NIB. No razors, soaps, or brushes so far this month and I consider that a major improvement. But if I am "voted off the island", I will take my lumps, forfeit both my trophy and prize money, and see you all in November.
Play on, sir. Over the next nine months, you can open one brush per month and have a three-soap rotation - you're all set!

Thanks @FoolishMortal

The look on my daughter's face when she saw the finished product was well worth it. In fairness to the other participants who have managed to tough it out, I'll take a win with an asterisk for the October GRUME.

I plan to use 2020 to break in the boar brushes in my current rotation and 3017 some soaps that have already seen some use. A puck lasts longer than I thought, but I guess that's a good thing.

Good luck to all remaining players!
Only eight more days to go...

In.
Unshaven for a week or so. Couple more days to go until flying back home. Looking like a hipster, and blending in with the crowd. Not ideal but better than irritated.
Could've ordered some soap samples but I know my sorry *** nature, I'd want the full tub(s) eventually, and I don't need them.
Bought one tuck of German Bolzano blades on location - never tried them before; used one in my first and only highly uncomfortable shave with AdP, sent home four by post to avoid dealing with the airport security. I'd like to give them a proper try in familiar surroundings. Binned remaining AdP.

Last edited:
Still in.

Pressed for time this morning, I had a choice to lather up a soap and shave with an SE or to use a non-lathering gel and shave with my Feather SS shavette. I chose the latter. A few drops of shave oil first, then water, then the gel (very similar to King of Shaves gel), then two quick passes with the shavette.

Wow. Really a nice shave. The only downside it that it was hard to see spots that had been missed because the gel is clear. On rinsing after the first pass I felt a spot or two that I had basically missed. It was a simple matter, and there was plenty of residual slickness, to clean those spots up.

I only had to use a tiny bit of the gel for the second pass because the residual slickness from the combination of the oil and the non-lathering gel was amazing.

I had such a great shave, it almost makes me think I should use this type of product more often. But I missed my fragrant, beautiful soap lather.

Still in*

Today's three-pass (one WTG and two XTG) shave involved my Muhle R41 with a Super-Max Blue Diamond blade, Tabac Original soap applied with a SOC boar brush. Post-shave comfort came from a 50/50 mix of witch hazel and aloe vera gel followed by Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. A great way to start the day!

I haven't been posting too many SOTD entries this month because I've been using the same four open-comb razors with the same Tabac soap all month with the same seven-brush rotation. I'm really looking forward to November when I can get back to some of my other razors and soaps to add a bit of variety to my morning routine.

And... I just unsubscribed from six email notifications from various vendors which should help shield me from temptations over the next couple of months. Life is good and getting better.

Last edited:
Still in.

Good shave today with the Feather SS. I don't know how many shaves I have on the Proline blade; it's a lot. 10 or more.

Software was a cream that I am beta-testing. Smooth two-pass plus touch up shave.

Probably going to load a fresh blade before my next shave on Sunday morning.

Top Bottom