What's new

October 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Still in.

With only 3 more days to go it will be a breeze, but I will have to take a pass on November, as yesterday was my birthday and my brother tells me he just got me a Puma, some brushes and soaps from Italy that he is sending me :straight::thumbup:

Still in this month - i think that'll be 3 in a row.
Now the dilemma of "do I or don't I?" for November...

There is only 1 thing that is calling my name and i strongly believe it will drop in November. I might take a month off but play along unofficially at home.
I'm in a similar boat (except for the 3 in a row). As much as I joke about punishment above, I'm also looking for something that I expect to become available in November, so I will likely play along at home limiting purchases to an 11/1 restock and that one item when it becomes available and officially rejoin in December. I'll be with you guys in spirit during November in any event.

@FoolishMortal, thanks for setting this up and for the support throughout the month along with the rest of the guys/gals here. It's definitely helped control my ADs and I'm going to see this through Halloween which I didn't think was going to happen on October 1st. Woohoo!

-- Carlos
GwT, TB, Oct GRUME

Still in, no sweat. Shaved with the Feather SS, second shave on the ProGuard blade. Lather was Soapy Science Doc's Special Blend. Nice two-passer. No troubles. No temptation.

Still unofficially in. Used the Dorco Prime Platinum STP-301 for the final time. Started really pulling this shave. Fortunately, have no shortage of blades, and replaced it with a Wilkerson. Should have used another blade that wouldn't last as long, but didn't really think far beyond "Nope" after this last shave. VDH shaving soap, did a three pass to get all the good out of this blade (usually a one-pass).

Still in!
SOTD
Face only

Timeless Bronze. 38
Astra SP x2
Thater Premium White Boar
Mitchells Wool Fat
Nivea Post Shave Balm

Good DFS shave. Still love the Fat. The Timeless Bronze .38 is just too mild for my 2 to 3 day growth. Need to try the .78 Open comb. Anyone want to swap plates????

20191029_133635.jpg

Still in.

With only 3 more days to go it will be a breeze, but I will have to take a pass on November, as yesterday was my birthday and my brother tells me he just got me a Puma, some brushes and soaps from Italy that he is sending me :straight::thumbup:
How would that keep you out? He didn't spend your money on the gifts, did he? :LMS

Still in. Having no power since Saturday has certainly helped. Still off at home, but on at the office.
Huh - you must be in California, like me. Thankfully, my little pockets of the world (home and work) haven't been hit with power outages (yet), but we're dealing with a fair bit of smoke. 🚭

Stay safe.

@FoolishMortal, thanks for setting this up and for the support throughout the month along with the rest of the guys/gals here. It's definitely helped control my ADs and I'm going to see this through Halloween which I didn't think was going to happen on October 1st. Woohoo!

-- Carlos
GwT, TB, Oct GRUME
Well, I'm starting these threads for selfish reasons. Don't tell the others, but it's really YOU GUYS who are supporting ME! :D

Still in and had a great shave today

Ever Ready 1914
GEM PTFE (6)
Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad shave soap
Vie-Long BGS2012 Butterscotch Beehive Natural Horse
Skin Bracer

Sorry no pictures.

SOTD
FACE

Timeless Titanium .95OC/Scalloped
Voshkod x1
TOBS Platinum Cream
WCS Honeycomb Tuxedo

Needed a 15 minute shave tonight so reached for a cream. TOBS Platinum. First time ever using a Voshkod blade. Got a great BBS shave! I found the blade to to be very smooth and efficient (Astra SP is still #1 for me, just a sharper blade) but would be a good mild everyday blade. My second time with the cream I've had for a year. Great slickness and good post shave. I do prefer soaps but this is fast. All in all, great for a fast shave. No redness, nicks or irritation. Can't ask for much more. Post shave I did reach for the AoS Unscented post shave balm since its bedtime. The AoS balm is great.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Still in.

Wednesday, October 30
55 Red Tip
Gillette Platinum(1)
The Boss(White Knight)
MWF

I got a tuck of the Gillette Platinum blades when I got my Merkur15C in July, and I got 24 shaves with the first blade. I decided to try one with my favorite Gillette and give MWF another chance. I had used it for the first 2 weeks this month and wasn't really impressed.
Well maybe it was the blade, razor, or brush combo, but tonight's shave was really nice.

Final shave of the GRUME this morning. Feather SS, ProGuard. RazoRock What the Puck? Orange Sunrise. Stirling Satsuma aftershave splash. The Orange Sunrise and the Satsuma went really well together. I had a nice, citrusy shave this morning.

Happy to have made it through the October GRUME!

Logging the last one for this October. Used Bolzano (2) blade instead of my go-to Personna. I like Bolzano - very smooth and slightly less sharp than Personna, again - definitely smoother.
Silvertip whips textbook lather on softer soaps. EJ is a working horse of razor, just watch the angle.
This type of shave makes one feel Zen-like.
Bought nothing, wanted couple of things - even could've justified the purchase; I held out and got this month right.
Thank you for your support gentlemen.

My last shave of the month was provided by a Muhle R41 / Super-Max Blue Diamond combo. The final lather of Tabac (for a while) was applied with a Semogue Owners Club (Cherry Wood) boar brush. The result was a really great three-pass (one WTG, two XTG) shave with no nicks, cuts, or irritation. Post-shave comfort came from a mentholated 50/50 mix of witch hazel and aloe vera gel.

I’m out. No, I didn’t succumb to any temptations on the last day of the GRUME. I bought a couple of items earlier this month that I really could have waited to purchase. Even though I received a pass on both of them, I would rather forfeit a challenge than win on a technicality. My conscience is now clear.

Congratulations to all GRUME survivors, and better luck next time to those that didn’t make it to the end. This was my third attempt and my third fail. I had considered participating in the November and December GRUME events, but I think I’ll take a break for a while. Thanks for the support and I wish you all continued success. Be well…

I made it through the month. I almost fell out accidentally when I got an e-mail for the Italian Barber moving sale. Proraso red and green soaps were only $2.99 (both favorites and I'm out of both) and the AS splash was only $5.99--plus a few other things I wanted to try. Anyway, I remembered that I have 8 soaps in my stash, which will last me a good 2 years and I walked away. Happy Halloween, y'all!

I made it through the month. I almost fell out accidentally when I got an e-mail for the Italian Barber moving sale. Proraso red and green soaps were only $2.99 (both favorites and I'm out of both) and the AS splash was only $5.99--plus a few other things I wanted to try. Anyway, I remembered that I have 8 soaps in my stash, which will last me a good 2 years and I walked away. Happy Halloween, y'all!
Well played, sir!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I made it through my first GRUME, although Italian Barber has really tempted me with some great sales on soaps. Then I remembered in 48 hours they will have another sale and it will be November....

For the last shave of the month I used my GC 84 for only the 2nd time.

Thursday, October 31
GC 84
Gillette Platinum(2)
The Boss
MWP

Started out with a pretty damp brush, about 100 swirls and lots of whipping up a nice lather. The 1st pass WTG, right away the GC went to work around my lips with ease. With light to no pressure the blade just does it's job effortlessly. The 2nd pass was mostly XTG with lots of stretching and the GC just singing away. I could hear it cutting but it was super smooth. Really nice and close shave. The Witch hazel just felt cool and so did the AV, not a hint of irritation. DFS

20191031_194650[1].jpg

Top Bottom