What's new

New Glocks

On Jan 21, Glock released two new guns.

43X - 10 round single stack with the top end of the 43.
48 - 10 round single stack with the top end of the 19 (maybe thinned a bit).

I almost understand the 43x, but a ten round 19?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
On Jan 21, Glock released two new guns.

43X - 10 round single stack with the top end of the 43.
48 - 10 round single stack with the top end of the 19 (maybe thinned a bit).

I almost understand the 43x, but a ten round 19?

The 43X and the 48 have the exact same frame. Their slides, are also the exact same width. So the 48 is alot thinner then the regular thickness of a G19. At first, I really didn't understand the 43X and leaned totally towards the 48 making more sense to me.

Mostly because, the slide, is the easiest part of the pistol to conceal. The 48 slide only has an inch on the 43, but both have the exact same frame and 10 round magazine's are interchangeable. I think the G48 with it's longer sight radius, will sell great to those in states which only allow for lower capacity magazines. I think the 43X will sell great to people who like to carry appendix, and want the shorter slide, but like the higher capacity over the 6 round first generation G43.

My wife has the first gen G43. The only way she will carry is appendix and likes the shorter slide because it doesn't dig into her hip when she leans forward or is in the sitting position. She also uses and carries, Vickers Tactical, +2 magazine extensions for 8 rounds instead of 6. I plan on getting her the G48 so she can have the longer slide for range time or whatever and she can also take her first gen 43 slide and pair it up with the 48 frame for 10 rounds instead of 8 rounds, which still happens to be the same length as her original with the +2 extensions.

I've tried to convince her to let me sell her G43 and get her a Sig P365 like mine, but she is a stubborn and onery, Glock fangirl and thinks Glock can do no wrong. I can't stand people like that. :)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I've tried to convince her to let me sell her G43 and get her a Sig P365 like mine, but she is a stubborn and onery, Glock fangirl and thinks Glock can do no wrong. I can't stand people like that. :)

Glocks suck, what is wrong with her Rob?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The siren song of the SIG P365 is so loud, it's deafening!

"bbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy mmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ..................."

AA

Just curious and thinking outside the box a little.....why has the S&W Shield fallen so far off the grid?
Not too long ago it was the best selling pistol on the market.
I am really not certain that for the want of two additional rounds, the SIG P365 or either of the new Glocks are all that game changing.
I own and like both the P365 and Shield (and a Glock 26 if that matters here). Actually both do a fine job if used for what they are designed for...
a close quarter defensive weapon. In the real world one has to ask, “Are two extra rounds going to make a huge (if any difference)?”
....and now I’m waiting for the .45 version of the P365 to show up on the horizon. That will be fun.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Although I have not even held or shot one yet, for me the main attraction to the P365 is it's apparent shootability, not so much the extra round count. Although I love my Kahr PM9, it functions fine, carries great and is more accurate than I am, like most small autos, it takes a higher degree of effort to engage multiple targets quickly. I've been seduced by a recent YouTube video that shows a competitive shooter engaging multiple targets quickly as if he were shooting a full sized gun.

Last edited:
Last visit from the Glock rep he stated Glock sales were down 35%, I don't know the ## for the other makers. When was the last time you saw Glock release 4 new pistols (19X, 43X, 45, 48) in a few months?

Shield is still our top seller, easily selling 2 for 1 of any other compact pistol. Walther PPS & Glock 43 are the next best sellers. Ruger EC9s sells well, mostly due to $249.95. Sig P365s could be our best seller, but they are hard to get and when they come in they are gone in a day or two. Pocket Rocket 380s (LCP, P238, etc.) we can't give away anymore, a couple years ago they dominated the concealed market for us. Notably, carry size revolver sales have had a good increase and are coming close to our carry pistol sales.

Keep in mind, what really sells in a shop is what the staff is putting in customers hands, not the dusty stuff that rarely gets pulled out to show. Excite the staff on a product and sales go up. Some of my folks are so brand oriented they rarely sell anything else, and few customers come in wanting a specific gun or brand, so they buy what they are shown.

What has really changed is customers are now wanting the top-shelf firearms, versus the inexpensive plastic & dull stuff that ruled the market for the last several years. I'm special ordering a lot of Custom Shop offerings, walnut & gloss blue rifles, $1500+ 1911s, and such. A lot of fun now being a store buyer.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

In my opinion the S&W Shield is a big gun compared to the P365, the G43, the Kahr PM9 and the likes. Same with the G26.

People want not necessarily smaller carry guns, the Shield is smaller, but they want thinner carry guns. The Shield and G26 are pretty wide compared to the 365 and 43.

Where the Shield stays competitive among CCW’s is the great low price. A thinner gun might not matter as much to someone who always carries OWB looking at you @Acmemfg but most CCW’s think IWB before OWB.

And when I think Shield compared to the P365 I don’t think only Two less rounds for the Shield I think an available 12 round magazine for the 365 but still not any taller then the 8 round Shield. I haven’t even looked at my 10 rounders since I picked up my 12 rounders.

Like @nortac always says, you’ll never hear anyone who’s been in a gunfight, ask for less rounds. I understand that in a typical self defense situation no one needs 12 rounds. But who do you know prepares for “the typical” when concerning matters of life and death?

I always hope for the best, but I also always prepare for the worst. If the bad guy has a gun and also begins shooting back? I can still bring 13 rounds to the fight? And in a light, small, thin? Very concealable but still shoots like a bigger gun?

The Sig P365 has arrived and Elvis has left the building.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks for the model comparisons @OkieStubble . Thin is definitely in. I haven't carried my G27 since fanny packs went out of style (were they ever in style?). There is no guarantee that you'll only be confronted with only one miscreant that wants to do you bodily harm, particularly with today's rising social unrest and protests of anarchists who may want to burn your car and mess you up in the process.

OkieStubble

Thanks for the model comparisons @OkieStubble . Thin is definitely in. I haven't carried my G27 since fanny packs went out of style (were they ever in style?). There is no guarantee that you'll only be confronted with only one miscreant that wants to do you bodily harm, particularly with today's rising social unrest and protests of anarchists who may want to burn your car and mess you up in the process.

Booty bags went out right around 1990. The G27 was introduced in 96'. That must have been a rough 6 years. ;)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Booty bags went out right around 1990. The G27 was introduced in 96'. That must have been a rough 6 years. ;)

Not if you are a middle aged tourist wearing black socks with shorts! (Not me!). Actually I have an kydex IWB and a Wilderness nylon zip slide holster for my G 27 that was used for most of my carry modes, although I briefly tried the fanny pack thing, but quickly opted against it. I shot the G27 a few times in tactical matches. At the time my duty weapon was the SIG P229 in .40 S&W.

OkieStubble

Not if you are a middle aged tourist wearing black socks with shorts! (Not me!). Actually I have an kydex IWB and a Wilderness nylon zip slide holster for my G 27 that was used for most of my carry modes, although I briefly tried the fanny pack thing, but quickly opted against it. I shot the G27 a few times in tactical matches. At the time my duty weapon was the SIG P229 in .40 S&W.

Lol'd. :)

14F509E5-FD08-43DF-8EB5-FD417F5F170F.jpeg
Pretty good article that sheds light on the size concerns

9mm Micro Shootout – Sig P365 vs. Glock 43 vs. S&W Shield
...and yes. The P365 does carry quite well. This R.Grizzle GS2 took a long time to properly break in. Once it got there...effortless all-day carry. Easily concealed with a t-shirt.

Last edited:
Actually, fanny packs have come back in style. Some call them belt bags, waist bags, or messenger bags; they are not always worn as before. Here is one by Carhartt.
proxy.php

Here is how some wear the traditional fanny bag.
proxy.php

I went to a gun show recently and was surprised at how many styles were made for concealed carry. Out here backpacks and messenger bags are used by many.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Actually, fanny packs have come back in style. Some call them belt bags, waist bags, or messenger bags; they are not always worn as before. Here is one by CarharttHere is how some wear the traditional fanny bag.
proxy.php

I went to a gun show recently and was surprised at how many styles were made for concealed carry. Out here backpacks and messenger bags are used by many.

But I don't have the tats and man-bun to pull that off!

In my opinion the S&W Shield is a big gun compared to the P365, the G43, the Kahr PM9 and the likes. Same with the G26.

People want not necessarily smaller carry guns, the Shield is smaller, but they want thinner carry guns. The Shield and G26 are pretty wide compared to the 365 and 43.

We have had this discussion before and as I said then I agree the 365 is in a class all it's own with its size and capacity. I just don't understand why you think the shield is so big when in fact it is thinner than both the G43 and the 365 and it is also shorter than the G43. In fact even my Shield 45 is thinner than the G43 and is less than 1/4" longer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom