What's new

New Glocks

Did Glock enter this segment of the market because there was a need for a single stack 9MM with a narrower frame and slide, or just to capture a market share. On Glock's part there is nothing innovative pertaining to a single stack 9MM other than it being offered by Glock.If you learn how to dress around you're daily you can easily carry a double stack 9MM which allows for a larger amount of rounds to be carried, thus less of a need to carry an extra magazine.
Just a view from the cheap seats. Glock 19
glock 001.JPG

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It can be argued that one should always carry an extra magazine, regardless of capacity, to facilitate a rapid malfunction clearance under dire circumstances. If a simple "Tap, Rack, Bang" doesn't resolve the malfunction, it's time to jettison the offending mag and load a new one. Some would even argue to skip the TRB and go straight to a new magazine. The reason we carry a concealed weapon is for those unforeseen dire circumstances.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
We have had this discussion before and as I said then I agree the 365 is in a class all it's own with its size and capacity. I just don't understand why you think the shield is so big when in fact it is thinner than both the G43 and the 365 and it is also shorter than the G43. In fact even my Shield 45 is thinner than the G43 and is less than 1/4" longer.

No shame in my game. I'm not too proud to be wrong.

However, The Glock 43, is 6.26 inches in length, while the .45 Shield is longer at 6.5 inches. The Glock 43 is 4.25 inches tall, while your Shield .45 is taller at 4.88. The Glock 43 weighs in at 16.23 ounces and your Shield .45 is heavier at 20.5 ounces. The slide width on the G43 is 0.87 of an inch while the Shield .45 is wider than the G43 at .953 inches.

So you see sir, your statement of it being thinner than both the G43 and the Sig P365, just doesn't pan out from any of the specs that I googled. Even the slide of the S&W Shield in 9mm is still 0.95 inches which is wider then both the P365 and G43.

I apologize if you think I have slighted the S&W Shield in my previous post. It wasn't my intention. I think the Shield is a fine pistol and can/will fulfill many peoples carry needs. My only points have been and will remain, that there are other micro 9's that are smaller, and thinner and easier to carry "inside the waistband" with the same, or larger round count that still feel and shoot as big as your Shield.

I never said, the Shield wouldn't work or was terrible at those same things. I think the S&W Shield is a fine pistol.

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble
I have one 12 round magazine, two 10 round
You care to sell one of your cast aside 10 rounders?

I actually plan on picking up another 10 rounder so I can have 3 10's and 3 12's. I haven't been in shorts and a t-shirt for some time, but if I ever do, I plan on carrying those ten rounders. :)

No shame in my game. I'm not too proud to be wrong.

However, The Glock 43, is 6.26 inches in length, while the .45 Shield is longer at 6.5 inches. The Glock 43 is 4.25 inches tall, while your Shield .45 is taller at 4.88. The Glock 43 weighs in at 16.23 ounces and your Shield .45 is heavier at 20.5 ounces. The slide width on the G43 is 0.87 of an inch while the Shield .45 is wider than the G43 at .953 inches.

So you see sir, your statement of it being thinner than both the G43 and the Sig P365, just doesn't pan out from any of the specs that I googled. Even the slide of the S&W Shield in 9mm is still 0.95 inches which is wider then both the P365 and G43.

I'm not feeling hurt or upset or slighted by your previous posts and I'm not putting down you or the G43, I don't even own a 9mm Shield, but I do love my Shield 45. I'm just trying to put some more accurate information out for others who may not be familiar with both guns because in my opinion the slight differences in the dimensions of the the guns does not mean one is a "big gun" compared to the other.

As you can see they are very comparable in size.
Shield-G43.jpg

Shield 9mm with extended 8 round magazine and Glock 43

In my post I admitted the Shield 45 was almost 1/4" longer than the Glock 43 but the 6.1" Shield 9mm is shorter than the 6.26" Glock 43. When I said in my post that both Shields were thinner than the Glock 43, I was using frame width not slide width. The Glock 43 frame is 1.02" wide which is slightly wider than the frame of either the 9mm Shield which is .95" or the Shield 45 which is .99".

Last edited:

OkieStubble

When I said in my post that both Shields were thinner than the Glock 43, I was using frame width not slide width.

But it is the width of a pistol's slide, which sits between a persons hip and belt that makes it uncomfortable or comfortable for inside the waist band carry for most people, not the frame?

In this picture, the 9mm Shield is clearly, the larger one of the three.

3-5.jpg

If you will carefully notice, in the picture, there isn't much difference, between the G43 and the Sig P365. And there also, isn't much difference, between the G43 and the S&W 9mm Shield. But take that G43 out of the middle of that pic? And there is quite the difference, between the Sig P365 and the S&W Shield.

Saying all this, might not make much of a difference for a really large male. In fact, the smaller pistol, may even be a detriment. But for an average to smaller stature sized person? A smaller pistol, which still shoots like a bigger pistol and with a greater round count?

It's all individual perspective and opinion anyway based off our own separate experiences. I'm sure, there's someone out there, who thinks the Desert Eagle is still comparable. My opinion remains the same. I think the Shield is the bigger gun. Especially in .45 ACP.

Last edited:
Like I said comparing the 365 to the others is unfair beause it is in its own class. Both the front part of the frame and the slide go between you and your belt when carrying IWB but even if they didn't I doubt most people would notice the .08" difference in slide width when carrying either of them. Also I think the extra 1/4” in height for the 9mm Shield is worth it since it has an extra round in the magazine. My whole point in both my posts is not whether the Shield is better than the G43 or not, but rather that you make it seem like the Shield is so much larger than the G43 when the dimensions of both guns are so similar.

Length: Shield 6.1" G43 6.26"
Height: Shield 4.6" G43 4.25"
Slide Width: Shield .95". G43 .87"
Frame Width: Shield .95". G43 1.02"

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Like I said comparing the 365 to the others is unfair beause it is in its own class.

I agree.

Both the front part of the frame and the slide go between you and your belt when carrying IWB

I agree. Pretty sure, I even stated this, somewhere in one of the above posts.

but even if they didn't I doubt most people would notice the .08" difference in slide width when carrying either of them.

Define most people? Out of curiosity, What is your height and weight?

Also I think the extra 1/4” in height for the 9mm shield is worth it since it has an extra round in the magazine.

I thought this exact same thing, as did many others I'm sure, when the Shield first went into production and itself, was the new kid (Game Changer) on the block. How times have changed. :) The Shield, is an 8+1 and is taller then my wife's G43 with +2 Vickers extensions, which give her, 8+1.

Look at the pic I posted again. if you section the view of each pistol's comparisons.

1. Look at all three grips side by side. The Shield's is taller and wider from front strap to back strap.

2. Now look at the trigger guards of all three, side by side. The Shield's is taller and longer, front to back.

3. Now look at the height of the front of all three just in front of the trigger guards, from the bottom of the frame to the top of the slide by the front sight of each pistol. The Shield is taller and bigger. The 9mm Shield, not your .45, beats only the G43 in length being 3/16 of an inch shorter. But like you said, "the front of the slide, goes into the pants and is the easiest to conceal."

My whole point in both my posts is not whether the Shield is better than the G43 or not

I agree.

but rather that you make it seem the size of both guns are so similar

I respectfully disagree. You attempting personal conjecture to argue a semantic sir, is not me having some kind of agenda in "making it seem" like anything good sir.

@Acmemfg posted a post mentioning the Shield. I simply and only, gave my personal opinion in reference to his post, just as a few other members did before me, in which I said; "I think" the Shield looks big compared to the Sig P365 and the G43.

My question to you is, would you be accusing me of anything right now, if you didn't, just so happen to personally own a Shield?

You can agree to disagree my friend, I won't be mad at you.

Last edited:
Well. One thing is for sure.
The Shield magazines (both 9mm and.45) are a sight easier to load to capacity than the 12 round SIG. At least when new.

Top Bottom