What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I have a nickel-plated Fatip Grande. Once I gave up trying to enjoy the feel of its supernaturally luxurious comb whilst shaving, it became an adorable mix of gentle and efficient goodness. Of course, it’s easier to reach for other razors because I had to give enjoying my favorite part of it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wes, I can't wait to try it. Btw, what's up with Connaught? They've stated they're having a clearance on EU soaps: Cella and Proraso. Are they discontinuing them? Is it no longer cost effective to import?

Brexit + global pandemic.

Deliveries are slow and complex. Disputes are still ongoing about the paperwork requirements for certain goods. Confusion exists over what taxes are payable, for what products, by who and to whom. Shortage of lorry drivers. Some supermarkets are now offering a bonus just for drivers to come and START working for them. Confusion, plus uncertainty, plus slow moving goods and choked up borders, are proving a challenge for small business especially. The longer they have to wait for an incoming shipment, the longer their cash is tied up in goods they cannot sell, and they cannot even be certain when they'll receive them.

Connaught has decided they want out of selling certain products from the EU. In time, they may well start selling them again. Or switch to selling other products instead.

That's my take on it all anyway.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Brexit + global pandemic.

Deliveries are slow and complex. Disputes are still ongoing about the paperwork requirements for certain goods. Confusion exists over what taxes are payable, for what products, by who and to whom. Shortage of lorry drivers. Some supermarkets are now offering a bonus just for drivers to come and START working for them. Confusion, plus uncertainty, plus slow moving goods and choked up borders, are proving a challenge for small business especially. The longer they have to wait for an incoming shipment, the longer their cash is tied up in goods they cannot sell, and they cannot even be certain when they'll receive them.

Connaught has decided they want out of selling certain products from the EU. In time, they may well start selling them again. Or switch to selling other products instead.

That's my take on it all anyway.
^^^This makes sense^^^ in an Occam's Razor sort of way. Thank you Al. I'll go with that.

Is it no longer cost effective to import?

That would be my guess. I think Al just about nailed it.

I had a telephone conversation with Anthony at Shave Lounge before he decided to stop trading and he told me that he doesn't really make any money on Proraso but sells it anyway. The margins on imported goods are often a lot smaller than we might imagine. Someone with buying power like Amazon can get away with it but for smaller companies it's not so easy. Brexit probably nudged it over the line of doable.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I just ordered 250 Wizmet Super Iridium Blades. I don't know why? The buy button spoke to me, I guess. It is conceivably possible I could run out of blades in some sort of parallel universe conjunction. It could happen. You can never be too sure of these things. I hope they're as good as Polsilvers. Happy shaves!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Rave,

In a follow up to your query about Connaught and the reasons for EU clearance I found this statement from Agent Shave, another good supplier here.

BREXIT - Temporary International Brands Withdrawal - https://agentshave.co.uk/blog/brexit-temporary-international-brands-withdrawal/

Bad news for us shavers in the UK. Thanks Brexit!
I wonder if you can buy from Maggards and Gifts and Care from Spain, or are they prohibited from shipping these items to the UK until this clears up? I would love to buy some aftershave splashes from Gifts and Care, but they are prohibited from shipping to the USA.

I wonder if you can buy from Maggards and Gifts and Care from Spain, or are they prohibited from shipping these items to the UK until this clears up? I would love to buy some aftershave splashes from Gifts and Care, but they are prohibited from shipping to the USA.

Maggards can't ship aftershave but can probably ship everything else. Gifts and Care can probably ship everything. The legal problem affects the sale of cosmetics by UK businesses and, subsequently, what they can import. Post Brexit changes to customs means there's always a chance of a hefty customs charge on any orders outside of the UK, though this has always stood for purchasing outside of the EU. I've heard that Maggards are pretty good about labelling the value of overseas orders to fall under the customs threshold but they won't do it by request so you never know for certain until the package arrives. There may be ways around it but it's still a bummer, not least for the small business owners like Connaught. Of course none of this affects someone like Boris Johnson. His latest monthly grocery bill was the modest sum of £27,000.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Top Bottom